9 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

If the bodyguard was protecting Haines, a Quantum member, why did they killed him? unless the bodyguiard was contracted by the Goverment and know anything of Haines assosiation with Quantum.

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

If the bodyguard was protecting Haines, a Quantum member, why did they killed him? unless the bodyguiard was contracted by the Goverment and know anything of Haines assosiation with Quantum.

I would imagine your second point is correct. The bodyguard was employed by the British Government, and was unaware of Haines' illicit activities.

#3 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

Remember, Greene says something implying Haines' bodyguard isn't part of Quantum. "Then he shouldn't be looking at me"

#4 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

He saw Greene, Greene's meant to be a CEO of a shell company, not the sort of bloke working fr the enemy.

#5 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

It is not even clear why Haines' bodyguard start chasing and shooting at Bond in the first place. And Bond asked him twice but only got "piss off" back. Why is it a big secret to be a bodyguard to Haines?

#6 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

It is not even clear why Haines' bodyguard start chasing and shooting at Bond in the first place.

Maybe he wanted to join to the funny shootout in the dinner room instead of tolerating Tosca :(

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:23 AM

It is not even clear why Haines' bodyguard start chasing and shooting at Bond in the first place.

Yeah, this confuses me a bit too. When Bond first looks down the gangway and sees someone running up it I just thought it was one of the stage hands. At this time no one has detected Bond for who he is so it may just be another example of poor editing.

#8 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:22 AM

Yeah, this confuses me a bit too. When Bond first looks down the gangway and sees someone running up it I just thought it was one of the stage hands. At this time no one has detected Bond for who he is so it may just be another example of poor editing.

Well, even if at this point he has not been detected exactly as "Bond, James Bond", he may have been spotted as "an intruder backstage who is in a perfect shooting position, in fornt of a crow among which many high ranking officials are like sitting ducks", so it would make sense for a security staff member to come up running to him.

Coming back to Haines' bodyguard, the "piss off" line makes perfect sense to me from a Special Branch agent to a man he considers a terrorist or something in the like. In the same situation, I could very well imagine Bond saying something along those lines.

BUT that said, someone on this forum (I can't remember who) pointed out that it was the same guy who was behind Greene when his group met Bond down the stairs and they looked at each other before. And the bodyguard started chasing Bond when Green gave him a nod. If this is true, it is indeed weird and confusing from Greene to act as if he didn't know him.

#9 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:12 AM

Aside from being a Quantum member, Haines is a political identity, and thus warrants some protection from Special Branch. Special Branch obviously do not know of th existence of Quantum, and thus believe it is a routine assignment. When Haines leaves prematurely, Special Branch would believe he's in danger (even if Haines didn't tell them outright), and thus pursue Bond. But Bond assumed the Special Branch operative was working for Quantum, and so dropped him off the opera house. But as he wasn't a Quantum operative, Greene ordered his death because the man, while wounded, may be able to identify him.

#10 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

BUT that said, someone on this forum (I can't remember who) pointed out that it was the same guy who was behind Greene when his group met Bond down the stairs and they looked at each other before. And the bodyguard started chasing Bond when Green gave him a nod. If this is true, it is indeed weird and confusing from Greene to act as if he didn't know him.

It is not true.