Discuss this story in this thread.

Captain Tightpants presents
DANIEL CRAIG

as Ian Fleming's
JAMES BOND 007 in

DO SVIDANIA

Prologue - The Right Words to Say

Izhevsk, Russia

It was a nice day for somebody else to die.

Nestled on the western side of the Ural Mountains, Izhevsk was still feeling the hangover of a particularly stringent winter. The snow had long since melted, but the mid-March weather was unusually cold, thanks in part to the cloudless sky overhead. The pale blue expanse was rapidly fading to purple, broken only by a golden-orange glow to the west that marked the final resting place of the sun.

The final resting place. It seemed an appropriate analogy, given the rows and rows of featureless headstones that dominated the landscape. Each one was identical, placed in a series of long arcs that wrapped themselves around the front of a natural hill, almost as if anyone standing there was in an amphitheatre of the dead. A lone star and the faintest sliver of the moon were the only other spectators to the gathering two thirds of the way down the hill.

They stood in stony silence, the kind that was a given at funerals. Mourners dressed in wall to wall black gathered around the casket. The polished wood and silver handles gave its simple design an air of quality, and as such it was perfectly suited to its lone occupant. This thought was enough to pull very slightly at the corners of one mourner’s mouth. Even in death, Tsetsiliya Mihalyova knew how to wear clothes. She knew how clothes looked on her, and did not lie to herself about her figure unlike so many young women who underdressed to the point where the looked like prostitutes.

The fond memory dissipated as quickly as it had formed. Tsetsiliya had been young; too young to be spending eternity with the countless other inhabitants of the hillside. Such was often the way things worked, however cruel and unseemly it might be to those who gathered about, united by the common thread of grief. Tears were flowing for more than one person, intermittent sobs that occasionally broke over the sound of the priest’s droning. His voice was perfectly suited to a member of the clergy; softly-spoken, but with a presence of its own that drew the ear of anyone within range. He spoke in Russian, and though the mourner who remembered Tsetsiliya for her smile could understand it, he chose not to listen.

By twist of fate, the priest finished his prayers at the moment the sun did what it had been threatening to do for the past half hour, and finally disappeared beyond the horizon, out of reach for another night. The gathering steadily broke up, often one at a time, but the faces were ephemeral to the man, strangers who he would likely never see again, and if he did, he would not remember them, or they him. He waited until they had gone, taken back to the lights of Izhevsk and the lives that awaited them there, until he was alone by the casket. There would be gravediggers somewhere about, but they kept at a discreet distance for which he was thankful. He approached the casket slowly, and affectionately ran a gloved hand along its polished surface. It was likely he would never return to this place, even if he had the option of it; it was time to say good-bye, for now and forever. He paused for a long moment, trying to think of something he could say in farewell, but nothing seemed to fit. He waited, breathing the renewed chill that nightfall had brought with it, as if anticipating the right moment. And finally, the right words to say came to him.

“Do svidania.”

#2 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

I - 'The Beginning, the End, and Everything In Between'

The small balcony was semi-circular in shape, ringed by a wrought-iron balustrade that fell just short of waist level and as a consequence seemed dangerously low and made anyone who stood on it feel exposed. It was something of an afterthought, as it hardly afforded one with a view worth writing home about; rather, the wide panorama was of one of the city’s busiest thoroughfares, which at this hour was populated with a stream of cars. Their lights denoted their position and their path, threading through the city’s streets like a slowly-flowing river through a delta.

Fortunately, the view was to the south and east, almost but not quite the cardinal opposite to the direction of the cemetery. James Bond leaned his elbows against the charcoal-coloured pattern of iron – perhaps somewhat awkwardly given its size – and tried not to think about it. He was not one for contemplating the meaning of life, the universe and everything in it; trying to comprehend the sheer vastness of it all was likely to make his head explode. Rather, he focused on what he felt counted; the memories of a fallen friend. The wind seemed to respond to his thoughts, caressing his face as it whistled past and sending a shiver down his spine. Hardier men might retire to the sanctuary of the warm hotel room, but Bond’s presence on the balcony was no accident. It had been a day like this where the story began, and as he dwelt on it, everything steadily seemed to merge.

This was another day, another place.

Another life, punctuated by another death.

Rome, Italy
Four years previously

“Are you alright out there?” Felix Leiter asked from somewhere inside the hotel room. “You’ve been standing out there for hours.”

“You don’t have to worry about me, Felix.” Bond replied. “I’m quite comfortable with heights. Comfortable enough that you don’t have to worry about me going over the edge.”

“It’s not you I’m worried about,” the man from the CIA replied, appearing at Bond’s side. “But I’d take it as a kindness if you did. If Jeanmaise or someone intimate enough with him spots you standing before the city like it owes you something, he may be inclined to make himself disappear.”

“He won’t. He’s arrogant enough to believe he’s big enough to make a scene, but small enough to fly under the radar as it were. Besides, we know exactly where he is right now and it’s somewhere other than his hotel room. Something else is on your mind, Felix.”

“It’s this job,” Leiter admitted, though Bond noted his friend wasn’t looking at him. “I don’t know about you, but I’ve been playing this game for a long time now. My first assignments were usually along the lines of watching the Russians, trying to work out whether they might make a play for Pakistan if ever they somehow managed to hold Afghanistan for long enough. Now we’re working for them.”

“Felix, we’re helping them. We might be doing their job for them, but it doesn’t mean we’re working with them. It also helps that it’s interesting, that we’re not getting shot at and that it doesn’t involve lengthy paper trails written for people who will only ever read them if we make a mistake and are apparently oblivious to the idea that if we ever do slip up, we won’t be in a position to write them because we’ll be somewhat more dead than we would have been if we hadn’t made the mistake in the first place.”

“That’s very droll, but not what I had in mind. Sooner or later, there’s going to come a day when the Cold War is just a memory. That kind of frightens me a little bit,” he said simply.

“You’re worried the world is moving on too quickly?”

“No. I’m worried that I’m accepting it too quickly. A year ago, I would have had reservations about working with Moscow, especially after South Ossetia but ten? It never would have entered my mind, and by then the Iron Curtain had been gone for just as long.”

“Old habits die hard?”

“Something like that. If everything changes so quickly, does anything that we do matter?”

“Somebody certainly seems to think so,” Bond replied, nodding discreetly across the gap between their hotel and the next. A light had appeared on the tenth floor, the third window from the right. A common enough site, but more than enough to pique their interest as they had spent the past few hours watching it. A figure was moving about inside the room.

“You recognise them?” Leiter asked.

“Couldn’t say. Get the camera, I want to know who it is,” Bond instructed. Leiter disappeared from the balcony and appeared moments later with a camera armed with a telescopic lens in hand. Angling it at the window opposite, he hastily took a few photographs before the light turned off and the hotel was dark again. Leiter recalled the pictures from the camera’s memory and showed them to Bond.”

“They tell you anything?” he asked.

“Only that we’ve been going about this the wrong way. For someone who moves with the times, you CIA types certainly procrastinate a lot.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Whoever she is, she’s going through the room and she’s taking pains not to be seen,” Bond replied, showing Leiter the pictures. A slightly buxom woman with yellow-blonde hair was in the process of methodically shaking the room down.

“She’s not one of ours.”

“Do you regularly assign two agents to the one case without telling each other?”

“More often than you might think, but she’s definitely not one of ours. A shame she didn’t show her face, though. If I’d known the comings and going of right-wing French politicians would be so popular, I’d have set the room up for sound,” Leiter mused.

“Don’t bother. Jeanmaise and his people will know somebody has been there while he was out. They’ll move and they’ll get cautious; more cautious than they already are, which is going to be a headache for us. Leave them to their paranoia; the girl is a better lead. Besides, I’ve had my fill of this room and playing at being a peeping tom. I’ve suddenly come over with a terribly compelling need to see the city. Who knows; maybe I’ll run into Jeanmaise’s uninvited guest along the way.”

“Do you have somewhere in mind to begin? Orders are pretty clear: we’re to stay here and document everything.”

“You can stay here if you want, but I was thinking of starting with the front of the hotel, but now that you mention it, maybe we should see some of the sights of the city while we’re at it. I’ve always wanted to see the Coliseum and the Arch of Constantine. Maybe even St. Peter’s Basilica and the Russian Embassy if we make a day of it.”

“The Russian Embassy?” Leiter asked, before cottoning on a moment later. “Right, because the Russians have even more reason to be looking in that room than we do.”

“Shall we?” Bond offered, gesturing towards the balcony door.

“We shall.”