I think i know who could play bond next

17 replies to this topic

#1 Bondfan007

Bondfan007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 04:25 PM

I was looking around in my house and ther is a picture of adrian paul, he played highlander on the tv show. i think he would make a good bond, hed have to cut his hair thouhg.

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 03:04 AM

I used to think this as well a few years ago. He's got the build, the dark looks, the stare and has been an action hero. All the qualities are certainly there.

Don't know if he will still be a serious candidate when Pierce leaves, though. He's either in his late, late 30s now or 40. Pierce had the Bond reputation already going for him despite being in his 40s when he got the role. Adrian Paul won't have that working for him, though. The concencus around here seems to favor somebody in his early or mid 30s.

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 03:19 AM

I think Adrian Paul would make a good choice too, and I've felt that for a while.

The problem is...Adrian Paul is already linked to one huge franchise and people like that don't usually like being linked to another.

-- Xenobia

#4 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 03:37 AM

Yeah he's associated with another franchise, but one full of really bad B movies except for the first which he wasn't in, so he'd love to be Bond. He auditioned for it the last time when PB got the role and still talks about getting it. But he's already 42, born in 1959, he'd be minimum 48 for his first film then. Moreover, he can't act, he constantly sounds like his mouth is full of marbles as he mumbles in monotone. It's not going to happen, thankfully.

MBE

#5 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
Moreover, he can't act, he constantly sounds like his mouth is full of marbles as he mumbles in monotone.

Too much like the current guy then?

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 01:05 PM

I remember this guy's name being mentioned in connection with playing Bond years and years ago, at least a decade ago, maybe more. I don't want him to play 007 myself, but I'm sure he was (is?) under serious consideration at one point.

#7 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 08:08 PM

Roebuck, tsk tsk, that bait was left for Jim, no fair jumping his claim. :) So can I take that as no to Mr. Paul?

Loomis, yes he was in the entire 1994 bin of contenders along with Hugh Grant, Ralph Fiennes, and any other male between 25-45 with a British accent or anything approximating one.

#8 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 08:39 PM

Roebuck, tsk tsk, that bait was left for Jim, no fair jumping his claim. :)  So can I take that as no to Mr. Paul?

Actually, killkenny kid suggested Adrian Paul only last week and at the time I said the biggest thing against him was age. A good actor does not necessarily make a great Bond, and vice versa. I think we've seen enough proof of that during the last forty years.

PS. Yes, I should have left that one for Jim. He would have replied with something much wittier.

#9 BondChick4ever8

BondChick4ever8

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 09:05 PM

Isn't Hugh Jackman gonna be the next bond? Or have they not decided yet?

#10 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 09:26 PM

No, a new Bond hasn't been chosen and won't until the current Bond no longer has the job which might be after 1 or 2 more films.

Roebuck, I don't think we have seen that though. Yes it's just my opinion, but I think two very good actors, Connery & Brosnan made two excellent Bonds. I think a good actor made a good Bond, Moore, and I think a non-actor made a piss poor Bond, Lazenby. Only Dalton a very good actor didn't live up to his talent as regards Bond IMO (and others think he was the best) and that's b/c he had a certain view about the role and how it should be played that didn't appeal to me (or much of the general audience). But as a performance his Bond is still more interesting and entertaining for me to watch than say Lazenby's.

I think Bond is a role that does require acting skill, more than it seems on the surface, but even the requisite amount of skill doesn't mean one's approach or persona fit the role. Some actors as great as they are can also be mis-cast, can you imagine Marlon Brando playing Lawrence Of Arabia instead of Peter O'Toole? And he was the first choice!

#11 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 12:46 AM

I think Bond is a role that does require acting skill, more than it seems on the surface, but even the requisite amount of skill doesn't mean one's approach or persona fit the role.  Some actors as great as they are can also be mis-cast, can you imagine Marlon Brando playing Lawrence Of Arabia instead of Peter O'Toole?  And he was the first choice!

And I understand that James Caan was originally the first choice to play the title role in "Superman: the Movie" and Mickey Rourke was to originally play Maverick in "Top Gun." Lest we forget Sylvester Stallone as Axel Foley for "Beverly Hills Cop."

BTW, don't forget that Roger Moore had emerged from two successful TV series to play Bond.

What many of y'all are gonna have to understand is that the next actor to play Bond'll won't please everyone. There'll be those in the Clive Owen camp, the Dougray Scott alliance, the Adrian Paul cabal and the "let Pierce do it until we fall into AVTAK" organization. No one'll ever be satisfied.

I find that an actor who's in their late 30's early 40's is the right age for Bond- simply because they aren't "pretty" anymore. Dalton was right @ 41 when he did TLD as opposed to 22-23 when he was approached to do OHMSS. Pierce was right @ 41 when he did GE. Folks may have been clamoring for him to assume the mantle back in '87 but the years following did wonders for him.

Y'all may be looking too far down the line as far as Pierce's successor's concerned. Think about what that actor'll bring to the role of Bond his FIRST time out. Great writing and direction'll insure a "down the line" once that first hurdle is cleared.

#12 Bondfan007

Bondfan007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 03:43 PM

I still believe Jackman should play Bond next, I think thats what a lot of people want to see. I know thats what I want to happen.

#13 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 03:52 PM

Are the rumours about Gerard Butler still abound?

#14 His Majesty

His Majesty

Discharged

• Discharged
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 03:03 AM

MBE_ how have you been?

I think you should know who I am.

I trust this time you will be more civilized.

#15 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 01:35 PM

This all sounds terribly thrilling

#16 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 01:42 PM

not to mention your ability for dry humour, or down right sarcasm

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 05:21 PM

Yawn.... Is that the time?

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 01:06 AM

I cannot believe you haven't all mentioned Steven, the kid on the Dude, you're Getting A Dell commercials. He's a natural, the ladies love him, and he's got a way with one liners. Get that man a job!