2 replies to this topic

#1 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

Okay, I'm throwing a question out there for the Bond Brain Trust. If you guys can't help me, probably no one can.

When I was a lad, somewhere around 1978 or '79, a friend brought an old magazine to school. Somewhere in this magazine was an adaptation of "Live And Let Die" featuring spot illustrations of Sean Connery, not Roger Moore, in action. I didn't have time to read the accompanying text, but my instinct tells me it was excerpts from the Fleming novel and NOT the LALD film script. In fact, I'm guessing the magazine was created shortly after the release of DAF, when we knew that "James Bond Will Return in Live and Let Die," but we did not yet know whose face he would have.

It's been a loooong time, but I think one of the images may have shown Connery smashing through a door. Does anyone here have any idea what this magazine was? Maybe an old Warren magazine like "Creepy"? Or "Famous Monsters?" I know it was black-and-white on pulp paper, not a color "slick." If anyone has ideas, I'd love to track down a copy of this thing and put this nagging question to rest.

#2 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

That sounds cool. I've never seen it. The Warren Bond stuff I do have is a Moonraker special magazine, and TMWGG in Deadly Hands of Kung Fu.

Posted Image

#3 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

"Deadly Hands of Kung Fu" was actually a Marvel book, via their "Curtis Magazines" imprint.

The only Warren I have with 007 is the "Moonraker" movie special. Which thrilled me to no end in 1979, BTW.