4 replies to this topic

#1 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 06:45 AM

While watching the making of DAF its mentions an early script draft from Richard Maibuam had Auric Goldfinger twin brother being the villain. Although most fans have heard of this before, I wonder if anyone has considered what the plot was about and how they tied up the ending of OHMSS with Tracy

#2 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 06:58 AM

From 007forever.com

Diamonds Are Forever

The story that brought Diamonds to the screen is clouded in numerous re-writes and a number of different plots.  

The first draft, was originally going to start off very differently, and was to do something that seems a bit odd. The pre-title sequence was to be the wedding and death of Bond`s bride, (taken from OHMSS) and was to lead into a different story altogether, after that.

The original drafts also featured a new villian, the twin brother of Auric Goldfinger (who was to be played again by Gert Frobe), and the plot was revenge for his twin. Broccoli and Saltzman liked the idea at first, but later rejected it as being "too far off of the original premise of Fleming`s novels." Also, his revenge was to done by killing Bond`s bride, (tying up loose ends, and such.) Dick Maibaum even had a fantastic line written for Bond`s first encounter with Goldfinger`s twin: "I think you knew my brother Auric. Mother always said he was a bit retarded." The line got dropped when the whole storyline got jettisoned.

There plently of stuff about the DAF script from tha page too, like extra lines by Bond and Tiffany, and an alternative ending for Wint and Kidd....

http://007forever.co...are_forever.htm

#3 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 07:30 AM

Freemo, with reference to the first draft concerning Tracy's death this would have been impossible considering OHMSS had already been released. This would only make sense if EON had Maibaum working on DAF script while OHMSS was in production.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 01:56 PM

Here's a bit of trivia on DAF's most famous line:
Plenty: "Hi, I'm Plenty."
Bond: "But of course you are."
Plenty: "Plenty O'Toole"
Bond: "Named after your father perhaps."

The line in the script that I have goes
Plenty: "Hi, I'm Plenty O'Toole.
Bond: "I'd be foolish to deny it."

I can't remember offhand, but I don't think the other line was left in.

#5 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 02:04 AM

Apparently while OHMSS was in the works, Harry Saltzman flirted with making Moonraker the next film. He comissioned a script that would involve a supertanker with a hull that opens up; triplet villains named Tic, Tac, and Toe; and scenes set on the moon. The script was shelved, but it's speculated that the sets for the "practice" moonlanding in Whyte's lab were originally built for the aborted Moonraker (it's never really explained what people are doing there); and the author of the original script threatened to sue during the production of The Spy Who Loved Me when he learned that the villain is using a supertanker with a hidden base inside of it. The writer, of course, was bought off.