37 replies to this topic

#31 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

I totally owe you a major thanks for that MkB! B)
I can't thank you enough!!!

#32 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:12 AM

Just send us a check for doing your homework.

#33 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:30 AM

Just send us a check for doing your homework.

LOL! :tdown:
Now it's time for an update!!! It's very late, but I've just finished the first draft of my essay. I'm meeting with my English professor tomorrow (or would that be today? B)) and we'll discuss the direction my essay is going in.
I just want to take a moment to thank every board member who replied to my (seemingly annoying) questions. I really appreciate everyone's help!
As I said, it's very late, but I will definitely keep all of you informed as to how my essay goes tomorrow (I mean today :tdown:) and my final grade.

So thanks again everyone! I don't know how to thank all of you for your great help! :)

Edited by danielcraigisjamesbond007, 27 March 2009 - 04:47 PM.

#34 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

Bond came to the conclusion that Tilly Masterton was one of those girls whose hormones had got mixed up. He knew the type well and thought they and their male counterparts were a direct consequence of giving votes to women and 'sex equality'. As a result of fifty years of emancipation, feminine qualities were dying out or being transferred to the males. Pansies of both sexes were everywhere, not yet completely homosexual, but confused, not knowing what they were. The result was a herd of unhappy sexual misfits - barren and full of frustrations, the women wanting to dominate and the men to be nannied. He was sorry for them, but he had no time for them.

Incidentally, this passage is often interpreted as Fleming blaming homosexuality on women's lib. But it's clear that Fleming is making a difference between "unhappy sexual misfits" and those who are "completely" homosexual. By this inference complete homosexuals would have existed regardless of "giving votes to women and 'sex equality'". The passage will still prove offensive to modern readers, but for different reasons. Fleming was right in saying that sex equality would bring out more cases of sexual confusion and shake up gender roles. But he seems to have been ignorant or in denial of the findings of the Kinsey report, published in the same decade, which made the (still-accepted) case that homo and heterosexuality, rather than being binaries, exist on a continuum. That would explain bisexuality far better than saying that men were receiving feminine qualities from women's lib and therefore deciding to sleep with men, or vice versa. What really happened is that the climate created by women's lib allowed people to shake off Victorian morality (which Fleming was otherwise opposed to) and engage in acts reflecting their sexual desires and feel less repressed while doing so. Fleming in this case is mistaking social permissiveness for creating new "sexual misfits", rather than acknowledging that such mifits had existed, but in earlier times had to confine themselves to Victorian gender roles. Lest I start heading off in Judith Butler's direction I'll stop here for now.

#35 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:55 AM

Hello again, everyone! B)
It's time for a quick update!
I just got my first draft back today and...(drumroll please) I got a B+!!! :tdown:
I can't thank everyone who replied to this thread enough for all of your help. I will, of course, keep everyone informed about how the rest of the essay goes. But thanks again to everyone for their time and help!!! It is deeply appreciated!!! :tdown:

#36 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:09 AM

Deleted

Edited by danielcraigisjamesbond007, 31 March 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#37 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:24 PM

Hello, again!
Thought I'd just check in and let everyone know how my paper was going! B)
I met with my English professor on Wednesday. She made a few comments, and gave me a grade: It's an "A!" :tdown:

#38 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Hi everyone!
Before I forget, I titled my paper, "Quantum of Gay-Less" (Go ahead. Laugh away. B))I just found out my final grade for the paper. It's an A minus! Not bad! :tdown: So, I want to thank everyone who helped me. I can not thank you all enough!