Fifth Young Bond novel to arrive in May

#2 Krilencu

Krilencu

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

How many people will actually wait for that instead of ordering British hardback NOW, or paperback in May, as I am planning to do?

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

How many people will actually wait for that instead of ordering British hardback NOW, or paperback in May, as I am planning to do?

I expect very young kids who choose their books in-store rather than the net. And Righty007, of course, who only buys American. :(

#4 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

How many people will actually wait for that instead of ordering British hardback NOW

There's a format difference with UK and US books, meaning that UK books are unreadable in the States. Sad but true.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

How many people will actually wait for that instead of ordering British hardback NOW

There's a format difference with UK and US books, meaning that UK books are unreadable in the States. Sad but true.

Good thing I have a set of region free eyeballs.

#6 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:48 AM

I am sooooo looking forward to this book! It's probably because I'm only fourteen, but the Young Bond books are, in my opinion, awesome. I do read the Fleming books, but some of them are a little hard for me to understand at times. These YB books keep the Fleming-esque style of writing, combined with a younger Bond that I can relate to. It's a little hard for me to relate to a smoking, martini-drinking, womanizing man. But in these books, I can envision myself with James, and I think that's important.

Also, I hear that in By Royal Command, there will be a little more romance than in previous books, which is pretty exciting. But for now, I have Hurricane Gold to look forward to, so that will keep me occupied (:

If anyone hasn't read these, even if you are an adult, you should pick one up for a light read. They're really amusing, and once you start reading them, you can't (or at least I can't!) seem to stop. Don't be fooled by the 'Young' Bond title; these books are as Bond as it gets.

#7 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

I expect very young kids who choose their books in-store rather than the net. And Righty007, of course, who only buys American. B)

Finally, I can read By Royal Command. :tdown:

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

Really first rate review of BRC at Double O Section.

http://doubleosectio...by-charlie.html

#9 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:02 AM

I have about 30 pages left and all I can say is that this book is positively stunning. Relentless pacing and emotionally gripping, BRC is by far the best Young Bond novel and without a doubt my favorite book of all time. Outstanding work, Mr. Higson, creating such imaginative adventures takes an immeasurable about of talent, I deeply look forward to whatever further adventures you have to offer us. Great job. B)

Final 4 lines are mind numbingly brilliant and chilling. Bravo.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

Glad you read and enjoyed, Matt_13. It really is a superb book. I like to contend that this book could have been released all by itself as an adult continuation novel. The story of a young James Bond. Yes, there are elements from past books you need to know, but I still feel like this book stands on its own and can stand by itself.

You might want to now read the 2008 interview I did with Charlie focusing largely on BRC. It's spoiler filled, but there's a lot of nice information and insight. I've created a U.S. friendly version and just posted it up on the site.

CHARLIE IN COMMAND

#11 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Never thought of BRC as a possible adult book. I agree though, it very well could be. Bloody brilliant. Glad to see youngbonddossier.com is still with us by the way. I have the Silverbeast article on my favorites bar. As Charlie Higson said in the interview, it's a great resource.

#12 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

Glad you read and enjoyed, Matt_13. It really is a superb book. I like to contend that this book could have been released all by itself as an adult continuation novel. The story of a young James Bond. Yes, there are elements from past books you need to know, but I still feel like this book stands on its own and can stand by itself.

You might want to now read the 2008 interview I did with Charlie focusing largely on BRC. It's spoiler filled, but there's a lot of nice information and insight. I've created a U.S. friendly version and just posted it up on the site.

CHARLIE IN COMMAND

That's great thanks Zen B)

I've began work on THE ENEMY, and that too is shaping up to be something special. A very talented writer.