5 replies to this topic

#1 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, but I wasn't sure how exactly Bond won the tournament at CR. I know nothing about cards or Texas-Hold'em. Could someone please explain how Bond beat Le Chiffre?

#2 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

He had a straight flush, meaning he had 5 consecutive numbers between his cards and the cards in the center of the table that were all the same suit (all spades, I believe, and the numbers 4,5,6,7,8). A straight flush is the best possible hand in poker so there was no way he was going to lose that hand.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

Don’t know how mush this’ll help someone who doesn’t understand poker, but this really breaks it down:

http://www.neatinfor.....mes Bond.html

#4 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

He had a straight flush, meaning he had 5 consecutive numbers between his cards and the cards in the center of the table that were all the same suit (all spades, I believe, and the numbers 4,5,6,7,8). A straight flush is the best possible hand in poker so there was no way he was going to lose that hand.

Translation: Divine Intervention.

#5 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

A straight flush is the best possible hand in poker so there was no way he was going to lose that hand.

I'm sure you've taken into account a higher straight flush if your talking about poker in general. If your talking about the actual scene than yes Bond had, as they say, "the nuts".

#6 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:58 AM

A straight flush is the best possible hand in poker so there was no way he was going to lose that hand.

I'm sure you've taken into account a higher straight flush if your talking about poker in general. If your talking about the actual scene than yes Bond had, as they say, "the nuts".

As in a Royal Flush, which would be: 10,J,Q,K,A.