zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
Bond Revered: 'Quantum of Solace' hits cinemas, Ian Fleming's Centenary, a 'State of Excitement' exclusive and much more

Just got KISS KISS BANG BANG #6 yesterday. Long in coming, but it is a terrific issue, probably the best yet. Very good coverage of QOS, DMC, and all Centenary events with loads of pics. But a stand out is Brad Frank's chapter by chapter look at Ian Fleming's unpublished book, State of Excitement: Impressions of Kuwait. This is pretty significant for the Fleming scholar.

#2 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

As they say in Chicago politics, "I've got mine!"

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:02 AM

State of Excitement special?

:(

Can't wait for this one.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

KKBB is always fantastic, and well worthy of support by the Bond fan community. Looking forward to giving the new issue a gander.

#5 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

Just got KISS KISS BANG BANG #6 yesterday. Long in coming, but it is a terrific issue, probably the best yet. Very good coverage of QOS, DMC, and all Centenary events with loads of pics. But a stand out is Brad Frank's chapter by chapter look at Ian Fleming's unpublished book, State of Excitement: Impressions of Kuwait. This is pretty significant for the Fleming scholar.

(Full disclosure - I have written for this magazine.)

I agree! Some fantastically good writing in here, and the pictures seemed to really have room to breathe. The best issue yet, I thought. And... finally! A detailed look at State of Excitement, with a breakdown of what the book actually contains. A gorgeous magazine, this, studded, nay, stuffed, with superb journalism on our favourite subject. :(

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

Posted Image
Bond Revered: 'Quantum of Solace' hits cinemas, Ian Fleming's Centenary, a 'State of Excitement' exclusive and much more

Got my copy in the mail just a few days ago: fantastic as usual.

The highlights for me would probably be the interview with (stunning!) Eva Green and naturally the State of Excitement exclusive (which makes me want to start driving off to Lilly Library right now). It's a bit odd that the Kuwait Oil Company didn't just edit some of the more "offending" Fleming bits out as opposed to banning the entire book, but who knows...

Magnificent issue.

#7 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:37 AM

Got mine a few days ago too. Great issue. I don't remember seeing the Quantum of Solace photo of Craig on the bus with the safety harness attached to him before (page 29). :(

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:26 AM

Posted Image

Although, for the avoidance of doubt and if anyone's concerned given the issues some have with that organisation, we are not affiliated with it.

#9 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

Posted Image

Although, for the avoidance of doubt and if anyone's concerned given the issues some have with that organisation, we are not affiliated with it.

Well, Jim, certainly CBN has never had the production problems KKBB has had: one rocks up every morning and there is CBN, as sure as day turns to night.

But then, KKBB has always been a quality product with top draw writing. It has not published the kind of bilge, nor spewed the kind of childish bile, that from time to time is allowed to appear on CBN.

So I guess not everyone's perfect.

And I'd like to point out I've never have never written for KKBB. Nor am affiliated with it in any way.

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

But then, KKBB has always been a quality product with top draw writing. It has not published the kind of bilge, nor spewed the kind of childish bile, that from time to time is allowed to appear on CBN.

True; it works both ways. Their fora are worth a browse, for amusement, too.

#11 Greene Planet

Greene Planet

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

Interesting find, zencat.

#12 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:44 AM

Great issue and, as usual, up to the usual high standards of great writing and presentation.

Top marks!

#13 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

An excellent edition of a superb publication, as ever.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

Just got KISS KISS BANG BANG #6 yesterday. Long in coming, but it is a terrific issue, probably the best yet.

Yes. Looking again through #6, I think this mag is really hitting its stride.

Very good coverage of QOS, DMC, and all Centenary events with loads of pics.

What I like about KKBB is that it doesn't just focus on Craig's newie. It's a mag for those of us who know that there's an awful lot more to Bond than just the films. If you've a serious interest in the literary Bond (and not just Fleming, either), this is definitely a magazine to seek out - for instance, this latest issue has a report on a recent Raymond Benson signing in London.

Which brings me to another thing that's cool about KKBB: it's not the product of people who just get all their Bond info from the net and recycle it for the sake of having a mag. The KKBB mob get out and about, attending and reporting on events and coming back with copy and pics that you simply won't find anywhere else, for instance a photo of a London Evening Standard poster on the streets of the capital during the launch of DEVIL MAY CARE that proclaims "JAMES BOND NOVEL: FIRST REVIEW" as though it's the leading news item of the day (!) (but, yeah, DMC really did take over the UK for a few sweet days last year), and getting an interview with Eva Green. This ain't just a bunch of fanboys serving up same old same old - this is the real deal. I mean, where else would you get something like:

When I first started at the Sunday Times as a graduate trainee in '51, about November I was put in the chairman's office as his PA. One of my heavy responsibilities was keeping the keys to the chairman's loo which was right opposite. On my first day that I was there, this rather fine Greco-Roman head came round the door. He was very charming and said, 'I say old chap, could I possibly borrow the keys to the chairman's loo?' Because he didn't like having to pee downstairs with all the hoi-polloi.

That's Godfrey Smith, a former colleague of Fleming, interviewed as one of the key figures behind the For Your Eyes Only: Ian Fleming and James Bond exhibition at the Imperial War Museum. See, KKBB will even fill you in on how Fleming liked to have a pee! :tdown:

Seriously, though, this is a terrific issue, documenting all the major happenings in the tremendously rich year for Bond that was 2008 (e.g. covering HURRICANE GOLD and the DMC launch and taking an extraordinarily informative look at the making of QUANTUM OF SOLACE). #6 is a great souvenir of last year's Bondage (fnarr). It's also a beautiful magazine to look at, with top notch design and some wonderful photos. You wouldn't necessarily think that a "fan magazine" would be laid out so well or so pleasing to the eye, but this one really delivers in visuals just as much as it does on text.

Really great stuff. B)