This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Timothy Dalton to play villain in Brosnan's 5th?

26 replies to this topic

#1 5 BONDS

5 BONDS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 03:30 PM

As I feel Dalton was a good Bond and somewhat neglected I have always thought it will be good idea if he played a villain in Brosnan's 5th film. I have always looked forward to a link within the Bond actors.

#2 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 07:28 PM

From your mouth to God's ears. (or is that Mikey G's ears?) Either way, I would pay serious money to see Brosnan and Dalton face off, and I suspect so would a lot of other people.

Maybe we should start an online petition....

-- Xenobia

#3 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 10:00 PM

Well I know many of the "he stole our spot" Brozzy fans would love it, and many of the "they wanted him over me" Dalton fans would also enjoy it. This would be fun. Its like asking for Connery and Moore to go head to head.

#4 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 11:09 PM

Though I think that it would be an interesting movie, I don't think that it would be a good idea because Timothy Dalton has already been recognised as James Bond, and putting him in as a villain would confuse regular fans (not us). I would more like to see this happen in an unofficial Bond film rather than an official one.

#5 BondChick007

BondChick007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 01:38 AM

I agree with that. It would be kinda cool in a celebrity death match, but not in an actual movie. We already got a ton of stuff from the older movies in DAD (i can't wait!) So my vote's no.

#6 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 11:44 AM

I'd like to see Timothy Daltan in more movies, he's a greatly under-rated actor and its a shame his time as Bond was so short.

If he were to play a Bond villain opposite Brosnan, I'd like to see him under makeup to make him less "Bond-like" in appearance (give him a nice facial scar or something). Other than that, there's no reason he couldn't play a memorable villain.

I wonder if Eon/MGM are open to suggestions ... :)

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 11:52 AM

Why not; it'd be fun.

You could always disguise him under "ugly" make-up

You could also do the same for Mr Dalton.

#8 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 01:16 PM

It'd be cool. Eon wouldn't do it. But it'd bring in a **** load of money! What a selling pitch! Bond vs Bond. He could play a heavily made up villian, it'd be wicked. I'm for it.

#9 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 01:18 PM

I think this kind of nod winking makes fun of your audience, im against it.

#10 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 01:32 PM

im for it, although id prefer lazenby to return as a villian instead.

#11 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 08:07 PM

Maybe we could start an online petition to get Dalton to play the villian. It was public support that got Danny DeVito the role of the Penguin in the second Batman movie, and Jim Carrey the role as the Riddler, so let's see what we can do with TD and PB hooking up in Bond 21.

-- Xenobia

#12 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 02:17 PM

yeah, but MGM would probably say that they would not be "protecting" us by letting us influence decsions.

#13 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 08:54 PM

Then again, there could be MGM spies on this site watching this and reporting back to their bosses:eek:. It would be great to see Dalton as a villians, and I would go see it cr*p loads of times just to see Brozzy beat the hell outta Dalton!:)

#14 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:55 PM

Here's a thought....in DAD Bond has to fight his inner demons, fight himself to surivive. How about in Bond 21 the chief baddie from DAD comes back and hits Bond with a real whooper: he got to fight his older half brother, a product of Andrew's relations with a woman not his mother.

In fighting his half brother, Bond is fighting someone who by nature and genetics is very much like him, so a lot of the devices that Bond could use to protect himself, he can not use this time because his half brother does the same thing.

How's that for a twist?

-- Xenobia

#15 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 03:18 AM

I like your idea, Xenobia. It would give Purvis and Wade the chance to keep adding dimensions to Bond's character and it wouldn't be like Bond fighting some super villain who we all want destroyed. How do you destroy your own flesh and blood and it would be hard to root against Dalton. Plus, those of us who know the backstory of Dalton and Brosnan and the whole '86 affair would enjoy it even more.

On the other hand, it would be very similar to Bond's relationship with Trevelyan in GE. In this respect, it makes it a shame that the original idea to make Trevelyan an older father figure type of character didn't pad out. Still like the idea, though.

#16 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 03:44 AM

I don't like the entire concept of long lost unknown or previously thought dead Bond relatives coming home to roost; it crosses the line into soap opera for me. What's next Blofield shows up and says .... Bond ... I am your father? :)

As for a Dalton return as a villain in general I'd say no, it's too much of a wink, too much breaking down the 4th wall. It's the same problem I'd have with Connery returning as M or Moore getting his recent proferred wish to be a "camp" Bond villain (shudder)

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 12:57 AM

MBE, you are right. Dammit, I'd far rather have Roger Moore coming back as James Bond, than playing a villain (same goes for Dalton and any other actor who's played Bond).

With all the great (and indeed all the merely good, and all the merely so-so) actors on this planet, I don't want to see a previous 007 actor brought back to the series to play a bad guy (or any other role but that of Bond), simply as some sort of giant in-joke.

We just don't need it.

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 04:07 PM

I think we should start a thread calling for what if Barry Nelson were to play a villain in Brosnan's 5th?

#19 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 02:38 AM

If we're talking about good actors as potential villians, we need to get Jeremy Irons on the Bond 21 set! His performance in Die Hard With A Vengence was killer!

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 02:41 AM

Very true, walther. Irons' performance as Simon seems better every time I watch DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE, which I'm beginning to think is the best of the series, even better than the first film.

Now, if only they could get director John McTiernan and Irons for Bond 21....

#21 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 02:44 AM

Loomis:

You are not the only one who wants McTiernan...evidently so does Monseuir Brosnan.

-- Xenobia

#22 His Majesty

His Majesty

Discharged

• Discharged
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 03:00 AM

Why not let Roger Moore be the evil mastermind?

Personally, I think Roger would be able to pull it off as he could play a villian well and he doesn't really look much like he did when he was Bond, its been so long.

#23 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 07:50 AM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
I think this kind of nod winking makes fun of your audience, im against it.

Time to picket Die Another Day, then?

#24 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 09:07 AM

No chief, as concerning Tim D playing the villian. Not the in refrences to past films and novels, most of which will simply be in the background, not part of the dialogue :)

But Im against any actor who played Bond being in a film... Where their not playing Bond.

#25 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 04:02 PM

Dalton could play a Nazi like he did in The Rocketeer. He's really believeable in these kinds of villainous roles. He played a real Saddam-like dicktator in Beautician and the Beast. Maybe Pierce's Bond can go to assassinate him, or something.

Speak now or forever hold your piece.

#26 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 04:09 PM

I would love to see Dalton return to the Bond franchise ... as a villain? maybe not just yet, give him another 10-15 years or so, when he is around 50, the time most of the good villains have been, instead of having a villain of about 35 (006, Graves, Renard/Electra, Whitaker/Koskov, Sanchez) - more like Goldfinger, Largo those in their 50's or even older!

#27 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Tedley King
I would love to see Dalton return to the Bond franchise ... as a villain?  maybe not just yet, give him another 10-15 years or so, when he is around 50,

Um...he's in his mid to late fifties now...seventy if you leave it another 15 years