14 replies to this topic

#1 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:34 AM

In the Tosca Opera sequence, Dominic Greene is sitting with his chin on his hands, and you can clearly see a red string bracelet around his left wrist. This is a traditional symbol of Kabbalah; from the wiki page :

http://en.wikipedia....tring_(Kabbalah)

"Wearing a thin red string (as a type of talisman) is a custom, popularly thought to be associated with Judaism's Kabbalah, in order to ward off misfortune brought about by an "evil eye" (עין הרע in Hebrew). In Yiddish the red string is called a roite bindele.The red string itself is usually made from thin red wool thread. It is worn, or tied, as a type of bracelet or "band" on the left wrist of the wearer (the receiving side)."

What do you think? Any further significance to this? A tiny detail to add just another layer of character? Of course Greene could have joined Kabbalah to be trendy like Madonna...

#2 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:02 AM

I haven't seen the red string bracelet, but I'd suppose it may be a simple "Brazilian bracelet", without any religious significance. Introducing the kabbalah into the Quantum organization would be a little too much IMO, and besides a Brazilian bracelet would fit Greenes general style (not in Tosca of course, but the rest of the movie).

#3 Commander Shaun

Commander Shaun

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

I don't think this will have anything to do with the Quantum Organization either to be honest, I think it was just some random bracelet.

#4 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:02 PM

I spotted the red thread bracelet right away.

To me it is just another sign of Greene sleaziness, he'll buddy up to Kabbalah sorts ( like Madonna, Demi Moore.) for cash and connections just as he'd buddy up to rich environmentalists. It's got nothing to do with Quantum really. It's all about who he can squeeze financially.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a little touch Amalric brought to the character.

#5 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:33 AM

Nice find but I don't think it means anything. They don't like to get political with these films. Plus his character is dead, so I don't think they'd make such a vague reference to something like this if it was going to have anything to do with later films.

#6 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:21 AM

Yep, just a decorative item added without much thought or deeper significance, I think.

#7 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

Yep, just a decorative item added without much thought or deeper significance, I think.

Really? So are you suggesting that someone in the props department gave Amalric a random string bracelet that just happened to be red, which he just happened to put on his left wrist, and its all a staggering coincidence that this just happens to be the symbol of a major religion?

I'm with Moneypenny on this one, I think it represents the depths that Greene will go to, he'd pose as a Kabbalah, well, poser to schmooze with celebrities. Madonna is exactly the kind of liberal celeb he'd hit up for money for his "good cause", and she'd probably give it, as long as she got publicity for it :(

#8 Ravenstone

Ravenstone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

I wondered whether Almaric was a follower of the Kabbalah. I agree the red thread bracelet is quite noticeable. I did think, though, that perhaps it was more to do with showing Greene is one of those 'right on' and 'hip' 'with it' dudes :(

I asked the same question all over the internet after seeing QOS. I haven't got any answer yet. So I assume it's Greene's right on-ness, not something to do with Almaric.

#9 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:44 PM

It's clearly misdirection.

Greene is a deceitful liar. So, naturally, he's want to put up some front to deceive those he's trying to dupe.

#10 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:19 AM

In Argentina, many people says it's against envy.

#11 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:54 AM

Well since it wards off an "evil eye" maybe it was to tie in with the large eyeball used on the Tosca set. One more detail in a sequence that revolves around being watched.

#12 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:31 AM

Well since it wards off an "evil eye" maybe it was to tie in with the large eyeball used on the Tosca set. One more detail in a sequence that revolves around being watched.

I have since seen it again and noticed he has it on when we first see him in the Haiti scenes. Presumably then he is wearing it in every scene. (Elvis doesn't appear to be wearing one, for what its worth, but then again he's got his own fashion problems to deal with)

#13 Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Ultraussie (Jordan.adams)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:44 AM

Dear.....
We have a islamic evirometalist who drinks oil!

#14 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:51 AM

Dear.....
We have a islamic evirometalist who drinks oil!

Er...Islam has nothing to do with Kabbalah :(

#15 Ghostboy

Ghostboy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

while watching the dvd i noticed it too, googled it and came back here in trusty CBnet, where only true fanatics meet :-)
another unexplored possibility: maybe Amalric is into the Kaballah thing, and he refuses to take off his bracelet? there was a story like this about Ashton Kutcher a few years ago, and the tech department had to photoshop his wristband out of every shot, maybe the tech department on QOS thought it was a cool extra layer to Greene?
I don't know, we'll never know
keep on speculating!