7 replies to this topic

#1 Craig is 007

Craig is 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

During the car chase in Quantum Of Solace, there is a moment were Bond is driving towards two trailers with a small gap between them. Bond manages to drift his DBS through the gap just in time, causing one of the pursuers to crash into one of the trucks.

In the Spy Who Loved Me, there is a moment right at the beginning of the chase in Sardinia, were Bond is trapped behind a trailer with a torpedo from a motorcycle closing fast. Bond manages to swing between a gap between two trailers, causing the torpedo to hit one of the trailers and explode .

I am sure you people know what I am reffering to :(

Edited by Craig is 007, 17 December 2008 - 05:12 PM.

#2 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:23 PM

I also felt the car chase mixed in references to "For Your Eyes Only"; it's just that that car chase through the olive grove was played more for humor than this one through the quarry.

#3 Craig is 007

Craig is 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

I forgot to mention, it also reminded me about the car chase in Dr. No.

#4 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:33 PM

Yep, noticed the TSWLM and DN similarities, too. There's TSWLM material in several places throughout the film.

#5 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:40 AM

Also a reference to Commando, with the car going off the road and smashing on the road below and narrowly missing 007. Which was inspired by FYEO of course !

#6 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:08 PM

How many different ways can you do a car chase?

Thank goodness QOS differentiates itself in two ways:

1) James Bond is totally exposed to bullet-fire after his driver side door gets torn off. No other movie in history has this happen and has it's hero fully exposed this way.

2) The police / "good guys" get blown away by the "bad guys".

The above two instances does NOT happen in any other Bond or other movie that I know of.

When people say it 'reminds me of so-and-so', well, to me that's just plain lazy and they undermine their own credability.

#7 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

When people say it 'reminds me of so-and-so', well, to me that's just plain lazy and they undermine their own credability.

Having a scene remind someone of a similar scene undermines ones credibility? Sometime I really think you are a little over zealous in your "defence" of QoS. I use quotations because no one has even had a bad word to say about it in this thread. Just an observation.

#8 joshkhenderson

joshkhenderson

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

I think the most interesting thing of this chase, to me at least, was the use of traffic. All these other chases have very few instances of traffic, whereas the tunnel and road ahead were jam packed with civilian cars. In TSWLM and DN, the roads were clear (aside from those two trucks), the garage was clear in TND, and DAD's chase was on an empty frozen lake.