20 replies to this topic

#1 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:29 AM

Bond successfully manages to disable a Quantum member, there's no indication that he's dead that I can see, and steal his headpiece. Given that he's a board member, presumably this is a HUGE find for MI6.

Why did it never get referenced again?

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:41 AM

I assume that Bond killed the guy. He's used to doing that sort of thing in a public toilet.

#3 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:48 AM

I doubt if he killed him, as I didn't see any blood. However, Bond deliberately broke the handle off the bathroom door after locking it with the Quantum board member still inside. It would have been difficult for the board member to escape quickly from that bathroom once the Tosca show started.

#4 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:53 AM

Yeah, I think Bond just gave him a bone crunching battering that could leave him in a coma for a week. The breaking of the door handle was just making extra sure.

#5 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:17 AM

Yeah, I think Bond just gave him a bone crunching battering that could leave him in a coma for a week. The breaking of the door handle was just making extra sure.

Given the fact that Bond knocked him out cold, I'd say the removing of the door handle had less to do with him regaining consciousness, and more to do with preventing anyone from finding the man there before time and souning an alarm. After all, Bond broke the handle on the outside, so I'd say he was reasonably confident the man he KO'd would stay that way for some time because if the hand was anything like the one on my bathroom door, you can still use it if the other side if broken.

#6 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:39 AM

preventing anyone from finding the man there before time and souning an alarm.

That too.

#7 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

I suppose we are to assume that either he got away, Bond told MI6 to pick him up later, or Quantum eventually retrieved him somehow. It just seems interesting given he's presumably a captured member of Quantum's board and an actual bigger find than Yusef at the end.

It would have made more sense to have Bond kill him and then wince about screwing up again.

#8 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

Seemed to me that he knocked the guy out, took his earpiece, kept the door from being able to be opened for a good while, and we're left to assume that by the time he wakes up and tells Quantum he was ambushed by a guy who fits Bond's description, they'd already know who that was. Further, Quantum probably wouldn't look too favorably upon his allowing his earpiece to be robbed and thus the meeting and eventual Bolivia operation to be compromised.

Bond wasn't yet feeling the need to stop and bring that guy in. He wanted to find out what the meeting was about instead.

That's how I gather it, anyway.

#9 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

Interesting. I just assumed that he'd killed the guy.

Edited by byline, 14 December 2008 - 06:25 PM.

#10 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:16 AM

Seemed to me that he knocked the guy out, took his earpiece, kept the door from being able to be opened for a good while, and we're left to assume that by the time he wakes up and tells Quantum he was ambushed by a guy who fits Bond's description, they'd already know who that was. Further, Quantum probably wouldn't look too favorably upon his allowing his earpiece to be robbed and thus the meeting and eventual Bolivia operation to be compromised.

Bond wasn't yet feeling the need to stop and bring that guy in. He wanted to find out what the meeting was about instead.

That's what I think/thought.

#11 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

Bond breaking the door handle off has always annoyed me slightly. He wouldn't have the strength to be able to do that. Still, it did look effortlessly cool and very 'Bondian'.

#12 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:59 PM

That sounds right to me, 00Twelve. :(

#13 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:03 AM

Tosca sequence was the best part of the film, the way Forster shot Bond following him into the toilet was great, the quick hsot, was so great it caught up on the paranoia of FRWL.

#14 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

Bond locked the guy up, though at first I found it difficult to gauge how he could've known this guy was part of Quantum.
I guess it was receiving the special bag at the registration desk that blew the guy's cover.

#15 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:07 PM

Bond breaking the door handle off has always annoyed me slightly. He wouldn't have the strength to be able to do that. Still, it did look effortlessly cool and very 'Bondian'.

Wouldn't have the strength to do that? Really? Doesn't seem like that hard of a feat, if you ask me, especially if someone is in good shape.

#16 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:47 AM

Bond locked the guy up, though at first I found it difficult to gauge how he could've known this guy was part of Quantum.
I guess it was receiving the special bag at the registration desk that blew the guy's cover.

Correct.

#17 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:40 AM

Correct.

Yes, Bond sees the Quantum man approach the gift bag desk, and he gives his name to the girl, who checks a list, and then reaches under the table and give him a hidden bag. And since Bond was watching all this, you wonder why he didn't just grab the list from the girl, then he'd have the names of every Quantum member there (including Mr.White!)

#18 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Yes, Bond sees the Quantum man approach the gift bag desk, and he gives his name to the girl, who checks a list, and then reaches under the table and give him a hidden bag. And since Bond was watching all this....

I thought he was looking at her arrse on first viewing. :(

#19 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

Correct.

Yes, Bond sees the Quantum man approach the gift bag desk, and he gives his name to the girl, who checks a list, and then reaches under the table and give him a hidden bag. And since Bond was watching all this, you wonder why he didn't just grab the list from the girl, then he'd have the names of every Quantum member there (including Mr.White!)

Good point! He could have wrapped up all of the Quantum members' identities in one fell swoop. Very poor investigative work by Bond. Now we'll have to have more films about Quantum. :(

#20 NotAnAcronym

NotAnAcronym

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

It's highly unlikely any Quantum member used their real name for such a list. As Mr. White said, they were always wondering if MI6 watched them and wouldn't have allowed for such a security threat as a list of their real names.

#21 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:06 AM

What if each Quantum member told the girl a special code word that was unique to them and them only. She checks the list to see if it's one of the code words and then she gives them the bag.

No names and everyone remains anonymous.