553 replies to this topic

#481 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

I doubt that I have time to write a short story specifically for this thread for Christmas again this year, but coco1997 and I should have a screenplay ready around Christmas (probably somewhere between Christmas Day and New Years Day) as part of our series of screenplays that serve as a reimagining of some of the Bond films and novels.

#482 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

... his first crush - not the hoped love of his life...

Kind of you to mention me.

#483 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

You know I'm a sentimental fool at heart.

Can't wait for my box of scorpions for Christmas.

#484 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

Pondering where to go in Alec's latest adventure - what sort of story would you guys like to see?

#485 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Cheers Terminus.

I'm sure 0011 has something he's been up to. The wicked never sleep so neither do Double-O's.

I have no doubt you'll cook up something grand.

#486 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Gosh! Christmans already. Where has the year gone?

I just checked the Fan Fiction section.
Only 9 entries started in 2011.
Hope this year's Bond Xmas tales will swell that number.

I may well do what Harry did last year with Charm the Devil, and release the first chapters
of DECREE ABSOLUTE for Christmas.
The opening chapter (or pre title sequence - if it ever gets turned intot a film LOL) is a stand alone piece of work, which follows 007 on his clandestine mission (started at the end of A SECRET TO THE GRAVE)
I might just add a little bit of sherry and mince pie drama to get the mood right.

#487 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:42 AM

I've got a smidgeon of an idea now, we will see where the plot idea will take me.

#488 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

I've got a smidgeon of an idea now, we will see where the plot idea will take me.

Looking forward to it. :)

#489 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

Need a bit of help here guys.

I'm developing a character, and I've got a clear picture of someone in my head when I write about him.
However he's not how I intended him to be. In fact I have never seen this person giving the expressions that I am writing about.
I have had to re-write intros and bios to make the new profile fit.
Has anyone else come across the same problem? When the character seems to take on a persona of his own?
Should I allow the character to grow? or ignor the vision and use another stereotypical mould for my killer?

#490 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

Has anyone else come across the same problem? When the character seems to take on a persona of his own?

Well, it can be a problem initially if it messes up your planned plot. But honestly, I think that's one of the best moments while writing, when characters start talking to you, dictating where they want their story to go. I say: go with it. :D

#491 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

What she said.

The mind's eye doesn't always have 20/20 vision, but it can see the trees past the forest.

#492 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

I'm developing a character, and I've got a clear picture of someone in my head when I write about him.
However he's not how I intended him to be. In fact I have never seen this person giving the expressions that I am writing about.
Should I allow the character to grow? or ignor the vision and use another stereotypical mould for my killer?

This depends how important your character is to the overall arc of the story. If their behaviour effects the way the story and that character develops then it is vital that you understand how to envisage that person.
If they have a major influence over the eventual outcome then unsubtle changes in their personality will be noted by a reader. This does not however mean they need to be bland. I'm interested to read that you have felt the need to rewrite sections and create a new background for your character. This basically means your "old" character has already bitten the dust. If the "new" character fulfills the same role as the "old" only with persona adjustments, I'd say you should stick with the "new" as it is clearly the direction your mind is stretched.
However, if the the "new" must retain elements of the "old" you may well be crossing the two personas. That means it is time to sit back and re-think how you approach this particular person.
Remember as well, Paul, that the audience doesn't need to know everything about a character. A good author should only tell a portion of facts and actions, (say 25%) which will allow readers to inform themselves of a persons foibles and background. Sometimes the nuts and bolts are very interesting but this should usually only physical background (eg appearance, voice, retrospective childhood, career) without giving the psychological insight. It's the thought processes both seen and unseen which will make a character exciting or bland.
Think of To Kill A Mockingbird, where Boo Radley, is constantly referred to and variously described, yet we learn very little actual information about him. What we develop is our own peresonal picture and that is far more real to us that the author's.
This iceberg-treatment of characters has served me well recently with Never Kiss A Stranger, where with the exception of the narrator, Amy Porter, I reveal very little about people's deepest inner thought, and even her judgement is questionable. Bond, Costas, Conrad, Lini, Spiros and Papa K have little body on the bone in comparison - yet they are all fully fleshed characters!
Good luck with it.

#493 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

This depends how important your character is to the overall arc of the story. If their behaviour effects the way the story and that character develops then it is vital that you understand how to envisage that person.
If they have a major influence over the eventual outcome then unsubtle changes in their personality will be noted by a reader. This does not however mean they need to be bland. I'm interested to read that you have felt the need to rewrite sections and create a new background for your character. This basically means your "old" character has already bitten the dust. If the "new" character fulfills the same role as the "old" only with persona adjustments, I'd say you should stick with the "new" as it is clearly the direction your mind is stretched.
However, if the the "new" must retain elements of the "old" you may well be crossing the two personas. That means it is time to sit back and re-think how you approach this particular person.
Remember as well, Paul, that the audience doesn't need to know everything about a character. A good author should only tell a portion of facts and actions, (say 25%) which will allow readers to inform themselves of a persons foibles and background. Sometimes the nuts and bolts are very interesting but this should usually only physical background (eg appearance, voice, retrospective childhood, career) without giving the psychological insight. It's the thought processes both seen and unseen which will make a character exciting or bland.
Think of To Kill A Mockingbird, where Boo Radley, is constantly referred to and variously described, yet we learn very little actual information about him. What we develop is our own peresonal picture and that is far more real to us that the author's.
This iceberg-treatment of characters has served me well recently with Never Kiss A Stranger, where with the exception of the narrator, Amy Porter, I reveal very little about people's deepest inner thought, and even her judgement is questionable. Bond, Costas, Conrad, Lini, Spiros and Papa K have little body on the bone in comparison - yet they are all fully fleshed characters!
Good luck with it.

Sound advice.
When looking to develop characters I like to have a clear picture of who they are.
Sometimes I feel that because I know them so well, I don't have to reveal certain characteristics which I know exist as they speak or move.
I am trying to develop that type of writing, along with the five sense discriptions of scenes that seems to bring to life a passage in the story.

#494 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

Quite true lads.

As most of my characters are based on people I know (Matt and Joyce in particular - Many late night discussions over the years face-to-face in some exotic locale for real) and others based upon their writings here and other places, it's fun yet not by any means easy. When it's your own original character, that's full freedom. I've always made sure to check it out with those in question as to my representation of them and I like to think I've done you all proud in one way or another.

I guess that's why I haven't attempted Bond. I find it a bit too daunting. For those of you that have, I salute you in your efforts. You hit the nail on the head for me and weild your hammer well.

Just polishing Kate's bit.

Also, doing the same on my outline for this next holiday adventure which is happily taking me away from some real world stuff. "always have an escape plan". ;)

An RAF drone on the loose and in the wrong hands is going to stir up the holidays for Bryce and a few other double-o's. Mayhem, a little history, belly dancing, a right-cross at the right time, Joyce's first flying lesson and the Queen Mary 2.

Get ready for "Beyond the Sea".

What could possibly go wrong?

#495 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

Get ready for "Beyond the Sea".

What could possibly go wrong?

Kevin Spacey could sing the theme tune....?

#496 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

Bryce, Joyce, Volante, Terminus, et al,

Been working on a short-short story for a few weeks. I finally put the finishing touches to a first draft this weekend. I was kind of messing about with non-Bond stuff, but I've given it a 007 slant and a Christmas twist. So, having first not being much bothered about a James Bond Christmas, I guess I will have a contribution this year anyhow. Hurrah!
It isn't very Christmassy, but...

Welcome back James Bond...

APOLLO'S TEARS

24th December 2011

#497 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

I won't get to read it until the New Year then, more than likely, but I will look forward to it.

#498 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:23 AM

Excellent.

#499 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Good.

The idea I had for a story has sort of started growing into an idea for a novel, and time is seriously working against me - or, my job is. So I'm afraid I won't be contributing this year. But I will most definitely be reading.

:)

#500 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

Well, it looks like barring some last minute submission we don't have new Holiday Bond. But for those who didn't avail themselves of last year's treats, there's plenty of accessible good Holiday Bond fiction from last year on the fanfiction section! I emptied my (Walther) clip in last year's submission, but if anyone's going to post a Holiday themed Bond I'll be looking for it. Happy Christmas and if you're skiing watch out for avalanches and snow fans.

#501 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

Mine is likely to be posted in the New Year, unfortunately - been getting a little bit stumped on writing this years adventure.

#502 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:23 AM

Well, it looks like barring some last minute submission we don't have new Holiday Bond. But for those who didn't avail themselves of last year's treats, there's plenty of accessible good Holiday Bond fiction from last year on the fanfiction section! I emptied my (Walther) clip in last year's submission, but if anyone's going to post a Holiday themed Bond I'll be looking for it. Happy Christmas and if you're skiing watch out for avalanches and snow fans.

Hey hey Ho Ho Mr Hazard.....
just wait a few days
Christmas Eve I said!

#503 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

I will look forward to it and hopefully have a chance to finally digest your longer piece. Once again, I encourage anyone who hasn't to check out last year's submissions-Klinkeroo, Joyce Carrington, Bryce and Harry amongst them if memory serves me correct. Personally I always re-read a little of OHMSS this time of year as it was Fleming's Holiday Bond. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

#504 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Mine is likely to be posted in the New Year, unfortunately - been getting a little bit stumped on writing this years adventure.

Looking forward to it.

#505 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Happy Christmas.
After a few problems, Apollo's Tears is published for reading. I was a bit disappointed I can't post my cover image.Still I promised the short story on Christmas Eve, and I think it's still Christmas Eve some where in the world...
Best wishes for the season.
Chris

#506 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for this Christmas present, chrisno1!

It's bleak, which, as you know, I like. Excellent job at creating a very moody atmsphere. :)

#507 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

And I thought Klinkeroo wrote bleak! Leave it to James not to have an uncomplicated Christmas. Bet he's dying to get back to London and a dangerous assignment to take his mind off this. Thanks for the Christmas present.

#508 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Good stuff chrisno. Quite enjoyed it.

Hopefully I'll ring in the New Year. Decided to trim a bit here and there, but all for the better.

Cheers all!

#509 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

Ho Ho, Bang Bang.

A hearty, Christmas bump for this old chestnut of a thread.

#510 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Christmas?!? Again!?!

Should have been a busy bee back in June, now it's going to be tricky...