553 replies to this topic

#391 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Harry - Again your work and writing is like the best Beluga - Once you've had some, you just want more. With plenty of toast! :D

I decided to enjoy my own New Year and just spend my evening dancing the night away with my sultry spy girl. A fine meal of Veal and pasta, a few glasses of the good scotch (MaCallan 18) and one bottle Tattinger Rose' and a '95 Dom for our table of (Double-O) seven to ring in 2011. The DJ cued up the Bond theme when we entered the restaurant.

I need to proof my last bit later today, but should have it up shortly after.

A drive back to London, more of the manor revealed, a tangle on a dark street with some thugs vs. John and Kate, a lavish night cap at the Rivoli bar at the Ritz and Matt, Joyce, Gala, Harry and Alec will all be mentioned if not turning up here and there. Damn bit of fun, but ran on longer than expected. Not a bad thing, just lot's more proofing.

Cheers all. :tup:

#392 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

I really need to finish off the other stories I've not taken in yet - and look forward to the next installment of our 003 adventure.

Not sure if the third Alec North will be ready in the forseeable future, but I have another Bond project up my sleeve that should be announced in the next few days.

#393 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

Joyce,
Yesterday I read "DREAMING OF" the companion piece to "A Right Christmas"
Interesting.

Thank you very much for your comments, Chris. :)

Certainly the bleakest stuff I've ever written, these two stories. I probably won't go that dark again for a while. Joyce doesn't deserve it. Or does she? ;)

There is a lot of sadness attached to the tale, a lot of stories untold, and while the follow up goes someway to explaining them, it also re-enforces the impression that Joyce is trapped in her own world, still unable to communicate what she feels and thinks, exactly as when she was struck dumb by a sudden calamity.

Especially appreciate these insights. I'm still (even after about 12 years) getting to know Joyce, and I suppose still getting to know myself - as Joyce is, almost inevitably, some kind of reflection of me.

#394 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

A snip of things to come as the proofing continues. ;)

Retrieving the switchblade, she eyed the two others. Not looking, she continued to flip it in her hand at a half rotation. Pommel to blade estimating both it's weight and judging the distance as she did so with an icy stare through her eyes.

"Not quite the way to treat a lady boys...But as your property is now mine, I plan to return the favour."

Kate smiled setting her jaw and then twirled her body to the left thrusting the blade in mid-spin at the man on her right.

Never piss off a Scottish girl. ;)

#395 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

A snip of things to come as the proofing continues. ;)

Retrieving the switchblade, she eyed the two others. Not looking, she continued to flip it in her hand at a half rotation. Pommel to blade estimating both it's weight and judging the distance as she did so with an icy stare through her eyes.

"Not quite the way to treat a lady boys...But as your property is now mine, I plan to return the favour."

Kate smiled setting her jaw and then twirled her body to the left thrusting the blade in mid-spin at the man on her right.

Never piss off a Scottish girl. ;)

Never piss off a very sexy Scottish girl called Kate!

Nice.

#396 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

Chapter 4 - THE SECRET SERVANT POSTED AND ONLINE NOW. ENJOY.

#397 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

A COUPLE OF TEASERS FROM CHAPTER 4

THE SECRET SERVANT

ALREADY POSTED

‘...It has been a long time, James,’ he murmured.
‘Nineteen Forty-three,’ Bond told him, a soft smile touching his lips as they shook hands.
‘Chastel-Nouvel,’ said Cheval. ‘You had parachuted out of a Lancaster from six thousand feet in pitch black and absolutely filthy weather. A crazy young Englishman with a death-wish, no less.’
‘I wouldn’t have made it if it weren’t for you though. You got me safely passed six German Sabre patrols and a Panzer Division to the local resistance leader at Le Crouzet.’
Saint Cheval nodded. ‘That traitor Remy Caspar. But you probably remember his daughter more than that [censuré], James, no?’

Fleeing France for London wounded and devastated, Saint Cheval found himself inevitably joining the very secret department called Section F of the Special Operations Executive with nothing but bloody vengeance etched deep into his soul. After a year of commando and paramilitary training in the Highlands of Scotland and the wild countryside of South Yorkshire, he was sent back to France by boat under the cover of darkness in 1941 to lead a group of men and women of the Free French Army to fight the Germans in the green hills, woodlands, farms and villages of Le Midi.

The hotel was regrettably without a doubt a run-down and shabby affair, to Bond’s somewhat selective standards at least. It was managed by a tall curly haired Moroccan who had a dangerously dishonest and ostentatious smirk that irritated Bond sizeably; and 75 Francs shorter got him a rather small room with shower on the third floor, not to mention the wretched view of an old derelict block of flats up for demolition.
Having packed, Bond decided to go out for a walk, more to wind down after his rough flight from London than anything else, and he ended up on the edge of the Seine – a pearl of a place, chastely enticing.

‘How did you know I wasn’t French?’ Bond found himself asking as he lit the cigarette for her, devouring her wholly from top to bottom with his eyes.
She had brown hair cut oddly short, spellbinding bluish-black eyes that seemed to touch his very innards, and a figure underneath a smooth black dress that spoke volumes about the word French voluptuousness...
A smile formed on her red-hot lips, a smile that would have charmed the devil himself there and then, let alone melt Bond’s heart away instantly.
‘Monsieur, I know enough Frenchmen to know when someone as good looking as you is not in fact a Frenchman,’ she said sternly, eyeing him up closely herself. ‘Does that make any sense to you?’
‘Not exactly, but you’ve got my attention, Ms…?’

SO READ ON GENTLE READER MINE, THE EDGE SHARPENS SOON :D

#398 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

Well Harry my fine fellow, once again, you really capture the essence of Fleming. Also the era that you set it in. IFP should have turned to you for DMC.

Damn fine read. :tup:

Hopefully I'll get my own up today.

Cheers.

From Los Angeles with Love (and great respect),

#399 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

First of all, welcome Pam. Hope you enjoy reading the wonderful stories in here. Believe me, you won't be disappointed. And I'm dying to read your views on the subject material each writer has come up with. So dig in, girl dear, and get reading :D .

As for me and CHARM THE DEVIL:

CHAPTER
THE KILLING GROUND

COMING SOON

#400 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

Well, I just got back from Jamaica (yes, really Jamaica, saw where they filmed the Crab Key sequences ant tried to see past the gates and trees to check out Goldeneye) and now that I'm back I intend to sit down with Harry's latest offering and share my thoughts. Looks like something to savor rather than to race through quickly. All I can say so far is nice work everybody.

#401 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

Welcome home then. Did you bring the rest of us back any coffee? ;)

Been a bit swamped with some work this week, but I'll hopefully (fingers crossed) have my last bit up by tomorrow.

I echo your thoughts MHazard.

Well done everyone. :D

#402 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

Chapter 5 posted off to the MOds God bless 'em.

The above chapter I particularly liked writing so I hope you enjoy it. Here's a slight excerpt just to get you in the mood so to speak:

...Was that how he now saw that particular episode: the filching of a man’s life in exchange for a simple designation code?
Obtaining a OO number isn't hard, so long as you’re prepared to kill, old boy,’ Jeff Franks, his Chief in Overseas Surveillance and Control had told him when Bond revealed his intention of applying for a position with the double O section.
Certainly, Bond had killed before then, during the war, but once faced with the Nagayami assignment nine months ago, it had felt different. The whole thing seemed… filthy.

IAN FLEMING'S
JAMES BOND
IS
BACK

#403 Automan

Automan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

Chapter 5 posted off to the MOds God bless 'em.

The above chapter I particularly liked writing so I hope you enjoy it. Here's a slight excerpt just to get you in the mood so to speak:

...Was that how he now saw that particular episode: the filching of a man’s life in exchange for a simple designation code?
Obtaining a OO number isn't hard, so long as you’re prepared to kill, old boy,’ Jeff Franks, his Chief in Overseas Surveillance and Control had told him when Bond revealed his intention of applying for a position with the double O section.
Certainly, Bond had killed before then, during the war, but once faced with the Nagayami assignment nine months ago, it had felt different. The whole thing seemed… filthy.

IAN FLEMING'S
JAMES BOND
IS
BACK

I certainly enjoyed reading it. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Cool and classy; just as a Bond book should be

#404 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

Well Harry, as the saying goes...

" 'nuff said."

Bloody well done.....As usual.

Apologies to all for not getting my last bit up sooner, but my Monday is clear and after a few morning errands, you'll have some fun for the rest of the week. ;)

Gala will be a part of it, North will show up, Joyce and Matt have all but short of a brawl, Harry has a mention and the Bryce sibilings kick some butt.

The last read through/proofing went well but I just need to tweak a few moments.

Especially when Kate demands to drive the Jaguar.

"John....I know Mum willed it to you....I learned to drive in that car too....I don't care what bastard making of it you let those 'whiz-bang' experts in your division did. It was Mum's car...Not Dad's. Please?"

He couldn't deny the look in her eyes. He tossed her the keys.

"Just don't press any buttons I tell you not to."

She smiled as she caught them; "Is there an ejector seat?".

He raised an eyebrow.

"How do you know it doesn't eject the driver?"

"Oh....That's just devious....Clever...but devious."

"Tony's funny like that."

#405 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

Excellent.

Now that I have handed the reigns of Ultimate Bond temporarily over to dinovelvet, I fully intend to get caught up on the stories I've not yet read. Looking forward to Charm the Devil after all the positive comments it seems to be getting!

And can't wait for your next story, Bryce - as well as seeing North pop up!

#406 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

Harry, just gotten through chapter 3 of Charm the Devil, slowing working my way through (savoring) the story. Very nice work. I don't know about Bond on a bus, I've always seen him as always having a car but if he did take the bus, I'm sure it would be as you describe. Nice feel for the era and early Fleming "Bondness". I'll provide more detailed comments when I've finished.

#407 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Now then, enough of the ‘soft stuff’ such as reflections, briefings, more reflections, not to mention the intimation of sizzling sex, and a personal character analysis of our famous secret agent – all of which can be found in the first 5 chapters of Harry Fawkes’ Charm The Devil, and which were brought to you to set the mood and time frame.

I say enough, gentle readers, because it is now time to get down to the wire.

In other words, I’m upping the heat considerably!

To sum up therefore, Bond is faced with a very, very dangerous assignment indeed:

It is 1950 and the height of the Cold War.
The United States is at war with North Korea and back in the UK, our man OO7 has been tasked by M to ‘rescue’ a Russian double agent from deep within the wolf’s (or should that read bear’s) lair; a Russian double agent who has spent the last 11 years in the KGB secretly working for the British Intelligence Service.

whilst he’s at it, Bond is also expected to assassinate a man called Ilya Klebanov, the Russian Minister responsible for military industry and policies, amongst other shadier and sinister cold war matters that is.

The snag?

5 GRU agents who are no less than experts in the art of killing and VIP protection...

So, how on earth am I going to get our famous spy out of this one?

The easy way out perhaps?

No such thing in a Harry Fawkes novel!

So, gentle reader mine, just stay tuned for the next three final chapters of Charm the Devil, exclusive to CBn, and you will be thrilled to your very bones.

Even John le Carré would raise an eyebrow for what I have in store for Commander James Bond of the British Secret Service…

And he told me so himself believe it or not :D

IN THE ULTIMATE FAN FIC TRIBUTE TO IAN FLEMING

JAMES BOND IS BACK

IN

H A R R Y F A W K E S
CHARM THE DEVIL

Avoid looking into an open grave.
You may see yourself there one day

- Russian Proverb

#408 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

Go Harry Go!

Looking forward to it mate. ;)

#409 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

CHAPTER

THE DEVIL PREFERS THE BRAVE

COMING
SOO7
N

#410 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

Excellent.

Got a bit swamped this week, but all will be getting something for the weekend. Had a lovely talk with Fenna and she's been privy to what's ahead. I also wanted an approval on her portrayal. She gave it and was very pleased with what's in store. More proofing today and I'm adding another scene.

We'll see where I'm at with the end of the day. Ideally, finished and with a glass of the golden 18 year old single malt. ;)

Cheers all!

I'm very proud of a few parts.

I'm also very proud of what everyone has contributed. Truly...Bond at it's best. :D

#411 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Excellent.

Got a bit swamped this week, but all will be getting something for the weekend. Had a lovely talk with Fenna and she's been privy to what's ahead. I also wanted an approval on her portrayal. She gave it and was very pleased with what's in store. More proofing today and I'm adding another scene.

We'll see where I'm at with the end of the day. Ideally, finished and with a glass of the golden 18 year old single malt. ;)

Cheers all!

I'm very proud of a few parts.

I'm also very proud of what everyone has contributed. Truly...Bond at it's best. :D

At my age having anything 18 years old would make a few parts proud.

#412 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

CHAPTER

COMING
SOO7
N

how soon is this coming, Harry?

#413 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

CHAPTER

COMING
SOO7
N

how soon is this coming, Harry?

Coming Sunday Chrisno1. Forgive the delay.

#414 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

Will be posting soon. Just brushing up on a few things. Cool stuff if you ask me. See ya all soon.

#415 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Ah, yes. The fine world of Ian Fleming. What it does to a man.
The excitement, the luxury, the sardonic humor and last but not least
the sensual zest of a very sexy woman called Nightingale

STEP INTO THE CLASSIC WORLD
OF
IAN FLEMING
THROUGH THE EYES
OF
HARRY FAWKES
WITH
CHAPTER 6
OF

CHARM THE DEVIL

YOU WILL ENJOY!

...James Bond walked through into his room and got out of his clothes, placing them tidily on the bed. He went into the bathroom and took a quick shower. Drying himself up, he glanced into the mirror and noted that flare of excitement in his blue-grey eyes. His lean, hard face now had the tightness of what he liked to call professional tension about it, and the scar down his cheek accentuated such look considerably...
Fifteen minutes later, in plain white shirt, dark blue trousers of Navy serge, dark blue socks and black moccasin shoes, he was at the small desk near the window writing into a note book and smoking rather heavily...

JAMES BOND IS BACK
AT HIS BEST

#416 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

CHARM THE DEVIL

A secret occasion in the life of
Ian Fleming’s
James Bond oo7

EXCERPTS FROM
CHAPTER 6

‘That’s perfect you old rogue. I used one when I was last here during the war. Model G.II. Three blades. Sent two shells dashing down on a Panzer patrol on its way to Dunkirk.’
‘I still say it’s too chancy though, James. The whole satané affair that is.’
‘Well, coming from a man who gave the SS one hell of a bloody nose with nothing but a handful of farmers and peasants making up his men, I find that comment rather satirical. What was it you once said? Sometimes you’ve just got to dare all to win all. How’s that for chancy?’
‘That was over a card game, James, just before I smuggled you out of France after the Von Shlinser affair. Which reminds me, you still owe me that 100 Francs thank you very much. I won that night, remember, and you had no money on you?’
‘Which reminds me never to play chemin de fer with a crook like you again.’

...Born in Smolensk to one of Russia’s wealthiest families, her mother had died giving birth to her. She was raised as an only child by her loving father, the great steel and shipping magnate, and despite his unyielding passion for his affluent industry, Ivor Rishkov had made damn sure that he dedicate as much time as he possibly could to little Yelena. She was everything to him and he objectively showered her with nothing but endless love. She was his little princess, he used to say, and he would do everything for her. The world in fact was hers for the taking. No less. When she was old enough, he sent her to the best schools in Moscow and Yelena indeed proved to be exceedingly gifted, showing wonderful flair for international affairs and foreign languages, not to mention poetry and art. Thanks to her father’s influences and connections, and of course her delightful qualifications, a job as an executive secretary at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs proved rather straightforward, albeit her father’s disapproval.
But then came the exciting postings abroad: Germany, France, Italy, Czechoslovakia and Greece. What more could a Russian girl ask for out of life, particularly bearing in mind the fact that the Soviet Union was what it was back then.
And then the War and Hitler changed everything...

...Her hair was brilliant auburn, cut beautifully in the French style known as La Coupe Sauvage, long enough to hang between her shoulder blades, yet seemingly short at the front, layered and feathered at the sides and framing her gorgeous face...
Stunning!
It was then that her eyes met Bond’s, a split second, that’s all, and during which they were both conscious of a bizarre exhilaration, a living thing that seemed to power up amongst them from across the room. There came the suggestion of an inviting smile, and then she turned away and sat down beside Klebanov and the two goons.
Saint Cheval chuckled gaily, noticing the whole thing between the two.
‘Discipline, James, discipline my boy.’
Bond laughed at that and turned back to his food, simply fascinated at the prospect of sharing a train compartment with such a fine-looking creature - if of course his plan succeeded.
‘Believe me, Jaques, the damage was done as soon as she walked through that arch over there and our eyes met.’
‘Then this is indeed going to be a very interesting assignment, mon ami. One I wouldn’t miss for the world.’

CLASSIC BOND,
AND NO LESS

NOW ONLINE

#417 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

And now that the introductions are over, let's have the explosive ending, shall we?
Coming soon, the finale of
CHARM THE DEVIL.
I promise you: Nothing but breakneck speed, excitement that'll have you by the balls, and Bond's usual sang-froid, especially in trying circumstances.

So stay tuned for
Chapter 7

HARRYFAWKES

#418 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

CHAPTER

RUSSIAN ROULETTE

SOO7N

HARRYFAWKES

#419 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

TEASER

…Three hours earlier the rain had stopped in Paris and it strangely felt warmer. It was going to be madness of course, Bond had thought as he got up to stand in front of the window, smoking. Madness because the whole thing could turn either way and he was actually banking on Klebanov swallowing the whole thing hook, line and sinker based on the little he had read of him in the MI6 file he’d been passed to read by Bill Tanner, just before flying out here; and as he stood there thinking about it all, Bond’s mind suddenly went back to another occasion he had put to use one of his bold ‘concepts’: It was three years ago, when he was undergoing training to become a double O. Not far from London, in the heart of the plush countryside of Wiltshire, MI6 owned a country house; an isolated place used as a training school for potential double Os to ensure that such a Section did not lack the right men. Bond had spent six grueling months of hard and sometimes brutal training, his instructors being mostly Commandos, SAS, Paras and Black Watch. It was however to prove a formidable experience for him and he achieved the highest marks out of the twenty or so candidates there. He was the perfect pupil and his last test – the initiative test – had been the deciding factor to ‘up’ Bond to the next level: 'INTEL' training with veteran SIS instructors. The initiative test involved nine trainees who were assigned the task of planting an imaginary bomb inside the Agecraft power station in Greater Manchester, North West England. The place was heavily guarded by the SAS and the police who’d been alerted as to what the trainees had been tasked to do. Bond was the only one to succeed, the other eight captured either trying to sneak in hidden in coal trucks or disguised as stokers. The beauty of it all was that Bond had put on his best Saville Row suit, rang up the managing director, explained in his best American accent that he was a visiting American engineer, and arranged an appointment for that afternoon. His imaginary bomb had been concealed in a false compartment of his briefcase. The game of bluff had paid off, and now back in his hotel room in Paris, he was once again going to base his chances on bluff...
He inhaled deeply and the phone rang. It was Jaques Saint Cheval and he had the two Russians Bond needed…

IAN FLEMING'S
JAMES BOND

#420 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

Oh, and if you're wandering, I lifted that particular piece off an actual real life test Fleming himself was put through in Canada during his time with the man called Intrepid. And yes he was the only man who passed the test as described above.

But then you are also probably asking yourself what the hell has my story got to do with Christmas? It has and takes place during the festive season of 1950. It'll end on New Year's day 1951. I know it is taking me a long time to conclude but I promise you all that I will be putting you out of your misery very soon. 1 more chapter to go and I'm out of your hair so to speak so please be patient with this crazy fool.

Merci mon amis.