#361 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

^ Why?

Because it was awful and almost everyone who's seen it thinks so too.

I did enjoy the movie and have even bought the dvd/bluray edition.

I must have missed the awefullnes of the movie as did most folks in the cinema I was at.

#362 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Its not awful, but its not great either.  The first half hour which tries to tie it into Ultimatum is unnecessary and really ruined the pacing of the movie.  Once Cross got to the US I thought the movie picked up well but it starts so slowly that it can easily take you out of it.

#363 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I've only just seen it recently. Not bad at all, but uselessly trying to connect the story to the first three. I liked the angle that suggested Cross (and perhaps Bourne/Webb too???) was basically a retarded recruit and after his fix of drugs not for the superhuman strength but because he doesn't want to become a vegetable again. Harrowing thought somehow.

This new direction is going quite some way down the SIX-MILLION-DOLLAR-MAN/science fiction route, something absent from Ludlum's originals. There is some potential in that, provided the studio wants to pursue the idea further.  

#364 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

i watched this film a few weeks ago, and while i found it entertaining, it's just reached a disturbing level in the Bourne Universe that basically the U.S. Governments  only job appears to be killing everyone that works for it

#365 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

i watched this film a few weeks ago, and while i found it entertaining, it's just reached a disturbing level in the Bourne Universe that basically the U.S. Governments  only job appears to be killing everyone that works for it

Indeed, not the most believable of plot elements. Especially since those doing the killing ought to be clever enough to realize their own names will end up on somebody's terminate-briefing sooner or later. Also - perhaps unwittingly - ludicrous is the inflation of 'ultra-cosmic-super-deadly-mega-killa' programmes. How much need for such death squads can there really be? Besides all the drones and marines and special forces and global wars? And would the revelation of such activities make it even in the headlines?

#366 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

I just found the entire film boring and unnecessary. I think the worst thing about it is that it seems to spend about half the film just recounting the events of Ultimatum.

#367 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

^ Why?

I must have missed the awefullnes of the movie as did most folks in the cinema I was at.

Well, all I've ever heard is complaints. Guy next to me said he got in for free and even he was complaining. I wished I had liked it as I prefer to enjoy films than not enjoy them, so good for you.

#368 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

^ Why?

Well, all I've ever heard is complaints. Guy next to me said he got in for free and even he was complaining. I wished I had liked it as I prefer to enjoy films than not enjoy them, so good for you.

People tend to complain and compare which is not fair to this movie which is essentialy a stand alone movie from the Bourne trilogy about another agent similar to Jason Bourne but yet his woes are so very different and so is his goal. Namely to survive and continue to function at the level he currently does. The movie had great actionscenes, loved the drone scene very much as well as the pursuit in Manilla to name a few.

I liked that we had the similar people from the Bourne series that gave the movie an anchor, and Renner was pretty impressive imho.

I do hope for a next movie with Renner.

#369 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

People tend to complain and compare which is not fair to this movie which is essentialy a stand alone movie from the Bourne trilogy about another agent similar to Jason Bourne but yet his woes are so very different and so is his goal. Namely to survive and continue to function at the level he currently does. The movie had great actionscenes, loved the drone scene very much as well as the pursuit in Manilla to name a few.

I liked that we had the similar people from the Bourne series that gave the movie an anchor, and Renner was pretty impressive imho.

I do hope for a next movie with Renner.

It would probably have fared better had it avoided the Bourne angle altogether, title included. THE CROSS SURVIVAL or something would have done this effort more justice. They could even have kept the Landy snippet without needlessly pulling all the Bourne strings so obviously and with so little success. 

#370 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

^ Why?

I don't think that's fair. I and several others I've talked to enjoyed it, and while I generally don't place too much stock in IMDB, it does indicate the trend of the masses.100,000 users have voted it a 6.7 - hardly awful.

#371 SolidWaffle

SolidWaffle

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I just watched it myself.  It wasn't as good as its predecessors but I still enjoyed it.  There's something about the series that makes each one very compelling for me.  

#372 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Perhaps the studio should move on to other Ludlum novels.

#373 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

I just watched it myself.  It wasn't as good as its predecessors but I still enjoyed it.  There's something about the series that makes each one very compelling for me.  

Yeah I really enjoyed it, I mean it wasn't as good as the other Bournes but that is really hard to beat.

#374 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:27 PM

http://www.aceshowbi...w/00085064.html

Bourne 5 casting is underway!! Of course Matt Damon is back and it is confirmed that Julia Stiles will be back as Nicky Parsons, Swedish actress Alicia Vilkander has signed on to as yet unknown role and Viggo Mortensen is in negotiations to play a villain! I could SO see him as a Treadstone-esque assassin.. No word yet on whether Joan Allen's Pamela Landy will make a return but we should know soon as production is scheduled to begin very, very soon to meet a July 26, 2016 release date. Hell yes!! :) As far as I've read, there is no plan for this film to have Bourne and Aaron Cross team up or have their paths cross but a separate film sequel to Jeremy Renner's "Bourne Legacy" is still in the works.

#375 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

All wonderful news.

Was reading anything I could get my hands on yesterday about this.  Cracking.

#376 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:04 PM

Yep...Here's another link which has a great badass looking pic of Viggo...definitely helps me picturing him as a Bourne assassin! :)

http://screenrant.co...iggo-mortensen/

#377 __7

__7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:45 PM

Just saw Bourne Legacy for the 2nd time last night and my overall grade has jumped from a B+ to an A-...I truly feel it's a much better movie than everyone gives it credit for..

Like this discussion.  I own Legacy and really enjoy it every time I put it on.  Very underrated movie.  Renner is very good as a Bourne-type, but the back-room banter between Norton and the folks was better than the first three Bourne movies.

#378 Sharpe

Sharpe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:45 AM

I think what would have made a more interesting Bourne sequel is NOT having it be about yet another super assassin for the US government. Rather, through the 'clean up', a scientist or couple of scientists manage to get away. OR an innocent bystander gets involved somehow and must rely on his wits and luck to get him through.

Something along the lines of north by northwest or the 13 steps.