2 replies to this topic

#1 Bonita

Bonita

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

Tonight I'm watching MILK with Sean Penn. A great film btw, and I thought back to a passage in "James Bond, The Legacy" where the book talks about how remarkable it was that the filmmakers were able to stage an assassination scene in SF City Hall after Dan White killed Mayor Moscone and Harvey Milk, and how the film premiered there on what would have been his birthday. And then, late in the film, there's Milk at the opera. And what Opera? Tosca.

Holy Puccini...

And the opera obviously has a parallel to the real death of Milk, drawn very carefully by the filmmakers.

So who would have thought that the opera would appear in two November releases? Who thought there would be another "link" between 007 and Harvey Milk beyond the brief mention in a book on the Bond films? What a strange universe.

I'll have to say, I'd much rather see the staging seen in Quantum of Solace than the version seen briefly in Milk.

Keep dancing...

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

I'm sure he once drank some milk.

That's not a euphemism, by the way.

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

There's a thread I never thought I'd see. At first I thought the thread was going to be about if Milk will do better than QoS at the box office.

Odd they'd name the film Milk as he's not that well known and shares his name with a product. It's almost amusing to think many will consider seeing this film thinking it's an animated sequel to Barnyard or Home on the Range. I heard stories when South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut came out there were moronic parents who were outraged when they took their kids to it, not realizing it was rated R.

Incidentally, I was only a kid when Milk was murdered and remember the controversy of whether to play a Monday Night Football game in San Francisco when it happened. They did play the game. This was before the Niners' glory days with Joe Montanna.