27 replies to this topic

#1 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows if Mitchell was a Quantum operative who managed to get himself a job at MI6 and work his way up to the position of M's bodyguard.

OR

Do you think that Quantum targeted him for their organisation because of his unique position, and convinced him to join them with a handsome salary?

Thoughts?

#2 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

It's a very good question and I'd say the scales about evenly weighted between the two options, but I'm going to go with option two. Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I think people can be bought fairly easily in the right circumstances. I know I could be.

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Interesting question.

I think they turned him from his position.

M: Craig Mitchell worked for me for 8 years.... he passed a lie detector test every year, and didn't need a scrap of paper to explain any of it.

So I'm guessing that Mitchell has recently been turned for two reasons.

1) If he knew M for 8 years and was her bodyguard for 5. I think he would've done something before the Siena incident.

2) He needs to be VERY lucky to pass a lie detector test for 8 years in a row, so I guess he turned after his last test.

#4 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

I don’t think the film gives us any evidence either way, so I’ll go with what’s more likely, in my mind.

#2. They ‘turned’ him while in position. Maybe even blackmailed him. They seem to like doing that.

#5 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

They couldn't have black-mailed him easily because he had no known living relatives and he always gave to charity.

I just think he was pissed at M for only giving him ashtrays for Christmas.

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

How many times does one have to say:

KEEP THE SPOILER OUT OF THE TOPIC HEADING.

Thank you.

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

They couldn't have black-mailed him easily because he had no known living relatives and he always gave to charity.

Especially when he didnt even smoke.

#8 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

That's settled! He 'turned' because M wasn't a very thoughtful Christmas present giver. She hurt his feelings.

#9 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:50 PM

He liked smoking. He just couldn't afford smokes on his MI6 salary. Thus, he turned to the more profitable Quantum.

Unfortunately, he ran into Bond before receiving his first paycheck.

#10 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

That's settled! He 'turned' because M wasn't a very thoughtful Christmas present giver. She hurt his feelings.

Or maybe she called him fat.

#11 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

Well, there's no compensating for the poor audio quality of a pirated dvd being played on a teeny little tv for one to hear something they wouldn't ordinarily hear if one actually saw it at the theatre - where it's still playing.

I think she called him a ":(ing prat"....Poor audio quality would likely compress it to "f at"

#12 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:19 PM

Well, there's no compensating for the poor audio quality of a pirated dvd being played on a teeny little tv for one to hear something they wouldn't ordinarily hear if one actually saw it at the theatre - where it's still playing.

Yes, and there really were WMDs! :(

#13 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

:)

Yes, and there really were WMDs! :(

I don't think M mentioned anything about WMDs in Quantum. I think that's probably mentioned in your Malasyian or Taiwanese copy of Oliver Stone's W.

:)

#14 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

It would be a rther sad state of affairs if Mitchell had been a Quantum agent prior to his hiring at MI6. A successful lie detector test every year, 8 straight years? No knowledge of Quantum at all until Bond captured Mr. White? That would mean pretty shoddy detective work by MI6.

#15 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows if Mitchell was a Quantum operative who managed to get himself a job at MI6 and work his way up to the position of M's bodyguard.

OR

Do you think that Quantum targeted him for their organisation because of his unique position, and convinced him to join them with a handsome salary?

Thoughts?

I don't think it particularly matters. Either way, it shows the influence and how spectre-like Quantum are in establishing themselves and carrying out their operations.

#16 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

I don't see Quantum being an organization that plants very many people. I see them approaching people already where they want them by presenting themselves as the ultimate business enterprise, a multinational's multinational, a lucrative (and stable) alternative to the underpaid grind of ordinary life. Especially for someone in Mitchell's position, whose job is already to kill the morally gray enemies of his morally gray employer, I'm sure the opportunity is extremely tempting.

#17 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

I would agree with Publius and not to do off topic but did anyone notice that the actor who plays Mitchell, Glenn Foster, is actually a stunt man and not an actor and has some big movies under his belt as a stunt man like both of the Nolan Batman films, CR and DAD, and The Bourne Ultimatum. So it seems both CR and QoS have non-actors playing both baddies Bond is pursuing in both foot chases.

#18 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

... did anyone notice that the actor who plays Mitchell, Glenn Foster, is actually a stunt man and not an actor and has some big movies under his belt as a stunt man ... So it seems both CR and QoS have non-actors playing...baddies Bond is pursuing in both foot chases.

That's actually very interesting and kool.

Thanks!

#19 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

I thought Mitchell was being blackmailed to work for Quantum, rather like Vesper... :(

#20 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

I suggested that, but don't really believe it.

#21 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

I suggested that, but don't really believe it.

Oh, you suggested that? I couldn't remember where I'd heard it from... :(

Also, I'm a little confused: What exactly is the connection between Mitchell and Slate's bank accounts, and how the hell did Mitchell get his mitts on Le Chiffre's money? I got the gist of it, but I'm still perplexed. :)

#22 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:30 AM

I believe they planted marked bills with Le Chiffre before the the event's of CR/card game.

As for Slate and Mitchell, I believe they were both being paid with similar marked bills, thus linking the two.

#23 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

It's a very good question and I'd say the scales about evenly weighted between the two options, but I'm going to go with option two. Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I think people can be bought fairly easily in the right circumstances. I know I could be.

Thanks. I thought it was worth bringing up.

#24 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

I think he had worked for Quantum for a while. clearly they got wind he was linked to the head of mi6, they caught him maybe on his way home. After all Mitchell lived in a little flat in London. Cornered him, I guess he wasn't over the moon with the mi6 salary. Quantum talked to him and likely explained a little about themselves, they seem to hardly tell anyone the main story (Beam was working for them and didn't even know it). Mitchell began to get paid by Quantum, he was hardly going to kill M or destroy Mi6, they needed a mole to find out information and feed it back to them. Mitchell was far to usefull to waste.
He only turned at the moment at that time becasue Mr. White (clearly a man of great importance to Quantum) had been arrested and they needed him back, what we're learned from Quantum so far is that if anything goes wrong you'll likely die (Le Chiffre, Vesper, and Greene). So Mitchell took the chance killed the agent and took a shot at M, but clealry he had never seen a Bond movie before and a highly elaborate chase followed.

#25 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

clealry he had never seen a Bond movie before and a highly elaborate chase followed.

Oh he did. He just wasn't expecting one so soon after a car chase. B) :tdown:

#26 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

I think he had worked for Quantum for a while. clearly they got wind he was linked to the head of mi6, they caught him maybe on his way home. After all Mitchell lived in a little flat in London. Cornered him, I guess he wasn't over the moon with the mi6 salary. Quantum talked to him and likely explained a little about themselves, they seem to hardly tell anyone the main story (Beam was working for them and didn't even know it). Mitchell began to get paid by Quantum, he was hardly going to kill M or destroy Mi6, they needed a mole to find out information and feed it back to them. Mitchell was far to usefull to waste.
He only turned at the moment at that time becasue Mr. White (clearly a man of great importance to Quantum) had been arrested and they needed him back, what we're learned from Quantum so far is that if anything goes wrong you'll likely die (Le Chiffre, Vesper, and Greene). So Mitchell took the chance killed the agent and took a shot at M, but clealry he had never seen a Bond movie before and a highly elaborate chase followed.

Sounds reasonable, although it would have been funny to hear what Mitchell was thinking as Bond chased him: "Blimey, this [censored]er's fast!" B)

#27 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

He liked smoking. He just couldn't afford smokes on his MI6 salary. Thus, he turned to the more profitable Quantum.

Well, with the B)ing taxes they put on cigarettes these days, who can blame him?

#28 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

This is the best explanation I've heard so far, good work.