35 replies to this topic

#31 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:25 AM

Funny thing is that Terry is quite good (IMO) in season 2 of 24. That's why I have to put some of the blame on the writing. It's got to be the most generic Felix appearance in the series.

I think it's more a case of the actor improving with age; around the time of TLD he gave some astonishingly bad performances in other films (Hawk the Slayer has to be seen to be believed!) yet he has carved out a fairly respectable career for himself in recent years on U.S television - you're right about his performance in 24 being pretty good, along with similar work in the likes of E.R.

He's brilliant in Lost, and I seem to remember him being quite good in Las Vegas too.

#32 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

Norman Burton Born 85 Years Ago Today
FelixLeiter.com

#33 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

Is there a scene in Diamonds Are Forever where Burton isn't making a goofy face? Finding good screenshots of him on Google is hard! B)

#34 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

Hard for me to compare Norman with John Terry. Both are probably my least favorite Leiters. Terry could have been pretty good had a few more scenes w/ Tim been included. They did have a good rapport.

It's funny, in Dr No as Sean is checking the geiger counter, he and Jack Lord practically look like twins: same style shirts, haircuts, age range, etc. In Diamonds, he and Burton look like twins: middle aged, same haircit w/ sideburns, same build, awfuls suits.

#35 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

I don't think Burton was miscast really, I think it was a decision by EON. It has been mentioned before in other forums here recently, but it really hit home when I watched Dr. No.
After Dr. No, and I saw this recently on the big screen, and it really came over how, for me, Sean was stuggling, he wasn't quite the finished James Bond that we see in From Russia with Love onwards, and Jack Lord comes over with a real persona in that film, and comes over extremely cool and collected, almost overshadowing Connery. I think EON definitely thought that they would not go through that route again, so they casted their Felix's appropriately. I think with Jeffrey Wright now, though, they are ready to give Felix some wings, so to speak.
I don't mind Burton though, and I do like the remark "Do you mind if we find Blofeld first" to Connery, when they are at Whytes LV location.

#36 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

At least Cec Linder's Leiter Goldfinger had a personality. John Terry as Leiter was a frickin' robot.

B)

Cec Linder's Leiter had a personality? You were serious about that?

After Dr. No, and I saw this recently on the big screen, and it really came over how, for me, Sean was stuggling, he wasn't quite the finished James Bond that we see in From Russia with Love onwards, and Jack Lord comes over with a real persona in that film, and comes over extremely cool and collected, almost overshadowing Connery.

I thought that Jack Lord DID overshadow Connery. Every time the two were in the same scene, Connery became forced and awkward.

Edited by DR76, 23 April 2009 - 05:55 PM.