8 replies to this topic

#1 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:39 AM

I've heard rumors that there were originally going to be scenes of a young 007 in the early script drafts for "The Living Daylights"--I've even heard we would've seen flashbacks of Bond as a child. Does anyone know the context of these scenes or how they were meant to be used in the story?

#2 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

I didn't know that.However I do remember reading that there was talk of doing a film showing Bond getting his 00 licence, but Cubby vetoed it as he didn't think it would work.....(!)

#3 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

I've read the 6 early treatments/drafts of TLD.

Some are only a couple pages.

I seem to recall a reference or two to Bond's childhood but it's backstory - there wasn't dialog and it didn't appear that it would be filmed.

In most of the treatments and drafts - Bond is a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy - he isn't even a Commander yet.

#4 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

So is the plot different to reflect Bond having a lower rank?

Also, do you happen to remember what kind of reference there were to Bond's childhood, DNS?

#5 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

I seem to remember that the film was about a rebellious Bond in the navy, going agsinst the rules, being a bit of a maverick, then some fatherly figure, I beleive an Uncle character was mentioned would encourage him to do something and by the end of the film he would join mi6. The idea was vetoed by Cubby who said people had no interest in seeing a young reckless Bond, and he was right.

CR and QOS are very different. They play on the elements of Bond's character, what has defined him in popular culture and try to find reason within them. Why does he kill with no remorse? How does he go from meaningless relationship to meaningless relationship and never committ? These were by far more interesting aspects to follow then why did Bond join mi6.

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

I seem to remember that the film was about a rebellious Bond in the navy, going agsinst the rules, being a bit of a maverick, then some fatherly figure, I beleive an Uncle character was mentioned would encourage him to do something and by the end of the film he would join mi6. The idea was vetoed by Cubby who said people had no interest in seeing a young reckless Bond, and he was right.

I have to admit that Cubby's decision to drop that idea is a very wise move indeed.

#7 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

I have to admit that Cubby's decision to drop that idea is a very wise move indeed.

I'm not so sure about that. A Bond-Begins concept with Maibaum behind the typewriter could've been fantastic.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

I've read the 6 early treatments/drafts of TLD.

Some are only a couple pages.

I seem to recall a reference or two to Bond's childhood but it's backstory - there wasn't dialog and it didn't appear that it would be filmed.

In most of the treatments and drafts - Bond is a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy - he isn't even a Commander yet.

Interesting. Thanks.

#9 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

I seem to remember that the film was about a rebellious Bond in the navy, going agsinst the rules, being a bit of a maverick, then some fatherly figure, I beleive an Uncle character was mentioned would encourage him to do something and by the end of the film he would join mi6.

Is there any truth to this? What's curious is that Charlie Higson's (much) Young(er) Bond had a father figure in his uncle who, despite discouraging James from becoming a spy, played an active role in it.