13 replies to this topic

#1 HellIsHere

HellIsHere

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

I was thinking about the pre-title for Bond 23 and I came up with an idea about Bond killing Guy Haynes at his estate during a fox hunting contest. A controversial but clever down-to-earth cat and mouse chase, with lots of horses, brits dressing impeccably, violence and old Hollywood glamour.

#2 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

Bond is MI6 and doesn't do domestic stuff. That's Scotland Yard, no?

Only in TWINE does Bond come close to killing within England and even then, Cigar Girl blows herself up.

#3 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

Bond is MI6 and doesn't do domestic stuff. That's Scotland Yard, no?

MI5. I suppose, in Bond terms, it would depend on whether there was an international angle to it, though. Like the golf scene in Goldfinger, or whatever.

#4 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

Yes I like that idea. I wrote a novel (unpublished) that has a brush with fox hunting. I overlaid a fox hunt with a hunt for two character through woods.

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:00 PM

It would be a brilliant idea. I would want it to be quite, Forster-esque though. Bond chasing Haines round his estate, intercut with the fox hunt. When the dogs bring the fox down, Bond kills him.

#6 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

And this notion would get past the British censors at which point?

It works on paper, but morally would be steered well away from.

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

Also, illegal (yes, I know there's a general flouting of this ban but, still - illegal).

I suppose if it looked like a fox hunt but it was gradually revealed to be a manhunt, and was all about some weird subculture of the privileged hunting people down, then that might be entertaining. Not that murder is any more legal, mind.

#8 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

Also, illegal (yes, I know there's a general flouting of this ban but, still - illegal).

I suppose if it looked like a fox hunt but it was gradually revealed to be a manhunt, and was all about some weird subculture of the privileged hunting people down, then that might be entertaining. Not that murder is any more legal, mind.

You´ve got something there Jim. I was rooting for the comeback of the Fleming bizarre and sinister, that would really be an approach to it :(

#9 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

You´ve got something there Jim. I was rooting for the comeback of the Fleming bizarre and sinister, that would really be an approach to it :(

CORRINE's death in MOONRAKER anyone....?

But I like the notion of a sick game.

#10 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

That would have been a good plot idea for an episode of The Avengers.

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

Yes; I have a nagging feeling that it probably was.

And it's been done in Octopussy anyway. Although it wasn't really a "twist" as such.

#12 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

Well if done Bond would escape, meaning the fox would get away with it.

#13 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

Yes; I have a nagging feeling that it probably was.

The Emma Peel episode Silent Dust I believe

#14 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

This sounds like a great plot element for a Craig film. Having a "most dangerous game" scenario in a Bond film, especially if it's done in a style similar to what Forster did with some segments of QUANTUM OF SOLACE, then I would definitely be interested in seeing something like that on screen.