99 replies to this topic

#91 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

Bond threw the Anchor onto the second boat and accelerated I think, causing the boat to flip over and ripping the rope off the Anchor attached to his boat. Bond could move afterwards as the Anchor detached from his boat when the 2nd boat flipped over.

This is the best explanation I've read for what happened/what the filmmakers intended to happen, and an insert shot of the rope breaking would have greatly helped. However, this theory still doesn't completely make sense because the other boat wasn't going anywhere while stuck atop Bond's boat. Apparently this will be a question for the ages.

#92 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

I saw it for the second time today and that is what happened. After getting stabbed in the neck, Slate tries to stop the bleeding there by putting his hand over the wound. Bond then grabs Slate's leg and stabs him in the femoral artery. He then grabs Slate's other hand to keep him from putting pressure on the new wound thereby allowing Slate to bleed out that much faster. Bond never takes Slate's pulse, by the way, as I have read in another thread. He just grabs Slate's palm and waits for him to die. Coldly efficient that was.

Thanks for clearing that up, Double-Oh. And yes, it was pretty darned cold. But that is Bond's job, after all. And if he hadn't killed Slate, Slate no doubt would have killed him just as brutally, and with equal lack of feeling.

Bond threw the Anchor onto the second boat and accelerated I think, causing the boat to flip over and ripping the rope off the Anchor attached to his boat. Bond could move afterwards as the Anchor detached from his boat when the 2nd boat flipped over.

This is the best explanation I've read for what happened/what the filmmakers intended to happen, and an insert shot of the rope breaking would have greatly helped. However, this theory still doesn't completely make sense because the other boat wasn't going anywhere while stuck atop Bond's boat. Apparently this will be a question for the ages.

OK, I have to see it again. :)

I've seen it four times, and I'm still missing what hooks were thrown where. It seems fairly simple: Bond throws the hook from his boat into the boat that's lodged on the back of his, then accelerates and flips the boat. (I thought the hook landed on a wooden floor, but watching again tonight, it looks like it hooks into the rubber boat's metal frame.) Still don't quite get the physics of how the boat sailed over and behind Bond's boat, but that'll do for now. Until I see it a fifth time. :(

Edited by byline, 29 November 2008 - 05:50 AM.

#93 joshkhenderson

joshkhenderson

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

So far, Sorking's theory seems to make the most sense. Throwing a hook onto the second boat and (unseen) throwing the other end of said rope (Attached to an anchor) overboard, anchoring the other boat, causing it to flip when it gets back to speed. I love the movie as a whole, but this failure annoys me, because the shot of the flipping boat is so cool, but so unexplained.

#94 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

I saw it for the second time today and that is what happened. After getting stabbed in the neck, Slate tries to stop the bleeding there by putting his hand over the wound. Bond then grabs Slate's leg and stabs him in the femoral artery. He then grabs Slate's other hand to keep him from putting pressure on the new wound thereby allowing Slate to bleed out that much faster. Bond never takes Slate's pulse, by the way, as I have read in another thread. He just grabs Slate's palm and waits for him to die. Coldly efficient that was.

Thanks for clearing that up, Double-Oh. And yes, it was pretty darned cold. But that is Bond's job, after all. And if he hadn't killed Slate, Slate no doubt would have killed him just as brutally, and with equal lack of feeling.

Oh, I'm not disputing that. I like what Bond did and it made perfect sense in the situation. I was just trying to say that he killed Slate coldly, efficiently, and in a well-executed way (no pun intended) like a government assassin would--with little extra effort--and using a little dry humor in the process. I suppose I should have added a smiley face at the end of my post to be more clear. Oh well. :(

So far, Sorking's theory seems to make the most sense. Throwing a hook onto the second boat and (unseen) throwing the other end of said rope (Attached to an anchor) overboard, anchoring the other boat, causing it to flip when it gets back to speed. I love the movie as a whole, but this failure annoys me, because the shot of the flipping boat is so cool, but so unexplained.

That, too, sounds possible except for one thing. Why would an anchor and a hook be at either end of the same rope? What purpose would that serve except for the exact situation Bond finds himself in? It's a lot more unbelievable than the gadgets Q gives Bond which help him in every mission.

#95 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

RE: the Slate killing. Yes - cold, efficient, and Bond's very specific targeting of the arteries on his body is particuarly "Flemingesque" and more brutally effective than anything Bourne has ever done. My favourite fight in the movie.

RE: the boat. A shot is missing. Has to be. I think that's the conclusion we'll be stuck with unless a filmmaker participates in an online chat and someone asks them point blank.

#96 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

RE: the Slate killing. Yes - cold, efficient, and Bond's very specific targeting of the arteries on his body is particuarly "Flemingesque" and more brutally effective than anything Bourne has ever done. My favourite fight in the movie.

One of my favorite fights in Bond. CraigBond is quickly racking up the top slots in the fight category. Go figure, huh?

RE: the boat. A shot is missing. Has to be. I think that's the conclusion we'll be stuck with unless a filmmaker participates in an online chat and someone asks them point blank.

I sadly concur.

#97 joshkhenderson

joshkhenderson

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

That, too, sounds possible except for one thing. Why would an anchor and a hook be at either end of the same rope? What purpose would that serve except for the exact situation Bond finds himself in? It's a lot more unbelievable than the gadgets Q gives Bond which help him in every mission.

I don't know why he'd have that rope, either. Seems he had a pointy anchor and a rubber Zodiac, too bad a mere punctured boat isn't as dramatic looking.

#98 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

Now that the DVD is out, has anything been added to the film to explain the boat flipping?

#99 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

Now that the DVD is out, has anything been added to the film to explain the boat flipping?

Not that I can tell. It looks the same to me as in the theatre.

#100 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

Shot missing, anchor at the other end of the rope with the hook on it. Only possible explanation as I can see it.

Editing fail.