28 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:56 AM

Three moments resonate with me at the moment: The beginning of the car chase, the end of the Boat chaes, and the Tosca sequence:

-I love how the movie opens with very little sound (not music, but sound) we cut from that beatiful shot of the lake to a close up of the Aston, intercut that with close ups of Craig, and another shot of the lake. As the music builds to a crescendo, all of a sudden the sound of the car's engine revving explodes on the soundtrack. Just thinking about that moment is giving me goose bumps, what a helleva way to open the film.

-Bond's just been through a hair raising boat chase, pulled someone away from acheiving their Solace (nice tie into the title there eh?) and hes' a little worse for the wear. As he speeds away from the scene we hear very little of the actual sound, just the music, which hints at a certain sadness.

-Then we get to the Tosca sequence, god what a great part. The whole bit with Bond listening in has been praised to death, and that's not the moment I'm discussing here. What I am discussing is after Bond makes a break for it, he runs into Greene in the hall. Both parties stop dead in their tracks, all of a sudden all sound but the Opera fades away. As we cut back and forth between Bond making a break for it. I also love the way the first sounds we hear again are Bond's gunshots as he returns fire. After this bit we're thrust back into it as Bond runs into the bodygaurd.

Those are just the three moments that stand out to me, I know there's more, but I'd have to see the film again to get a better feel for all this.

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:42 AM

I know exactly what you mean! Quantum of Solace is stunning in many ways. I absoloutly adore the silent restraunt shootout. It's just so cool, one of the most artistic scenes in any Bond movie.

Kudos to Forster for making this very artistic and utterly amazing James Bond film. :(

#3 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

Three moments resonate with me at the moment: The beginning of the car chase, the end of the Boat chaes, and the Tosca sequence:

-I love how the movie opens with very little sound (not music, but sound) we cut from that beatiful shot of the lake to a close up of the Aston, intercut that with close ups of Craig, and another shot of the lake. As the music builds to a crescendo, all of a sudden the sound of the car's engine revving explodes on the soundtrack. Just thinking about that moment is giving me goose bumps, what a helleva way to open the film.

-Bond's just been through a hair raising boat chase, pulled someone away from acheiving their Solace (nice tie into the title there eh?) and hes' a little worse for the wear. As he speeds away from the scene we hear very little of the actual sound, just the music, which hints at a certain sadness.

-Then we get to the Tosca sequence, god what a great part. The whole bit with Bond listening in has been praised to death, and that's not the moment I'm discussing here. What I am discussing is after Bond makes a break for it, he runs into Greene in the hall. Both parties stop dead in their tracks, all of a sudden all sound but the Opera fades away. As we cut back and forth between Bond making a break for it. I also love the way the first sounds we hear again are Bond's gunshots as he returns fire. After this bit we're thrust back into it as Bond runs into the bodygaurd.

Those are just the three moments that stand out to me, I know there's more, but I'd have to see the film again to get a better feel for all this.

Awwwww, hell, yes! You picked my three favorite moments as well. Just wonderful.

I guess these are kind of a litmus test. If you get the intention of these scenes you will get and like the movie. If you don´t, you will hate it.

#4 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

The sound design is fantastic and certainly deserving of an oscar.

One thing I particularly like - the sound of Bond changing gears in the Aston. Just a small touch, but a wonderfully effective one in the impressionistic masterpiece that is the PTS

#5 The Commader

The Commader

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

The sound in Quantum is better than Royale. It's dirty fighting music.

#6 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:56 PM

Definitely picked some of the best scenes for me! And the way they used sound was part of the reason they stood out. I also like how when Bond is fighting Slate there's only the sound of the two men fighting. It's very raw.

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

I remembered another one I found interesting too. When Bond and Camille are driving out to the desert the mood is very melancholy. Mathis has just been killed and Bond is mourning in his own way.

#8 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

-I love how the movie opens with very little sound (not music, but sound) we cut from that beatiful shot of the lake to a close up of the Aston, intercut that with close ups of Craig, and another shot of the lake. As the music builds to a crescendo, all of a sudden the sound of the car's engine revving explodes on the soundtrack.

-Bond's just been through a hair raising boat chase...As he speeds away from the scene we hear very little of the actual sound, just the music, which hints at a certain sadness.

-Then we get to the Tosca sequence, god what a great part...

...What I am discussing is after Bond makes a break for it, he runs into Greene in the hall. Both parties stop dead in their tracks, all of a sudden all sound but the Opera fades away...

Yes JimmyBond! Bang on!

We have moments of great beauty in the film. All three you mention come to my mind also.

Q0S is an audio-visual feast. A work of art if there ever was one in the action/adventure genre!

:(

#9 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

The faint sound of a child crying as Bond shields Camille from the flames in the Perla de las Dunas was another interesting movie. Effectively a childhood flashback entirely in audio form.

#10 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

Those are also three of my favorite parts of the film. They get my heart racing the same way the CR PTS and the CR ending did (and sometimes still do).

What I am discussing is after Bond makes a break for it, he runs into Greene in the hall. Both parties stop dead in their tracks, all of a sudden all sound but the Opera fades away.

That scene seems both extremely long and yet not nearly long enough, both in a good way. I love it.

#11 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

Those are also three of my favorite parts of the film. They get my heart racing the same way the CR PTS and the CR ending did (and sometimes still do).

What I am discussing is after Bond makes a break for it, he runs into Greene in the hall. Both parties stop dead in their tracks, all of a sudden all sound but the Opera fades away.

That scene seems both extremely long and yet not nearly long enough, both in a good way. I love it.

What I love most about this scene, is that in any other Bond film the shoot out would be this big bombastic affair. I can just imagine a scene like this in the Brosnan film, loud machine gun firing, with the Bond theme blasting as loud as can be.

In QoS the music is the real star of this sequence, and it works really well. Also, thought I'd bring this up here, but I do believe this is the first Bond film in quite a while where the music isnt obscured by the sound effects :(

#12 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

I think that moment you so eloquently described, JimmyBond, is - to me - the crowning sequence of the Bond canon. I've seen the movie four times and that 2 minute stretch, with Puccini and then silence and killing, sent chills each time.

It's a thing of mesmeric beauty preceeded by one hell of a David Arnold que ("Night At The Opera").

#13 Marquis

Marquis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

I think that moment you so eloquently described, JimmyBond, is - to me - the crowning sequence of the Bond canon. I've seen the movie four times and that 2 minute stretch, with Puccini and then silence and killing, sent chills each time.

It's a thing of mesmeric beauty preceeded by one hell of a David Arnold que ("Night At The Opera").

I couldn't agree more chaps - it's a truly breathtaking scene that ranks as one of the greatest Bondian moments ever filmed.

#14 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

That scene made a huge impression on not only myself, but my sister. She loved it and she does not care for Bond films really. My sister prefers smaller art house films usually period pieces. She only has a passing interest in Bond as it kills time and she gets movie popcorn if she comes along with me. QOS I'd dare say has won her over. Just the other day she was highly recommending it to our mother.

#15 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

Night At The Opera just might be the best piece of Bond music since Moonraker.

#16 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

Yeah Night at the opera....was good.

#17 007Travis

007Travis

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:05 AM

I think the use of sounds was fantastic. As everyone else is saying Tosca, enough said. Probably my favorite moment.

Also, no use of sound. I believe it is when Bond is fighting with Slate and there is no music or anything. Just the raw sounds of the two of them fighting for life. I liked that as well with no dramatic music.

#18 muldersgun

muldersgun

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:52 PM

I agree on everything that's been said. Just saw the movie tonight and loved it. I loved what Forster has done and I think this is the best score Arnold has done for Bond. I could almost forgive him for Die Another Day.

Puccini + Bond = Heaven

I love Forster's use of silence, he uses sound so well in the flow and pacing of the film.

Personally I a little dissappointed with the some of the negative rap QOS has got, personally I think I might actually like it more than CR.

I think people didn't pay enough to these smaller moments and little nuances in the film. Stuff that makes you realise just how much Bond has progressed to this point.

#19 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

Thought I'd see if anyone would want to comment in this thread now that the DVD is just around the corner.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

I agree, the sound design in QOS is excellent.

#21 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

Me too.
As well as the aforementioned, the Mr Slate fight is aurally brutal.

#22 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

Last time I saw the movie was around November, but if I recall correctly the scene of Bond and Camille driving out to the dessert (before they get the plane) is just a really beautiful sequence. The sound is all but quiet with only the melancholly music filling the soundtrack.

#23 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

Despite my reservations about the film as a whole, I also liked the sound a lot. I was a little surprised it didn't earn an Oscar nod. Regardless, I can't wait to watch it again on Blu-Ray with top notch sound mixing.

#24 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Just like I thought with this film - the more time will pass, the more people will come to appreciate it. Its so different, that you have to get used to it at first and then finally, all these moments start kicking in and make you realize just how much thought is in this film..

#25 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

Just like I thought with this film - the more time will pass, the more people will come to appreciate it. Its so different, that you have to get used to it at first and then finally, all these moments start kicking in and make you realize just how much thought is in this film..

Well, only time will tell. I've seen it 4 times and it's still a middle of the pack Bond film for me.

#26 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

Forster really made the sound and music guys work on QOS. He got a Bond score that I honestly didn't know David Arnold was capable of delivering. Again, Forster is really the only Bond director to have been so creative with the overall mise en scene since Lewis Gilbert.

The sound crew of QOS btw was the exact same team as CR, so it just goes to show the impact a director can have. That's not to say that CR isn't anything but robust in the sound department (it's a perfect mix for the film at hand), just that it doesn't exactly explore the creative possibilities like QOS does.

#27 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Totally agree, its the best work Arnold has ever done, beautiful.

#28 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:42 AM

After having viewed it again on DVD, I believe the Tosca sequence is my favorite sequence. Not only in this film but from the entire Bond series, the shoot out in the restaraunt that continues into the kitchen is just beautiful.

I know that Forster probably won't return (I wouldnt expect him to) but I hope that whoever the next director is will be capable of giving us as interesting sequences as the Tosca sequence in this film.

#29 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Even though there are a fair number of complaints about the "flash editing" of this film, I also find, upon viewing it again on DVD, what I felt in the theatre: that there is a musicality to the editing. There's very much a rhythmic ebb and flow to the scenes, and the music and sound serve to heighten that musicality. The more I watch "Quantum of Solace," the more I find to love.