Reading into the Movie

8 replies to this topic

#1 The*SPY*

The*SPY*

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:33 AM

As usual, I invite a bunch of friend sto opening night and a follow up post-movie martini party at my home afterwards "Bond and Bonding". One friend is a movie nut and his take on things are very interesting. Although I disagree with him, he felt teh whole movie was Bond's falling into 'the dark side" while I felt Bond was truly committed by duty and that his killings were reactionary to the moment versus an outright kill (the only non-defensive kill I remember is when he kills the colonel to avenge Mathis's death). He loved the opening titles, saying the sand represented the unstable ground that Bond was walking on.

Jokingly I asked him about the scene where Greene shows up at Perla De Las Dunas eating an apple. Does the apple represnet the world and Greene taking a bite of it represent Quantum taking another piece of the world? He said no, that it represented that Greene had bit off more than he could chew with Bond's involvement.

Please tell me that my friend is nuts on all accounts.

#2 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:42 AM

Please tell me that my friend is nuts on all accounts.

That might be the core of it. :(

A very warm welcome to CBn. :)

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:59 AM

As usual, I invite a bunch of friend sto opening night and a follow up post-movie martini party at my home afterwards "Bond and Bonding". One friend is a movie nut and his take on things are very interesting. Although I disagree with him, he felt teh whole movie was Bond's falling into 'the dark side" while I felt Bond was truly committed by duty and that his killings were reactionary to the moment versus an outright kill (the only non-defensive kill I remember is when he kills the colonel to avenge Mathis's death). He loved the opening titles, saying the sand represented the unstable ground that Bond was walking on.

I agree with you on this bit. The whole point of the film was that Bond slowly realized that he would gain nothing by killing people. This is not more apparent than in the end after Camille kills the General and Greene quips: "Looks like you've lost another one!" Bond then chooses not to kill Greene...and ultimately Yusef as well. This is very different from the Bond at the start of the film who killed without hesitation.

Jokingly I asked him about the scene where Greene shows up at Perla De Las Dunas eating an apple. Does the apple represnet the world and Greene taking a bite of it represent Quantum taking another piece of the world? He said no, that it represented that Greene had bit off more than he could chew with Bond's involvement.

Perhaps not intended, but a beatiful read into that bit. I wouldnt put it past Forster to do something like this.

#4 JackWade

JackWade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

Anyone notice that during the bit where Bond and Camille are being pursued by the guy on the bike that a truck carrying coffins has an accident? I think that had some pretty obvious meaning to it.

And for those of you really stretching for symbolism, the Greene eating the apple thing just might have some kind of allusion to the serpent tempting Eve in the Bible. Maybe a little farfetched but hey, anything's possible.

#5 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

Anyone notice that during the bit where Bond and Camille are being pursued by the guy on the bike that a truck carrying coffins has an accident? I think that had some pretty obvious meaning to it.

And for those of you really stretching for symbolism, the Greene eating the apple thing just might have some kind of allusion to the serpent tempting Eve in the Bible. Maybe a little farfetched but hey, anything's possible.

Yeah the coffins reminded me of Live and let Die for some reason. Maybe it's just me. :(

The apple part I don't know. Both you and The*SPY* put forward good theories.

#6 The*SPY*

The*SPY*

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:54 AM

I once read somewhere that coffins appear in the movies as some kind of tribute, but not sure to who. I know Connery was a one time coffin polisher, but that makes no sense.
Here are the coffins that I recall:
Thunderball (PTS Bouvier's coffin)
Diamonds are Forever (Slumber's crematorium)
Live and Let Die (New Orleans scene and Baron Samedi's "demise")
Moonraker (Coffin on boat in Venice canal)

It was the first thingthat came to mind when I saw the coffins in QofS.

#7 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:05 AM

I even appreciate the shot of Camille's eyes looking [from our perspective] in the directions that Greene is simultaneously speaking during in his speech to Medrano about the consequences of backing out. Juxtaposition. Amazing.

#8 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

Perhaps not intended, but a beatiful read into that bit. I wouldnt put it past Forster to do something like this.

If I remember, the apple is green, isn't it? So, as he eats it and the green colour of the apple disappears, it represents Greene dropping his facade as an environmentalist, revealing what's been underneath the whole time. And this is the very scene that we more or less get fully clued in as to what Greene is really up to. Hmm! :(

#9 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:14 AM

If I remember, the apple is green, isn't it? So, as he eats it and the green colour of the apple disappears, it represents Greene dropping his facade as an environmentalist, revealing what's been underneath the whole time. And this is the very scene that we more or less get fully clued in as to what Greene is really up to. Hmm! :(

See? This is precisely what movies are supposed to do! Raise questions and invite each viewer to come up with their own answers. Call it silly, this discussion over an apple-- I think it's exciting to wonder if it was a metaphor for this or that. And it could be either. The movie doesn't answer that. And it's not supposed to.

To quote Apollo Creed: "Be a thinker. Not a stinker."