This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Bring back Marc Forster! Whatever it takes!

74 replies to this topic

#31 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

I've had enough with drama directors for a while. They should try to find someone who is comfortable with megabig filmmaking like Bond. A hardcore actiondirector!

Maybe Stuart Baird. "Executive Decision" and "U.S. Marshals" are both decent actionthrillers. And he has a lot of experience from editing (like Hunt and Glen).

#32 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

Yeah but how much more awesome was The Dark Knight compared to Batman Begins? Same director. :(

Sure. The issue isn't whether Forster would improve the next time out (maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't), but rather that I don't want Forster's style to dominate over the Craig era. I want a new, exciting vision for Bond from a new, exciting director.

Me too.

Ideally, I'd like a Marc Forster type, but even more of a risk on Eon's part than Forster was (and, truthfully, Forster wasn't really much of a risk at all). Someone even artier, more "offbeat", more of an auteur (although, again, Forster's rep in this regard is hugely overstated) and dare I say it but an even better director.

My top pick would probably be Alejandro González Iñárritu, after his magnificent BABEL, but I guess he's a rather unrealistic choice, even in this Brave New Era For Bond™.

The director I think Eon may have in mind is Mira Nair. No inside knowledge whatsoever on that one, merely a very strong gut feeling.

But, anyway, there are plenty of good directors out there. Leave Forster be, he's done.

#33 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

He didn't write QOS so he doesn't have total control and yet he still made a great movie.He's proven himself to me. Another pint of Forster lager please.

That's case for any Bond film director. I am just saying he didn't deliver the goods as well as he should have. He should made the film far less frantic.

I didn't find the film frantic at all. I thought the pacing of this movie was fantastic.

#34 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

I'd be happy to see him back, but I equally wouldn't mind them going for another director.

#35 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

No, no, no, no!

I DO NOT want Marc Foster back as a Bond director. I don't care how similar his style is to Paul Greengrass. I don't want him back. I would rather have Martin Campbell back.

Hell, I don't even like Paul Greengrass as a director for the Bourne movies. I tolerated "BOURNE SUPREMACY", because I liked the screenplay and Matt Damon's acting. But I hated Greengrass' s direction.

It's bad enough that Greengrass is coming back to helm the 4th Jason Bourne movie. Bring Marc Forster back for the 23rd James Bond will really make me scream in frustration.

I don't want that man back for the 23rd movie.

#36 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

Loved Mark Forster and I don´t want him back. I would really like if all Daniel´s films were quite different from each other. I´d love to see Martin coming back for the last one :(

#37 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

I'm all for Forster coming back as long as someone is brought on board to help out with the editing process. I thought that Forster brought some great stylistic elements to the film, but the way the action sequences were edited was just terrible.

#38 mister-white

mister-white

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

Don't care much for what Forster did. QoS was only an okay Bond film, nothing special like CR was. Just promote someone like Paul Haggis to the role of director. I'm now thinking, with their credits at the end (as "additional voices") that they might be looking at either Alfonso Cuaron or Guillermo Del Toro (even though I think both are quite busy for the foreseeable future, although that could change easily).

#39 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

I can't believe what I'm reading. I thought Forster did a confusing, jumbled up job. I was missing Martin Campbell badly during the opening car chase. I'd rather have Tony Scott, who was one of the finalists for QOS.

#40 Paul Scrabo

Paul Scrabo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

God bless you for liking his work, but I though Forster did an awful job along with the editing team of making QOS a Bond film that will appear dated very quickly.
I heard that the stunt crew did an exceptional job on this Bond. Wish the filmmakers would have shown it to me.
Paul

#41 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

my only problem with Guimo Del Toro uis he did Blade 2 and Blade 2 was ok at best.

Edited by Quantumofsolace007, 17 November 2008 - 09:57 PM.

#42 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

I'm now thinking, with their credits at the end (as "additional voices") that they might be looking at either Alfonso Cuaron or Guillermo Del Toro (even though I think both are quite busy for the foreseeable future, although that could change easily).

Del Toro's out of the picture. He's booked through 2017, and in immediate future will be devoting the next four years to THE HOBBIT. Cuaron does have projects booked, but it looks flexible.

#43 Painted Gold

Painted Gold

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

I would be willing to give him another shot as there were some great bits but overall I didn't like his direction of QofS. He makes very self indulgent, art house films that I am sure film students love to debate at length but this is not what I want from a Bond film.

I agree with the previous posters that the film was jumbled and confusing in places and a lot of things went unexplained. The action scenes and the rest of the film felt completely disjointed (probably cos they were directed by two different people).

I don't expect to be spoon fed the plot, a little mystery is a good thing. I also don't expect to walk out with so many unanswered questions as to what or why things happened.

Those people that do admit to not getting bits of the film seem to be made fun of by some people on these forums as if we somehow don't appreciate Forster's subtle creative genius or whatever.

#44 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:44 AM

He makes very self indulgent, art house films that I am sure film students love to debate at length but this is not what I want from a Bond film.

Marc Forster doesn't make "art house" movies. Stuff like FINDING NEVERLAND, STRANGER THAN FICTION, and THE KITE RUNNER is extremely mainstream.

#45 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:37 AM

Harms,

Look at it from the point of view of some of these fans: Bond films are meant to follow a rigid formula, not take risks etc. etc. (this is an exageration, don't bite my head off).

Now we get a Bond film that dares to be different, and people are calling it too "art-housy."

#46 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:49 AM

Maybe Stuart Baird. "Executive Decision" and "U.S. Marshals" are both decent actionthrillers. And he has a lot of experience from editing (like Hunt and Glen).

That would being go straight back to the generic action directors of the Brosnan era, no thanks.

#47 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:53 AM

That would being go straight back to the generic action directors of the Brosnan era, no thanks.

Agreed. Hopefully they'll bring in another "art-house" director like Forster for Bond 23. I really loved the more artistic touches that Forster brought to QoS, and would like to see similar things appear in future Bond films.

#48 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:15 AM

That's not taking away the fact that the man is a very skilled editor. His work on CR is beautiful. But yeah, let's not forget he killed Star Trek :(

#49 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:22 AM

Please don't bring back Forster, not even in the far future, I don't think he's bad directot but he's not really good for the EON series.

I think if we got to find someone to blame for the flaws of this entry, the main name is Marc Forster, with his aspiration to make an art house OO7 film. Bond movies are high quality action thrillers, but were never ment to be for art house circuits. Hence, the result it's little bit artsy (like Bourne movies, especially the ones directed by Greengrass). This aim, doesn't affect that much the drama scenes, but it does hurts the actions sequences.

In fact, what really drags down this movie are the action scenes, I even think that they are interesting in the script and in the making, but they're poorly showed in the screen, because of the bad editing, the extreme close up, shaky cam, etc, and overall because Marc Forster doesn't know how to direct action, hence he delegates pretty much of his responsibility in the trendy (of Bourne fame) but incompetent, second unit director, Dan Bradley.

Edited by Mr. Arlington Beech, 19 November 2008 - 12:46 AM.

#50 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

my only problem with Guimo Del Toro uis he did Blade 2 and Blade 2 was ok at best.

What? Balde 2 was the best in the trilogy and as a film it's pretty damn good.

As for Forster being the best Bond director, nope. That title is still held by Terrence Young and doesn't look to shift any time soon. I'd like for Campbell to return. The producers should just pay him what he wants (within reason of course). One of the good things about QoS criticisms is, that the majority of them all show their disdain for the editing and shakey cam, here's hoping they wont return for Bond 23.

#51 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

What? Balde 2 was the best in the trilogy and as a film it's pretty damn good.

As for Forster being the best Bond director, nope. That title is still held by Terrence Young and doesn't look to shift any time soon. I'd like for Campbell to return. The producers should just pay him what he wants (within reason of course). One of the good things about QoS criticisms is, that the majority of them all show their disdain for the editing and shakey cam, here's hoping they wont return for Bond 23.

Sorry, Forster makes Campbell look like a hack. The editing is fast - but always clear. Shakycam is used sparingly, where we are in the car with Bond, and only adds to the verisimilutude. I'm pretty sure Peter Hunt - the man who invented fast cutting - would have approved.

#52 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

The editing is fast - but always clear. Shakycam is used sparingly, where we are in the car with Bond, and only adds to the verisimilutude. I'm pretty sure Peter Hunt - the man who invented fast cutting - would have approved.

I noticed that. Everyone complains about the steadicam work, but I've noticed it only happens when it's mounted in or on the vehicle Bond is using, and shakes the most when he takes a hit, like when the lorry punctures his door.

#53 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

Sorry, Forster makes Campbell look like a hack.

It seems like every Bond-director is a hack these days. It's really amazing that the series could've survied for so many years without Forster...

The editing is fast - but always clear.

"Always" is a bold statement. I missed several plotpoints the first time I saw it because the editing was so confusing.

Shakycam is used sparingly, where we are in the car with Bond, and only adds to the verisimilutude.

It is used a lot. Both in the PTS and especially during the Palio chase. The chase over the rooftops and the bus-scene are full of it. So is the boatchase and the climax scene at the hotel.

#54 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

I am not too bothered about seeing Marc Forster back. I was more bothered about seeing Campbell go. And I don't think he would come back anyway, even if you offered him 10 million.

But I think EON are going in the right direction. A director of Forster's calibre is what I want for Bond 23. For a Bond film you want the best people possible, and Forster's reputation was a good one. Same goes for Haggis, they should offer him a good deal to come back for Bond 23. Maybe add some top thriller writers(of Haggis type quality) also to look at the story and to progress Bond as a character. Get directors and Editors that are proven(as in the case with Forster) on board. The actors for Qos were pretty good, so keep up the level of quality.

Perhaps Forster will come back for another hit for Bond 25/26, bit like Campbell did. But I really do doubt it. I think he just wanted to do an action/adventure type film and now move on to other projects that interest him more. Thats the impression I get.

For the record, yes, Terence Young and Lewis Gilbert are still my favourite Bond directors, I guess they may be considered Hacks by some people(Although I think Gilbert has an Oscar nomination for Alfie, BAFTA for Educating Rita etc) So they are pretty good Hacks if that is the case. :(

Edited by BoogieBond, 18 November 2008 - 01:08 PM.

#55 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

I'm pretty sure he won't be back anytime soon. Most of the film indicates that it could be good to have him back. But perhaps with a new 2nd assistant director. I honestly think that Bond shouldn't really copy Bourne when it comes to shaky camera. Don't want too many movies using that specific style of shooting action.

The opening was just beautiful as were some of the desert shots. Forster can obviously get the best out of actors, so in that regard his services should/could be used in the future.

#56 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

Over at MI6 forums there insisting on the return of either Apted or Spottiswood. I sh** you not.

#57 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Over at MI6 forums there insisting on the return of either Apted or Spottiswood. I sh** you not.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

#58 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

Sorry, Forster makes Campbell look like a hack. The editing is fast - but always clear. Shakycam is used sparingly, where we are in the car with Bond, and only adds to the verisimilutude. I'm pretty sure Peter Hunt - the man who invented fast cutting - would have approved.

A hack ? Campbell still beats the hell out of him. I agree there was no shaky cam but the shots were far too tight and cutting is too quick. Campbell knew how to do exploit an action scene as well as having visual flair.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

I rather have a dried up terd direct then Apted or Spottiswood

#59 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

Honestly he brought something extra to QOS that Campbell didn't but he didn't deliver as well as he should have.

He delivered in spades for me. It's the best-directed Bond film bar none for me. Another Forster Bond is fine by me.

Sorry, Forster makes Campbell look like a hack.

I wouldn't go that far; the series owes Campbell a debt. But I agree with you that Peter Hunt would approve. In fact, I wrote in my review that Forster directs QoS like Peter Hunt on speed.

#60 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

He delivered in spades for me. It's the best-directed Bond film bar none for me. Another Forster Bond is fine by me.

Best directed ? Please. Forster can't compare to Young, Hunt, or Campbell.