This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

We all know how, but where and when was...

13 replies to this topic

#1 Qbranchtech

Qbranchtech

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:26 AM

...Fields killed?

Let's do a bit of CSI here...

1) Her last scene alive was tripping Elvis down the stairs at the party
2) She left Bond a note at the hotel front desk to tell him to "Run" the morning after the party

In the hotel suite:
3) M mentioned that her lungs are filled with oil
4) She was found nude but covered with oil with no open wounds
5) There was no sign of serious (or any) struggle in the suite
6) No clear indication that any of Fields' clothing or accessories was in the suite

So how did Fields went from all dolled up in the party to getting drowned in oil in the nude?

Here's my theory:

Fields left the party after Bond and Camille left and unable to locate Mathis. She noticed that she was followed, so she left a note for Bond at the front desk on her way in. Before she can make her exit, Quantum (possibly with Elvis as the lead) got into her suite and knocked Fields unconscious. They exit the back door and drove her to an oil storage facility where they dumped her in the oil nude. After she has drowned, they recovered her body, still with oil dripping in a body bag. By early afternoon, The Quantum gang came back to hotel through the back door, made it into the suite draping her dead body on the bed as seen on film. The Quantum gang quickly exited the hotel with the body bag afterwards.

Then M and her team entered the suite late in the afternoon, followed by Bond in early evening...

Any ideas?

#2 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:46 AM

I think that sounds more or less like what happened. Obviously she was not drowned in the hotel room as there was very little mess, and somebody would have had to drag a large oil drum in and out of the hotel. I suspect it was Elvis who did the deed!

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:57 AM

I suspect it was Elvis who did the deed!

That would be my guess as well.

#4 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:07 AM

Sounds logical. I can buy that. (I too would assume it was Elvis who did the deed.)

#5 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

Sounds on par with what I was thinking. I wondered if she'd tried to make a run for it herself after finding Bond was not at the hotel and perhaps realising she was being followed by Quantum men.

And yeah I totally peg Elvis as being in on it. He may not have come up with the plan, but I'm sure he relished it after being humiliated.

#6 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

Sounds about right.

#7 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

I think this passes the Occam's razor test. :) :(

#8 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

Perfectly acceptable explanation. I think it's actually incredibly cool the way it's presented in the film. It's just a phenomenal death, much akin to Miss Eaton in GF. Knowing the specifics (or rather, being spoon-fed them in the film) would have just taken away from the cool-factor.

#9 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

Yup!

#10 Qbranchtech

Qbranchtech

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

Knowing the specifics (or rather, being spoon-fed them in the film) would have just taken away from the cool-factor.

Sort of true, it was a super cool death for sure, but I kinda disagree. Unlike in GF where the time lapse between Bond being knocked unconscious and him waking up to find Jill painted gold was a couple hours at most, the gap in QoS is almost a day. I was a bit shocked that Bond didn't even think about Fields after what happened to Mathis! Especially after Green's statement saying anything Bond touches just witter and die? He made no phone calls, or bothered to go back to try to save her...There was just so much info peppered into the dialogue and scenes to ignore what happened to Fields in the intervening hours prior to the discovery of her death. Besides it would have given Gemma a little bit more screen time alive that's for sure... :(

#11 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:49 PM

Bond absolutely should have checked up on Fields, that's the whole point of the scene immediately after with M, as I took it. The whole "love 'em and leave 'em" thing comes to a head as Bond completely forgets about Fields and goes off to do his thing with Camille in the plane, desert, etc. He just never even anticipates she's in danger, and that's the hard lesson he sort of learns from M. I know M is making a larger point about death in Bond's wake, etc., but I always took that scene as a bit of a reprimand for using Fields for his own benefit and then not ensuring her safety or thinking about her in any manner afterward.

Sort of a "not calling the day after" equivalent.

#12 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

A crazy thought -
Maybe Greene oversaw the dunking of Fields in oil. Hence Bond gives a "death by motor oil" to Greene. Not that Greene looked that hands on though...

#13 Qbranchtech

Qbranchtech

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

2 crazier thoughts:

1) Someone would have the ready dirty job of stripping Fields before throwing her into the oil? Who would (or wouldn't) want to do that?

2) Before Elvis throws her into the oil, did he say to the unconscious (or semi-unconscious) Fields: "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!"?

#14 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

He probably steals her dress. To wear in private.