#1 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:26 AM

SPOLERS

I thought Quantum of Solace was a fantastic movie. I do, however, have a question regarding Mathis' fate.

When Bond's vehicle was stopped by the Bolivian police, he opened the back and found Mathis there, injured and bloody. The police drew their pistols, and Bond reached into the car and helped Mathis into the street. The police behaved aggressively, and it seemed that Bond deliberately held Mathis in front of him as if to use his body as a shield. Seconds later, the police opened fire, and Mathis was mortally wounded.

I'd be interested in your views. Did Bond use Mathis as a human shield to protect himself? I want to say no, but it appeared that way. What do you think?

#2 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:45 AM

No, I think he was just holding him up in shock; who wouldn't be surprised to find Giancarlo Gianinni unconscious in the back of your car? :(

#3 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:04 AM

I'd agree that it was accidental. I thought Bond was simply trying to support Mathis, not expecting the police would open fire.

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:04 AM

Bond was told to get Mathis out of the car. Bond picked Mathis up and turned around to face the police who pretty much started to shoot instantly. Bond didn't even have a chance to react. Mathis was a human shield by accident only. That is all.

#5 cramer

cramer

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:25 AM

I think that the policeman's purpose was to kill Mathis. Once Bond pulled him out, the policeman that was farthest from Bond screamed that we was moving (I assume referring to the shock that Mathis was still alive) and began to shoot him. (Possibly to take care of Mathis and Bond as the colonel had ordered the police to do)

#6 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:28 AM

SPOLERS
Did Bond use Mathis as a human shield to protect himself?

Absolutely not. It all happens rather quickly, but Bond does not use Mathis as a human shield. The police were looking for an excuse to execute both men, and they opened fire at just the wrong moment for Mathis. Ultimately, Bond was lucky to be behind his body but it certainly wasn't done deliberately.

#7 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:25 AM

Agreed with pretty much what everyone has already mentioned already. As cool can collected as Bond can be, I think he can be forgiven in this case for acting on an emotional impulse when taking Mathis out of the truck and holding him in front of the police. For a split second, I don't think he was thinking about the police anymore. Unfortunately for Mathis and Bond, the officers had already taken the decision that they would open fire.

#8 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:26 AM

I think that the policeman's purpose was to kill Mathis. Once Bond pulled him out, the policeman that was farthest from Bond screamed that we was moving (I assume referring to the shock that Mathis was still alive) and began to shoot him. (Possibly to take care of Mathis and Bond as the colonel had ordered the police to do)

This is what I think happened.

Mathis' death really pisses me off and is one of a handful things that keep me from really liking this movie. Mathis is Bond's best friend in Europe and appears in a number of the Bond novels. He DOES NOT DIE. Granted, we are talking about the film series here, but it should never have happened. Yes, some of Bond's friends die (see Kerim Bey) but Fleming wrote it that way. He did not write it that Mathis dies. Not even the continuation authors have done it. I'd rather he not have come back. :(

And to top it off, the scene is stupid. To set Bond up for murder, the cops (or whoever gave them Mathis' body to plant in Bond's car) surely would have made certain that Mathis was dead before doing so. To have him stir and "come alive" when the trunk is open, just to be shot so that he can have a final heartfelt ending with Bond is sappy and not believable. It would have been much better had Mathis been captured and beaten and then have Bond rescue him at the end. This way 007 could have saved his good friend (and stayed true to Fleming) unlike what he was able to with Vesper (and Fields), and consequently gotten another quantum of solace from his efforts.

#9 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

Mathis' death really pisses me off and is one of a handful things that keep me from really liking this movie. Mathis is Bond's best friend in Europe and appears in a number of the Bond novels. He DOES NOT DIE. Granted, we are talking about the film series here, but it should never have happened. Yes, some of Bond's friends die (see Kerim Bey) but Fleming wrote it that way. He did not write it that Mathis dies. Not even the continuation authors have done it.

Doesn't Mathis die in NEVER DREAM OF DYING or is he just blinded and tortured or whatever?

#10 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:26 AM

Mathis' death really pisses me off and is one of a handful things that keep me from really liking this movie. Mathis is Bond's best friend in Europe and appears in a number of the Bond novels. He DOES NOT DIE. Granted, we are talking about the film series here, but it should never have happened. Yes, some of Bond's friends die (see Kerim Bey) but Fleming wrote it that way. He did not write it that Mathis dies. Not even the continuation authors have done it.

Doesn't Mathis die in NEVER DREAM OF DYING or is he just blinded and tortured or whatever?

Just tortured and blinded, which makes him, like Felix Leiter, a rather select member of The Close Friend Of Bond's Who Survives One Of His Missions Despite Suffering A Handicapping Injury Club.

#11 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

Just tortured and blinded, which makes him, like Felix Leiter, a rather select member of The Close Friend Of Bond's Who Survives One Of His Missions Despite Suffering A Handicapping Injury Club.

That Jim Bond is a good guy to know.

#12 the other fellow

the other fellow

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

Definitely a shield by accident.

I thought this was one of the best(if not the best scene in the film) very powerful yet not sentimental.

#13 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:32 PM

Carlos betrayed Mathis, rememeber he told him 'My whole police department is for you' or something like that?

I think he asked them to kill him, and that's why Bond in Perla de las Dunas killed Carlos saying 'You and I had a mutual friend!' *shot*

Now I feel bad for being named Carlos lol

#14 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

Mathis is Bond's best friend in Europe and appears in a number of the Bond novels. He DOES NOT DIE.

There is a line between novel and film which mustn’t be crossed, where deviations from the source become heresy, but the line is placed differently for every fan. For me, the fate of Mathis is not sacred. He can die in my book, even if he doesn’t in Ian’s.

And to top it off, the scene is stupid. To set Bond up for murder, the cops (or whoever gave them Mathis' body to plant in Bond's car) surely would have made certain that Mathis was dead before doing so. To have him stir and "come alive" when the trunk is open, just to be shot so that he can have a final heartfelt ending with Bond is sappy and not believable. It would have been much better had Mathis been captured and beaten and then have Bond rescue him at the end. This way 007 could have saved his good friend (and stayed true to Fleming) unlike what he was able to with Vesper (and Fields), and consequently gotten another quantum of solace from his efforts.

I think ‘stupid’ is an exaggeration. (And I’m no stranger to exaggeration! :( ) I can very easily imagine corrupt and incompetent police who have been told to do away with Mathis and plant his body in Bond’s trunk rushing the kill and winding up with a critically wounded and unconscious victim instead.

Not saying that your way isn’t serviceable, but I do genuinely like the fact that Mathis was killed. It doesn’t disturb my values of Bond orthodoxy at all.