13 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:07 PM

How did Bond manage to get to Tamalone if M cancelled his passports & Credit Cards? He was at Bregenz, Austria at the time, so how on earth did he get to Italy?

He couldn't have had a fake credit card, since he asks Mathis to supply him with some when he gets to Tamalone. I wouln't think he had a big wad of cash stored away either.

#2 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:18 PM

How did Bond manage to get to Tamalone if M cancelled his passports & Credit Cards? He was at Bregenz, Austria at the time, so how on earth did he get to Italy?

He couldn't have had a fake credit card, since he asks Mathis to supply him with some when he gets to Tamalone. I wouln't think he had a big wad of cash stored away either.

I thought about that too. I suppose it's not too far for Bond to drive there, no passport required,and he 's supposed to have at least some cash with him.

#3 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

You're probably right, pgram.
By the way, I asked this myself too, but thought it was in the end a nice touch not to insist on how he managed to get there. After all, he's a spy, and travelling unnoticed without money even in enemy territory should be part of his training. Therefore, no need to insist, it's supposed to be easy as ABC for him.

PS: by the way, it's Talamone :(

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

I thought about that too. I suppose it's not too far for Bond to drive there, no passport required,and he 's supposed to have at least some cash with him.

I guess that´s it. The other thing is:

How did Bond get to Bregenz as fast as Greene? Must have been one fast plane.

#5 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

An ally is the strongest possibillity.

And we don't even see Bond taking off to Bregenz. Mistake charged in Forster!

#6 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

Nah, that´s not a mistake - Forster directs elliptically. We don´t have to see Bond taking off or arriving at Bregenz. We know that when we see him at Bregenz.

#7 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

The other thing is:

How did Bond get to Bregenz as fast as Greene? Must have been one fast plane.

M gives orders to "clear a charter for 007" or something like that. We don't know of what nature this "charter" is, but I could imagine that the British Secret Service has got something faster at hand than a Learjet. Also, it's quite a distance from Haiti to Bregenz, so there's plenty of time to catch up.

We don't see him board the plane to Miami in pursuit of Dimitrios in CR, and I find it a far bigger stretch in credibility that 007 manages to be at the Body Worlds exhibition right on time.

#8 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

We don't see him board the plane to Miami in pursuit of Dimitrios in CR, and I find it a far bigger stretch in credibility that 007 manages to be at the Body Worlds exhibition right on time.

I don't have a problem with the credibility there - it's made clear that Dimitrios is on the last flight, so Bond was definitely on the same flight, and tailed the guy from the airport. He arrives as his quarry arrives.

But I did think - until seeing the script - that there were shots missing from the original cut, that the joins between sequences were trimmed. Apparently not! (And Campbell confirms this on the commentary.) Bond and Dimitrios have already faced-off over a card table - he would have had to keep out of sight on the plane and at the airport. A pretty tense situation. But I guess it would have been awfully repetitive to do two airport-stalking sequences almost back to back!

#9 Bradley De La Cloche

Bradley De La Cloche

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

I dunno...maybe he hitch-hiked all the way to Italy? :(

#10 Se7en

Se7en

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

Bond told the lady at the desk that she is going to receive a phone call and if she can say Bond is going to ( i don't remember the place). I'm not sure who called but this then gave Bond clearance to travel by plane.

Edited by Se7en, 16 November 2008 - 06:32 PM.

#11 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

Bond told the lady at the desk that she is going to receive a phone call and if she can say Bond is going to ( i don't remember the place). I'm not sure who called but this then gave Bond clearance to travel by plane.

It was Cairo. It doesn't necessarily mean that Bond travelled by plane because of this though. It was merely an attempt to temporarily wrong-foot MI6.

#12 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

Mmmmh, that's not how I understand this scene. I think that MI6 is about to call, since Bond has just tried to use a credit card that has been cancelled, so they're going to know where he is. He asks the receptionnist to tell he's going to Cairo (if memory serves), which obviously he doesn't, so my take is he wanted to put MO6 on a false lead, searching for him in Egypt. Then he used whatever transportation available to get to Mathis, but certainly not a plane, 'cause then he would need a passport, even for a flight from Bregenz to Italy.

#13 Se7en

Se7en

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

Mmmmh, that's not how I understand this scene. I think that MI6 is about to call, since Bond has just tried to use a credit card that has been cancelled, so they're going to know where he is. He asks the receptionnist to tell he's going to Cairo (if memory serves), which obviously he doesn't, so my take is he wanted to put MO6 on a false lead, searching for him in Egypt. Then he used whatever transportation available to get to Mathis, but certainly not a plane, 'cause then he would need a passport, even for a flight from Bregenz to Italy.

Oh i see. Thanks for clearing that up.

#14 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:48 PM

Bond certainly has some cash on himself, a personal credit card, or a Swiss bank account.

Rent a car (he may even still have that Volvo he used on his arrival) and drive to Italy. Bregenz - Talamone is roughly 770 km, not that far.