This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who was the guy that Bond "killed" at the Opera?

55 replies to this topic

#31 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

Yes, again, I think there's some serious division over QoS because there's some serious, highly thoughtful plot development going on in QoS. No offense to anyone, but if you're a thinker, the plot and various plot points are glaringly obvious and hit you like a brick between the eyes, but if subtlety and analytical thinking are not your strong point, you may be confused and fail to see what's going on and therefore be turned off by the movie. Some actually haven't been able to pick up on such points like how Bond knew Camille was to be killed or how the motorbike flipped and did a wheelie. I'm just scratching my head thinking, "You've got to be kidding, does someone need to explain this???" Please, no offense, just exercise that gray matter and QoS is clear as a bell.

So people who didn't like it are stupid? Or perhaps you're not clever enough to realise tha it's bad, no? Not saying that you are, just that you leave yourself open when you start saying stuff like that.
Was it you who was saying that Bond pops the clutch on the bike causing it to flip? Because I'm not sure that's right- he's standing on the wrong side. I just took it as him giving it gas. So even from that it would seem it's not entirely clear as to what's happened and even those calling others stupid for not understanding aren't actually 100% clear on it. How did he cause the other plane to crash, for instance? I have an explanation worked out for it- do you? How does the other boat flip? I know what I think must have happened, but do our ideas agree? If even simple action stuff isn't communicated effectively you've got to wonder if it's really the audience's fault.

This whole guy Bond kills thing is yet another undercooked, unexplored, quickly swept under the carpet moment. It's a film which feels rushed and thrown together full of half-formed ideas and concepts for action scenes which are nearly good but needed more work.

No, I don't think they're stupid. Note that I never once said they are stupid, just that they were not as attentive as they should be and that this film requires real thought. Even the smartest of us can fail to pay attention at times. Most people do not go into a movie with their brains working hard, they relax and take it in. This is a movie that requires thinking to truly enjoy it for what it is. In one post I was careful to point out that I understand people disliking the film for other reasons, but several of the objections have been over plot points that seem obvious to a lot of us, but seemed to have escaped the notice of several others. Also, some people think more analytically than others, that doesn't mean they're stupid.

It's hard not to take the implication that people who don't think this movie is very well worked-out or resolved aren't 'thinkers'. That's insulting: your opinion isn't the only correct one, not need to insult those who don't agree with it.

No, I didn't say Bond popped the clutch. However, it is clear that the movie makers intended to imply that when Bond knocked the other killer off the motorcycle, his strength did not cause the bike to lurch, but rather something mechanical in the bike caused it to take off and flip up briefly. And it didn't go that far. I thought the move was brilliant.

And yet you don't actually know what happened? I thought you were a thinker with an analytical mind?

Regarding the plane, with some skillful flying Bond got the other plane underneath him and was forcing him down into the rocks, the other pilot got out from under the larger plane at the last moment, but too late, he veered off and crashed.

You missed the bit with the airspeed dial, then? Having had to think about this after the film (yes, I can think!) as it was so poorly communicated, the only explanation is that Bond's plane is capable of flying at slower speeds before it stalls- Bond slows down the other plane to a speed at which it cannot make tight turns; the other pilot panics and has to speed up in order to make the turn but Bond's larger plane makes it. But of course, your subtle and analtytical mind was just happy with 'he got forced down onto the rocks'.

The small boat flips because it is anchored to whatever heavy item Bond threw into the water at the other end of the rope. I'm actually surprised more people haven't brought this up, because this one is more problematic, but not problematic enough to make this great film a bad film.

Well, us analytical thinkers would come up with the only logical explanation, which is that Bond reaches into the baddies' boat which has mounted his and throws their anchor into the water, causing their boat to flip when it gains purchase. But, as with most plot points and emotional moments in this film, that's poorly communicated and requires the audience to fill in the gaps afterwards. I'm not even sure that's the explantion the filmmakers were intending (I certainly didn't see him reach up into the other boat): again, as with many of the other important character moments and plot points, fans have had to make up the explanation themselves because the film gives so little to work with.
It's like a Rorschach film; everyone sees want they want to see, but there's actually nothing there.

And, I thought the pacing was great, everything was concluded to my satisfaction at least.

Yes, obviously. Those of us who really like to think weren't satisfied by it all. :(

Sorry if this all comes across as a little harsh, Daddio, but I hope you can see how your implication that people who don't agree with are not 'thinkers' is insulting, no matter how many times you write 'no offence'. Hope to see you around.

#32 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

In TWINE, he was a member of the submarine crew - I caught the ending of TWINE on TV when I got home from watching QoS at the cinema and he was literally the first person to be seen on the screen. I thought that I was just seeing things, especially as an IMDb research brought no results.

He did uncredited stuntwork on GE, TND and TWINE, credited stuntwork on DAD, and now uncredited again in QoS (not certain on the last one, could well be that he's in the credits - but he's not on IMDb). Fellow's name is Derek Lea, btw.

Funnily, I heard that this scene was rehearsed with Marvin Campbell, the guy who doubled for freerunner Sebastien Foucan in CR. Not exactly a striking resemblance :)

Thanks Stromberg!
As a side note, I'm surprised to learn that Sebastien Foucan was doubled in CR. If so, what was the point of hiring a well-known and very able freerunner as an actor? :(

#33 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

As a side note, I'm surprised to learn that Sebastien Foucan was doubled in CR. If so, what was the point of hiring a well-known and very able freerunner as an actor? :(

Even a highly trained freerunner can't perform a stunt like the crane jump. Also the insurance company didn't allow Foucan to do some of his stunts by himself.

#34 Bonita

Bonita

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

I think that what likely happened is:

1. Police arrive at the opera.
2. They find Special Branch agent dead on the ground, having fallen and been shot. Hard to tell at that point if he was shot first or fell first.
3. Eyewitness reports tell them there was this madman shooting up the place running toward the roof access, followed by dead Special Branch agent.

With that info, Tanner makes his initial report.

keep dancing...

#35 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

Some actually haven't been able to pick up on such points like how Bond knew Camille was to be killed or how the motorbike flipped and did a wheelie. I'm just scratching my head thinking, "You've got to be kidding, does someone need to explain this???" Please, no offense, just exercise that gray matter and QoS is clear as a bell.

I confess to being a bit confused by that initially and then having to think it through later on. Hubby didn't like the fact that Bond just let Camille go rather than questioning her further. He thinks it's a bit of a leap, whereas I look at it as him just letting her lead him to Greene. Different strokes, and all.

But you know, if folks can't work out the meaning of the title (and think it's stupid), then that's probably a pretty clear indicator that they may not like the film.

#36 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:22 PM

Let's get back on that guy falling off the balcony. So anyone who have the trailer in 1080p, can confirm if he is one of the two guys Greene sends after Bond, or not ?
Look like to me Bond shoots one in the cafeteria / restaurant / coffee shop whatever it is, and wait for the second at the door on the roof.

#37 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:29 AM

I'd like to know why Tanner tells M that Bond threw the guy off the roof, and shot him twice.

He has a CCTV picture taken a little while after the agents death on his screen.

How would Tanner have known he was thrown off the building, had he not seen it from CCTV footage/shots? We have to assume that he had seen more footage than just the one shot of the agent dead on the road?

In which case, surely he'd have seen that Bond may have let him fall, but that one of Greene's men actually shot him and not Bond.

If I remember correctly, M later informs Bond that she knows he threw a guy off the roof and shot him. I kept expecting Bond to admit, he tossed him off the roof but didn't shoot him, somebody else must have--probably Greene. Maybe it's not that important in the overall scheme of things, but still I would think it was only natural.

...who was he working for? I'm not clear on that... it wasn't one of Greene's guys...

The last time I saw him he was aboard RENARD's submarine in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH.

Oh boy. I thought I'd started seeing things.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. :(

I noticed him too straightaway, although I don't know his name. The next George Leech?

#38 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:52 AM

Oh, M says he threw the same guy off the roof ? Then I still wonder why Bond doesn't react and just take it. He obviously knows he didn't kill THIS guy.

#39 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

Great moment. After epic silence, the guy storms out the door to the rooftop, only for Bond to be poke a PPK at his head. Bond repeatedly asks who he works for, when he refuses, Bond knocks him off the roof onto Greene's car. He got him good. Then the sucker is shot dead by his own men.

#40 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

Great moment. After epic silence, the guy storms out the door to the rooftop, only for Bond to be poke a PPK at his head. Bond repeatedly asks who he works for, when he refuses, Bond knocks him off the roof onto Greene's car. He got him good. Then the sucker is shot dead by his own men.

Great scene! I love how Greene shields his face saying "Then he shouldn't be looking at me." right before the guy is dispatched.

#41 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:29 PM

Great scene! I love how Greene shields his face saying "Then he shouldn't be looking at me." right before the guy is dispatched.

Yep. He combines both snobbish and childish at the same time. I really enjoyed Mathieu Almaric's performance.

#42 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

Oh, M says he threw the same guy off the roof ? Then I still wonder why Bond doesn't react and just take it. He obviously knows he didn't kill THIS guy.

Bond did throw the guy off the roof, hence why he didn't react because he knew it was true. Plus, he walked off before he was shot. So Bond probably did think he'd killed him.

#43 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

Bond did throw the guy off the roof, hence why he didn't react because he knew it was true. Plus, he walked off before he was shot. So Bond probably did think he'd killed him.

Yes, but he didn't shoot him, which is why Bond should have protested his innocence in the killing.

#44 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

Yes, but he didn't shoot him, which is why Bond should have protested his innocence in the killing.

True, but he knew he set up the guy to be killed, so the end result was the same.

#45 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

OK, but this doesn't answer the OP question.

WHERE

DOES

THIS

GUY

COMES

FROM ?

If he wasn't one of the two Greene guys (which Greene dialogue make us think), then what the hell is he doing going after Bond ? Does Bond kills the two Greene guys, then deal with this one, or does he just shoot one, and wait for this one which is the second of the Greene guys ? (editing was too fast, so I didn't register, even after watching the movie the second time). If so, then WHY DOESN'T GREENE OR HIS MEN RECOGNISE HIM AS ONE OF THEM ?

Is it just me, or like the whole movie, NOTHING MAKE SENSE ?

#46 Paul Scrabo

Paul Scrabo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

Thanks Haggis, Purvis and Wade for a script that has everyone wondering and guessing what happens in the film. Great screenplay! :(

Edited by Paul Scrabo, 17 November 2008 - 08:26 PM.

#47 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

OK, but this doesn't answer the OP question.

WHERE

DOES

THIS

GUY

COMES

FROM ?

If he wasn't one of the two Greene guys (which Greene dialogue make us think), then what the hell is he doing going after Bond ? Does Bond kills the two Greene guys, then deal with this one, or does he just shoot one, and wait for this one which is the second of the Greene guys ? (editing was too fast, so I didn't register, even after watching the movie the second time). If so, then WHY DOESN'T GREENE OR HIS MEN RECOGNISE HIM AS ONE OF THEM ?

Is it just me, or like the whole movie, NOTHING MAKE SENSE ?

He
is
the
bodyguard
for
HAINES
who
Bond
bothered
when
he
infiltrated
the
opera
audience
meeting
and
as
Bond
caused
bloodshed
and
upset
backstage
the
bodyguard
(who
was
Special
Service
i.e.
untouchable
for
Bond
and
MI6)
went
afterhim.

Oh I can't keep this up... GREENE didn't know him as GREENE doesn't know the faces of the people he was meeting let alone their bodyguards and aides.

Am I right? Tell me otherwise.

#48 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

The British minister was on his way out before Bond got into a shoot out. The Special Branch agent's first job is to protect the minister, so he should not have went after Bond at all.

Upon seeing the movie, I thought the special branch agent was ALSO a Quantum member. This would be why he went out to protect Quanutm (and kill Bond) instead of just leaving with the minister.

Edited by Mike00spy, 17 November 2008 - 10:37 PM.

#49 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:23 PM

The guy was a Special Branch agent, that is a "good guy", just like Bond, but who was working for a "bad guy" (Haines) who is also an official (British politician). The Special Branch guy was just doing the government job he had been assigned to do, i.e. protecting an official.
IMO, this scene hasn't been emphasized enough. In this sequence, Bond does something we have never seen him doing: he kills a "good guy" (of course, he is covered by the script, since it's not "technicaly" him who kills the Special Branch agent, but still...). Yes, one can argue that he doesn't know exactly who the man is when he throws him off the roof in cold blood (and one can argue that this in itself is a problem), but I think it is an important moment in the building up of his psychological profile during QoS. It's certainly the pivot moment, when he stops killing first and thinking after.

Yes, again, I think there's some serious division over QoS because there's some serious, highly thoughtful plot development going on in QoS. No offense to anyone, but if you're a thinker, the plot and various plot points are glaringly obvious and hit you like a brick between the eyes, but if subtlety and analytical thinking are not your strong point, you may be confused and fail to see what's going on and therefore be turned off by the movie. Some actually haven't been able to pick up on such points like how Bond knew Camille was to be killed or how the motorbike flipped and did a wheelie. I'm just scratching my head thinking, "You've got to be kidding, does someone need to explain this???" Please, no offense, just exercise that gray matter and QoS is clear as a bell.

I second that!

#50 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

The British minister was on his way out before Bond got into a shoot out. The Special Branch agent's first job is to protect the minister, so he should not have went after Bond at all.

Upon seeing the movie, I thought the special branch agent was ALSO a Quantum member. This would be why he went out to protect Quanutm (and kill Bond) instead of just leaving with the minister.

No one ever said that the Special Branch agent was the only Special Branch agent in charge of protecting Guy Haines. But if anything, he should have identified himself to Bond rather than say 'Piss off'. Fantastic scene and even greater when Bond's next contact is Mathis, and is told how it is difficult to tell the difference between the bad guys and the good guys. This film is light years away from the juvenile garbage of the Brosnan years.

#51 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:37 PM

No one ever said that the Special Branch agent was the only Special Branch agent in charge of protecting Guy Haines.

Point on!

But if anything, he should have identified himself to Bond rather than say 'Piss off'.

That's what I thought first, but come to think of it, imagine Bond in the same situation as this guy. My opinion is that he would say exactly the same thing!

#52 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:26 AM

I went back to see the movie last night again with a friend, and the guy is definetely one of the two guys Greene sends to chase Bond.

Therefore, the dialogue in the car and his shooting makes no sense. it's all edited fast so that we don't have the time to realise or investigate the blunder.

#53 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

I went back to see the movie last night again with a friend, and the guy is definetely one of the two guys Greene sends to chase Bond.

Therefore, the dialogue in the car and his shooting makes no sense. it's all edited fast so that we don't have the time to realise or investigate the blunder.

Yes. You don't like editing. I think we've got that.

For a film you don't like Stamper, you ain't half going to see it a lot of times.

#54 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

Indeed. And he's not the only "hater" who appears to have racked up quite a few cinema viewings of QUANTUM.

I myself liked the film (didn't find it flawless, mind, but then again I did very much enjoy it), yet have only been to see it once (and I didn't even see it until after its opening weekend). As they say, go figure.

#55 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:36 AM

It's a pretty easy thing to get.

There's this guy, you have no idea who he is, confronting the people that are surrounding your boss that you are supposed to guard thanks to your duty as a British agent working for the British government. Their bodyguards go after him and you go after him too (because you're gung ho) then he pulls a gun and some shooting begins. The guy is firing in a crowded place, you want to be a hero. He gets the drop on you, says "Who do you work for?" You aren't going to say because you think he's a terrorist or a lunatic.

Guy throws you off a building. You get up, a little worse for wear and then get gunned down by a guy that was part of the group you were traveling with; completely unaware what the Hell is going on.

Of course, if it was Sean's Bond. He would have said this.

Bond: Well, I did throw him off a building but I didn't shoot him. That must have been Greene's men.

Cold and callous but would have given M all the information she needed to know.

#56 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

Cold and callous but would have given M all the information she needed to know.

It also would have shortened the movie considerably. :(