No replies to this topic

#1 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

Several long time members here have captured the film in words better than I ever could - but I did want to make a few observations that I think are relevant. 1) Forster in my opinion showed a level of restraint in this film that I think is perfect as the followup to CR. This could have been a 2 hour plus extravaganza that tried to capture Bond's emotional spiral, with a new love interest thrown in to add a layer of complexity, but I think by keeping the love interest at arms-length, making it short, and at breakneck speed it best captured what Bond was experiencing first-hand in his sprint to find the organization behind Vesper's betrayal. 2) Forster's tip of the hat to the old films - the Ken Adam-like sets and globe-trotting travelog was the perfect vision for this film. I especially liked the Goldfingeresque Fort Knox look that Perla De Las Dunas had - plus several sets with round ceilings with cross-hatched support. Even the main titles had tips to past films - like You Only Live Twice. For somebody that has been alive through all the whole arsenal of films - it was a pure delight to watch.

All in all, I liked this film a lot. I think the approach of keeping it short and at breakneck speed was perfect. And I truly think Daniel Craig - a Bond for all ages - has set himself and the producers up for far greater success in the future. The next step is unlimited - and hopefully they will find a director with a vision to take it even farther to the next level. 2011 can't get here fast enough as far as I'm concerned.