24 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

Just waking up from a very late night (and hung over from just one martini?) but I just wanted to chime in and say that I thought Quantum of Solace was a terrific, modern, badass Bond flick that delivered for me bigtime. An excellent follow-up to CR. I'm baffled by the negative reviews and savage drubbing from some fans. Interestingly, I think QOS was in many ways the most classic Bond film we've had in ages, but that gets into a full review which I may or may not write after I shake my one martini hangover. Suffice to say for now; I dug it! :(

#2 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

Interestingly, I think QOS was in many ways the most classic Bond film we've had in ages.

My feeling as well. Looking forward to your review.

#3 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:44 PM

I can't wait to read your full review, Zen.

#4 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:48 PM

I completely agree. Mentioned in my review. The secret to the Craig Bond films is not that they're frighteningly new - they're just very cleverly disguised classic Bond. QoS deviates a little farther, but the elements are still there in spades.

#5 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

Forget the hangover Zencat and work through the pain!

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it Zen. :(

I'm really happy that the more established CBn members seem to love it.

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

good to hear you liked it zen...I'm going at noon-ish.Some of these reviews scare me to death("worst...ever").

But then again...Zen very rarely has a negative thing to say about 007. :(

#8 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

Just waking up from a very late night (and hung over from just one martini?) but I just wanted to chime in and say that I thought Quantum of Solace was a terrific, modern, badass Bond flick that delivered for me bigtime. An excellent follow-up to CR. I'm baffled by the negative reviews and savage drubbing from some fans. Interestingly, I think QOS was in many ways the most classic Bond film we've had in ages, but that gets into a full review which I may or may not write after I shake my one martini hangover. Suffice to say for now; I dug it! :(

I am glad to hear that another person's views I respect likes the film. I went and saw it again last night (fourth or fifth viewing) and I still don't understand why people hate it so much.

#9 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

The Craig films exist in a world before Goldfinger and carry on a modernized tradition of Dr. No and From Russia with Love. I thought it was terrific.

#10 Bradley De La Cloche

Bradley De La Cloche

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

Glad you liked it, zencat. :) :(

#11 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Out of all the CBN regulars, I was looking forward to Zencat's opinion most of all.
His gushing opinion of DAD convinced me he was a fan after my own heart.

#12 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

I couldn't agree more. I am more than impressed, and will probably go more in depth later as well. BADASS describes the film well. I loved every frame, and will soon see it again (I even didn't mind the new location gunbarrel).

#13 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

Excellent - a Bond fan with taste :)

#14 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Pleased and relieved you liked it. This movie has predictably claimed many "fan" scalps but also, alas, some more unpredicable ones. It really is a vote splitter.
Looking forward to the full review.

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

'zencat likes a Bond product.'

As morning follows night, and as annual as Christmas, so too does zen like a Bond release.

Some things are just meant to be relied upon - I can rest easy now.

Cheers fella.

#16 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:54 PM

I am glad to hear that another person's views I respect likes the film. I went and saw it again last night (fourth or fifth viewing) and I still don't understand why people hate it so much.

I'm with both of you. I thought it was terrific. I don't get the hate. I really don't. I honestly feel like I watched a completely different movie than everyone else. Seriously, I'm completely confused and baffled about some of the reviews I'm reading. :)

#17 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:45 PM

Ditto. Looking forward to your take on it, zencat.

#18 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

Glad you enjoyed it, my friend. :(

#19 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

Waiting on your review with baited breath. :)...;)...:(...:)

Ok, just waiting.

#20 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

I'm stunned by the negative reviews, now that I've seen the movie. QoS is a fantastic film.

#21 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:52 PM

Out of all the CBN regulars, I was looking forward to Zencat's opinion most of all.
His gushing opinion of DAD convinced me he was a fan after my own heart.

:( Definitely a classic thread!

Glad you liked it John, looking forward to the full review.

#22 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:57 PM

Hooray!! Glad you loved it Zencat!! I too thought it was badass!! :(

#23 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

Do you think it was perhaps "The Best Bond Film EVER TM"???

#24 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:05 AM

Glad you liked it, zen. Can't wait for your full review.

#25 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:24 AM

Glad you liked it as much as I did. Looking forward to your review.