No replies to this topic

#1 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:26 AM

Yummy! I thought the film was beatiful and I guarantee it will be controversial around here--Forster and company took the Bond mold and shook it up; almost to the point of it breaking. I am a firm, firm, firm (!) fan of this film.

I'll start with the not so good: The shaky-cam needs to be left at home. HATED it. How much better would the early chase scene have been if we could focus on Mitchell/Bond for a couple of seconds?--It may have been reminiscent of the crane sequence in CR--but because of the shaky-cam, I've got to give CR the advantage on that score.

Elvis' bowl cut. Yick.

The touch screen stuff is kind of strange. Tanner touching the desk and pulling things this way and that. You really had to be paying attention.

Not real sure on the revenge angle. It seemed less 'rage-filled' than LTK; and Bond stays with MI6 for the majority of the movie--but still wonder a little bit about Bond seeking revenge.

Now for the good:

The look of the film. Very interesting. More gritty than almost any Bond film--yet, I found that it harkened back to the other films. The horse race seemed similar in style to the meeting at Marc Ange Draco's in OHMSS. Tosca reminded me of the Pyramid show in TSWLM. And, of course, it shared a lot of its look with CR.

Dominic Greene is a very Fleming-like figure. No deformities this time, no stereotypical henchmen, no mad scientist, Dr. Evil kind of figure. I found Greene very refreshing. It is also nice that Bond actually discovers Greene in this film, instead of getting the dossier on the bad guy and instructions from M to find out if there is anything going on.

Scene at Tosca is very well done. I liked the interplay between the opera and the action. I loved the set. Bond's unmasking of Quantum. Just a very slick sequence--and Forster seemed to be lovingly focusing on Tosca. Nice touch.

Mathis' death scene is the most moving I've ever seen in a Bond film. The acting there is top notch. The writing about forgiveness--just beautiful.

We actually get some Felix in this film! About time! In all the other films, Bond is the star around which all the planets rotate. We actually get to see Felix sans Bond--hear his cynicism, see him protect Bond. In the running for my favorite Felix Leiter scene of all time must be Felix finishing his beer in the bar while all hell breaks loose around him as the CIA raids the place. Funny, quirky, and cocky. Just grand. This movie leaps into the forefront for the best portrayal of Leiter.

My biggest complaint about Bond girls in film is no backstory. Think about the books and how interesting the females are there and how fascinating their back stories--Solitare, Honey Rider, Tiffany Case, Vivienne Michel. Contrast that with how Jinx, Holly Goodhead or Pam Bouvier were written. Camille, thank God, has a compelling back story and it even helps to move the plot along! Amazing! Camille is great--two fascination Bond girls in a row--Vesper and now Camille? It's like Christmas at my house (not Jones, either)!

The obligatory end of the bad guys is also quite solid. Camille does what she needs to with the General. Bond takes a slightly different tack with Greene. It's just written very well--much as I can see Fleming writing it--echoes of Thunderball here.

The final scene--the snow, the necklace, M--is just beautifully shot, very tense and everything that a good Bond film should be.

I think the filmakers have captured, as well as they ever have on screen, Fleming's Bond. The whole story, along with the exceptional casting, makes this film stand out. I am sure others will disagree with my positive review and I am sure that many will cite its departure from the 'formula.' Yet, for me, that's exactly where the creative edge is. And I see the filmakers reaching for that growing edge.

I will give it a 9 out of 10.