4 replies to this topic

#1 jawinn

jawinn

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:00 AM

***********MANY SPOILERS**********************

I’ve been a lurker on this forum for years, but never felt the need to post. With the release of QOS I can stay silent no more.

I saw QOS twice today (11/14, US release) back to back. I wanted to make sure I caught everything before I rendered a judgment. To me Bond films are like Presidents (or PMs for my friends across the pond); you have to give them years of study before you can really rank them against their fellow films.

First my tastes in Bonds to establish a baseline. My favorite actor is Sean. My favorite film is YOLT. Other notable favorites are TSWLM (which I am watch as I write this), TMWGG, T, and CR. Overall they are like children to me, I love them all. That said I will outline my stance on QOS.

This will probably go down as one of my least favorite Bonds, right in line with FYEO. This film has so many problems with it that I found it difficult to watch the second time around.

Here’s the good. The opening chase is well done. Fast, brutal, and engaging. The firefight at the opera was inspired. Also having Bond go up against a SPECTER/SMERSH adversary organization was very appealing since I’ve wanted to see this for years (be careful what you wish for). Lastly the fight scenes, while somewhat poorly shot are brutal and reminiscent of those in OHMSS.

Here’s the bad.

Mr. White, I’m sorry did the actor (Jesper Christensen) have a stroke between CR and QOS? This accent is completely different in this movie. Yes he had been through a bit of trauma before he spoke his first line; but he sounded NOTHING like he did in CR. This was the first thing that bothered me.

Bond is using a PPK. Why? Bond hasn’t used a PPK since TND. Four films later MI6 decides to give him an inferior side arm? Why? No chance. Bond’s weapons should get better not worse.

No toying with the enemy. Where is the preliminary meeting/game with the henchman or villain? No cards, golf, quail hunting, or tennis (for those of you who have read Devil May Care). Not to be found. Bond doesn’t toy with his prey for one second before dispatching them.

Speaking of henchmen, where were they? Where was the clever death of them? No Mr. Kill, Oddjob, Jaws, Le Chiffre’s ugly girl friend with poison….nothing.

Bond girls. God-awful. Olga Kurylenko is not only unattractive but she has what looks to be an obvious burn or scar on her back. This is very obvious in several scenes. Why? There is never any explanation for this. Plus the one he beds is so out of place it is laughable. MI6 sends a (and this was made clear in the film) desk jockey to bring in one of their most highly trained agents. No. This is simply absurd. Bond’s jump to the airplane in the opening sequence of GE is more believable. Any yes I understand we all have to suspend disbelief with Bond, but this was too much of a stretch. Plus, the use of the Goldfinger, gold paint switched for oil, pose was blasphemous.

Felix Leiter. Please don’t tell me the only connection we Yanks have to Bond is somehow turning on him. They allude to Felix getting rid of his boss (pretty well played as a :( by David Harbour) at the end but there is no guarantee he’s still on Bond’s side. I hope I am VERY wrong on this one.

Mathieu Amalric. Oh did he have promise in this role. He was brilliant in Munich; but alas no. His character (and I can’t make up my mind if this is b/c of a bad script or bad acting) is totally forgettable. Where is the weird tick, the cat, or the obsession with fish? There is nothing distinguishing about him whatsoever. I was hugely disappointed with him. The film gives you really no reason to hate him. His evil plot while original is pretty lame.

Overall this Bond felt like filler between the brilliantly made CR and 23, which will be filled with huge revelations about Quantum. It better be because this one was so full of holes and so divergent from the Bond we all know and love that I feel the fans are owed something special the next time around.

#2 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:09 AM

Olga Kurylenko is not only unattractive but she has what looks to be an obvious burn or scar on her back. This is very obvious in several scenes. Why? There is never any explanation for this.

The burn is from the fire (started by Medrano after he killed her family) that the character was in when she was a child.

#3 DrNoNo

DrNoNo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

B Plus, the use of the Goldfinger, gold paint switched for oil, pose was blasphemous.

I agree

#4 bendertherobot

bendertherobot

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:16 PM

Olga Kurylenko is not only unattractive but she has what looks to be an obvious burn or scar on her back. This is very obvious in several scenes. Why? There is never any explanation for this.

The burn is from the fire (started by Medrano after he killed her family) that the character was in when she was a child.

See, this sort of thing bugs me. If people miss the stuff that IS explained how can they pass judgment on the stuff that is not?

#5 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

This will probably go down as one of my least favorite Bonds, right in line with FYEO.

I almost stopped reading right there.

Mr. White, I’m sorry did the actor (Jesper Christensen) have a stroke between CR and QOS? This accent is completely different in this movie. Yes he had been through a bit of trauma before he spoke his first line; but he sounded NOTHING like he did in CR.

He been shot and then tossed around in a trunk as you said...would probably raise your voice a bit too. But I'll give you this one because I wasn't really paying attention to his accent.

Bond is using a PPK. Why? Bond hasn’t used a PPK since TND. Four films later MI6 decides to give him an inferior side arm? Why? No chance. Bond’s weapons should get better not worse.

I don't even know where to begin here. This is a new continuity so what Pierce did TND, TWINE and DAD is not relevant.

PPK is easier to carry especially under a variety of outfits and if you don't have a proper holster. Coming from someone who carries a SIG I can tell you that I have to take serious care with what I wear and how I carry it.

Furthermore, 'better' is a subjective term. As a close quarters self-defense weapon, a PPK could work just fine. I'm sorry he doesn't carry a big scary gold-plated Desert Eagle or something else 'cool'.

No toying with the enemy. Where is the preliminary meeting/game with the henchman or villain? No cards, golf, quail hunting, or tennis (for those of you who have read Devil May Care). Not to be found. Bond doesn’t toy with his prey for one second before dispatching them.

The Tosca sequence.

Speaking of henchmen, where were they? Where was the clever death of them? No Mr. Kill, Oddjob, Jaws, Le Chiffre’s ugly girl friend with poison….nothing.

So? Does every film have to be a caricature to be good?

Bond girls. God-awful. Olga Kurylenko is not only unattractive but she has what looks to be an obvious burn or scar on her back. This is very obvious in several scenes. Why? There is never any explanation for this. Plus the one he beds is so out of place it is laughable. MI6 sends a (and this was made clear in the film) desk jockey to bring in one of their most highly trained agents. No. This is simply absurd.

As to Camille - it was indeed explained. If you didn't understand it, that isn't the movie's problem.

As to Fields - I don't know how to tell you this but not every consulate in the world has a death squad on hand to apprehend rogue agents.

Felix Leiter. Please don’t tell me the only connection we Yanks have to Bond is somehow turning on him. They allude to Felix getting rid of his boss (pretty well played as a :( by David Harbour) at the end but there is no guarantee he’s still on Bond’s side. I hope I am VERY wrong on this one.

What? He gave Bond the info to bring down Greene and warned him the SWAT team was coming...what about that tells you he's not on Bond's side??

Mathieu Amalric. The film gives you really no reason to hate him.

Did you watch even watch this? I mean Medrano was easier to hate, sure, but Greene certainly wasn't lacking in evil. "Throw her overboard when you're done." And then, oh yeah, he drowned Fields in oil but I suppose you weren't counting that since it was so 'blasphemous'.

Mathieu Amalric. Where is the weird tick, the cat, or the obsession with fish? There is nothing distinguishing about him whatsoever. I was hugely disappointed with him. His evil plot while original is pretty lame.

Again, I don't see why every movie has to be a caricature to be good. It seems to me that you're making YOLT the gold standard by which all things must be judged. That's fine for you but it's a poor starting point for arguing against the quality of other Bond movies like this one or FYEO.