More rumours - Bond villain

14 replies to this topic

#1 spacebabe

spacebabe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 11:33 PM

This was in the Dail Express ( I must point out I don't usually read the Daily Express).
They quote Havers on getting the part, but also mention the (now debunked) Kevin Spacey as villian thing, so...I'm not sure.

Nigel takes a shot at being a Bond baddie.

Nigel Havers, the actor who has perfected the art of playing the upper class gent, has landed a role as a Bond villain.
The smooth talker worked his charm on Bond producer Barbara Broccoli, who has promised him that he will tangle with Pierce Brosnan in the next 007 film.
"I always wanted to play Bond but I've totally missed the boat now I'm too old" says Nigel, 51.
"Now I want to be a villain and Barbara, who is a great friend, has promised I'll be in the next film. It will be a lot of fun to play against Pierce.
Alas Havers - whose wife Polly Bloomfield has just finished a successful course of cancer treatment - won't be the lead baddie in the big budget flick, to be released in November 2002. American Beauty star Kevin Spacey has already been approached for that role.

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 10:35 PM

I haven't seen him in anything bar the Mummy & The Mummy Returns :) So I can't really comment. But now I think rumours will hot up a lot more, Tamahori has probably been signed. Now we just have to figure out which rumours are true!!

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 11:28 AM

Arnold Vosloo would make a good baddie. As well as having a formidable physical presence he's a pretty fair actor, as he showed when he took over from Liam Neeson in the two Darkman sequels, and as Lance Henrickson's henchman in that John Woo/ van Damme movie whose name escapes me.

#4 bridge

bridge

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2001 - 03:12 AM

Blue Eyes (02 Aug, 2001 11:35 p.m.):
I haven't seen him in anything bar the Mummy & The Mummy Returns :) So I can't really comment. But now I think rumours will hot up a lot more, Tamahori has probably been signed. Now we just have to figure out which rumours are true!!

same here. I have only seen him in the Mummy series. But I liked his performance.

~

Rumors are always a hard issue. *nods*

#5 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 02:27 AM

How about Brendan Gleeson? Portly Irish actor, about Brosnan's age. He played the broken-down, drunken foul-mouth Mickey Abraxis alongside Brosnan in "The Tailor of Panama" and played Lord Johnson-Johnson (I believe that's the character's name), the guy in charge of the Flesh Fair, in "A.I."; his "We are only destroying artificiality" speech from that film smacks of megalomaniac Bond villain.

BTW, I think that if Havers is being considered at all it's for the main villain. He's 51 and a friend of the producer. Sure, there have been minor villains that age and older, but something tells me we wouldn't be hearing rumors of this sort were it not in reference to the main villain (I could be totally wrong on this).

Someone suggested Joaquin Phoenix once. I didn't think much of "Gladiator", or Phoenix's performance therein. A quirkier actor would've had more fun with the role. I felt Phoenix didn't add anything to the role that wasn't already in the script, whereas another actor would've (also, he had some of the film's worst dialogue). But, he could probably play a Bond villain even so- it's not as if you have to be an A-list actor to get the job, anyway.

I've got another one- Derek Jacobi, provided they wanted an older villain.

Dave

#6 bridge

bridge

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2001 - 12:34 AM

zidler is harry right? and if so, yes, he would be a good villain.

#7 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 10:45 AM

WhitePersian (30 Jun, 2001 11:23 a.m.):
I could well imagine Nigel Havers as some sort of oily subsidiary villain (I don't mean Havers is oily, just that he could play it well)- yes he has potential

As a major babbie, how about one of the following:
FRANK LANGELLA- no
RUTGER HAUER- yes, as a henchman only
DAVID SUCHET (If he can shake off the cuddly Poirot image)- yes...he was a great villain in the movie EXECUTIVE DECISION !
ALAN RICKMAN- yes...he's a tie with Irons...brilliant in DIE HARD !
JOHN RHYS DAVIES (Not as Pushkin, though)-no...he's played so many villains that I think he's become a caricature of himself
CHARLES DANCE- yes...there's something devilish about him
RICHARD E. GRANT- as a henchman perhaps
JEREMY IRONS- yes...he ties with Rickman...his villain in DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE was brilliant !
BOB HOSKINS- not sure
JONATHON HYDE- I don't know him
Sir ANTHONY HOPKINS (But they'll need to get him soon)- no...he makes a great Hannibal Lecter but what other good villains has he played ?

Nexus here...I've made my comments above. However...what about actor IAIN GLEN who plays the villain in TOMB RAIDER ?...he's really good !...he bares a striking resemblance to Sean Bean.

#8 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 August 2001 - 09:25 PM

Jim Broadbent? Veteran British character actor, certainly capable of showy parts, his credits include "Bullets Over Broadway" (as gorging actor Warner Purcell), "Little Voice", "Topsy-Turvy" (British Academy Award nomination as Best Actor), "Bridget Jones' Diary" (unrecognizable as Bridget's father), "Moulin Rouge" (as Zidler), and later this year in Martin Scorsese's "Gangs of New York" as Boss Tweed alongside Daniel Day-Lewis' Bill "The Butcher" Poole.

Sometimes it helps to have a theatrical actor playing the villain- some of the best Bond villains have been noted as being rather theatrical.

Dave

#9 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 09:03 AM

I could well imagine Nigel Havers as some sort of oily subsidiary villain (I don't mean Havers is oily, just that he could play it well).

As a major babbie, how about one of the following:
FRANK LANGELLA
RUTGER HAUER
DAVID SUCHET (If he can shake off the cuddly Poirot image)
ALAN RICKMAN
JOHN RHYS DAVIES (Not as Pushkin, though)
CHARLES DANCE
RICHARD E. GRANT
JEREMY IRONS
BOB HOSKINS
JONATHON HYDE
Sir ANTHONY HOPKINS (But they'll need to get him soon)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 03:43 PM

Hey, Derek Jacobi is a GREAT idea! He would be fantastic!

What's the prob with Frank Langella? I've always thought he would make a good Bond villian.

#11 spacebabe

spacebabe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 05:26 PM

It's a mailing list through Yahoo Groups.
I don't think they're that great though, they report news from any source, tabloids, other sites, they've 'announced' Gerard Butler is replacing Pierce about twice. lol

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 02:57 AM

Well SpaceBabe I just posted the aritcle on the main page of the site, including the scan of the article which you so kindly sent in :) Thank you very much.

I'm very wary about this Nigel Haver's rumour. It's not the first time it's appeared on our site. The first time was way bank in September of 1999! Be sure to read my article for my thoughts on that.

If the article is correct and Haver's does know Broccoli then I say by all means look out for him in the future!

#13 spacebabe

spacebabe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 08:06 AM

Another rumoured Bond villain from DirtFish movie news.

South African actor Arnold Vosloo is in talks to be the next Bond
Baddie!

While giving an interview on the set of his new film Red Phone,
Vosloo let slip that he is sceduled to meet Bond producer/owner
Barbara Broccoli.

If talks are successful Vosloo will do battle against Pierce Brosnan
in Bond 20, Lee Tamahori will direct.

39-year-old Vosloo is best known for starring as Imhotep in The Mummy
and The Mummy Returns.

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 08:35 AM

Spacebabe, is Dirtfish a website or a magazine? I can't find them :)

I read this rumour the other days on the James Bond Newsgroup. I didn't realise it actually had some basis though.

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 07:17 AM

There are some excellent choices there White Persian. The best I'd say are:

RICHARD E. GRANT
JEREMY IRONS
BOB HOSKINS
JONATHON HYDE
Sir ANTHONY HOPKINS (But they'll need to get him soon)

I'd like to see Grant age a tad though. But of course, with the right character, that wouldn't be necessary. And Hoskins! Gosh that would be fantastic. Now there is an actor!