This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

"Nobody Does It Better" reference in QOS?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Bond

Dr. Bond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

Did Quantum of solace add another "Nobody Does It Better" reference when Bond knocks on the door to see Mathis?

In that scene, Bond knocks on the door in an unusually obnoxious way as he also ignores the metal knocker hanging on the door. The rhythm and tone of the knocks sound familiar.

There exists unmistakable references to the "Nobody Does it Better" tune in For Your Eyes Only with the keypad in Q lab, and in License To Kill with the machine gun bullets hitting the tanker truck.

If anyone else has noticed any other references to this classic Bond song, please let me know.

#2 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

QOS:
No. I don't think it's there. There was another regular poster that thought his knock was the James Bond theme. No. It's just a normal knock at the door.
Don't know about FYEO and LTK, but I would think if it is similar it is just coincidence

#3 gt007

gt007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

In FYEO there is indeed a reference to Nobody Does It Better.

In LTK, if I remember correctly, the bulets sound like the Bond theme, not Nobody Does It Better.

In QOS, I noticed the unsusual knock on the door but I don't think it's a reference to Nobody Does It Better or any other song. Maybe the knock is like a code to let Mathis know it's someone from MI6.

#4 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

In FYEO there is indeed a reference to Nobody Does It Better.

In LTK, if I remember correctly, the bulets sound like the Bond theme, not Nobody Does It Better.

In QOS, I noticed the unsusual knock on the door but I don't think it's a reference to Nobody Does It Better or any other song. Maybe the knock is like a code to let Mathis know it's someone from MI6.

The knock on the door for Mathis is not unusual. It's a normal rhythm . No code.

FYEO and LTK: I think you are imagining things, but I would be pleased to be proved wrong.

#5 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

QOS:
No. I don't think it's there. There was another regular poster that thought his knock was the James Bond theme. No. It's just a normal knock at the door.
Don't know about FYEO and LTK, but I would think if it is similar it is just coincidence

No. I remember the bullets in LICENCE TO KILL at the time and I'm sure I've read or heard that they were intended to ricochet to the Bond theme.

#6 gt007

gt007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:01 AM

The knock on the door for Mathis is not unusual. It's a normal rhythm . No code.

You may be right. It sounded unusual to me and that's why I say it might be a code.

FYEO and LTK: I think you are imagining things, but I would be pleased to be proved wrong.

No, they're there. The one in FYEO is the most obvious. Check the Q scene and you'll hear it. :(

#7 Dr. Bond

Dr. Bond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:04 AM

For Your Eyes Only - Obvious; take a listen just before they enter the identograph room; Q starts the codes and Bond finishes the last two notes of the "Nobody Does it
Better" melody

License to Kill - Subtle, but true; listen as the henchmen working for Sanchez fire machine guns at the gasoline tanker truck when Bond is riding the tanker. The bullets on the tanker ring a little tune; there are two parts: 1) nobody does it better 2) James Bone theme.

QOS: When bond knocks on the door, it is the "Nobody Does it Better" theme. Why else would he knock like that? Remember this is James Bond, he doesn't need some code to let Mathis know he is there; Bond is Bond.

Edited by Dr. Bond, 15 November 2008 - 05:05 AM.

#8 Icebreaker

Icebreaker

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:19 AM

I'm fairly sure he just bangs on the door. Nothing special.

-matthew