#1 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

:::::::::::::::SPOILERS AHEAD::::::::::::::

After QOS I´m dying to say that it would be just perfect if White turned out to be the head of Quantum.

The guy is just so creepy, and he is older and wiser (taking of the receiver out of his hear while the others just stood up and left).

IMHO it would be cool because:

1. He is one of the first bad guys we see in CR.

2. He as a ghostly like presence, always turning up in all the places: Africa, Venice, Austria, ...

3. He says "My Organization" in CR and Bond captures him at the end of the film, they have him in QOS. I mean, wouldn´t it be ironic?

4. Quantum kills every one of their rats. But White was captured, maybe he talked, but they don´t kill him.

5. Le Chiffre says "Tell them I´ll get the money", that actually destroys the possibilities of White being the Big Boss doesn´t it? But what if Quantum is a cooperative identity i.e "them".

6. Mr. White would just be so perfect as this new age sinister Blofeld.

7. He´s just a fantastic actor. Just hear that creepy laughter and the delivery of his lines, awesome.

#2 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

I read it eventhough I have not seen Q0S.

Does Mr White limp around in Quantum?

#3 MI6 Lisbon Branch

MI6 Lisbon Branch

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Yes that would be a nice idea although i would like more a character that would appear just briefly (and never fully revealed) in the next few films and maybe later in the franchise would finnally be revealed. But Mr. White definitely is creepy and a very good actor. Saudações Tugas :( !!

#4 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

I don't think we see him walk... only be dragged.

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

:::::::::::::::SPOILERS AHEAD::::::::::::::

After QOS I´m dying to say that it would be just perfect if White turned out to be the head of Quantum.

The guy is just so creepy, and he is older and wiser (taking of the receiver out of his hear while the others just stood up and left).

IMHO it would be cool because:

1. He is one of the first bad guys we see in CR.

2. He as a ghostly like presence, always turning up in all the places: Africa, Venice, Austria, ...

3. He says "My Organization" in CR and Bond captures him at the end of the film, they have him in QOS. I mean, wouldn´t it be ironic?

4. Quantum kills every one of their rats. But White was captured, maybe he talked, but they don´t kill him.

5. Le Chiffre says "Tell them I´ll get the money", that actually destroys the possibilities of White being the Big Boss doesn´t it? But what if Quantum is a cooperative identity i.e "them".

6. Mr. White would just be so perfect as this new age sinister Blofeld.

7. He´s just a fantastic actor. Just hear that creepy laughter and the delivery of his lines, awesome.

I do agree that Jesper Christensen / Mr White is interesting, and would be welcome to return for a 3rd outing. But I'm not sure I can imagine him as the head of quantum...
Some "shallow" arguments are against it:
1- he does the dirty job (killing Le Chiffre), which is usually not a feature of a CEO
2- he travels too much and follows too closely to be the real head
3- he talks about "his organization", but so do I, and I'm not the boss
More seriously, I'd prefer if Quantum hadn't one head, but was a kind of consortium, of network, à la Al-Qaeda. This would be a more contemporary approach. But anyway, Mr White, as a significant member, could still lead Bond to the top consortium, and play an important part.

For all these reasons, I would rather see Mr White as a "senior executive" (or "senior executioner") of Quantum, the one charged with dirty work, balancing the accounts and "cleaning" things. This would also explain why he wasn't killed but freed: he's head of the Quantum equivalent of "SMERSH", so his own men took care of him (and since they acted pretty fast after his capture, the real bigwigs of Quantum didn't get the time to order Mr White's execution (saved by the bell, if I may :()

#6 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

Yes, very good arguments Mkb :( I can seem him as "the cleaner" or even a "number two". I just hope they use his acting chops in the next one just like they did in CR ad QOS.

And that´s a very astute observation Vauxhall :) I hope he does limp in the next one, with a cane like Valentine´s.

So the question would be: Does Quantum have a Big Kahuna, or is it a consortium?

Edited by Sir James Moloney, 10 November 2008 - 08:19 PM.

#7 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

I don't think we see him walk... only be dragged.

Then if I were Quantum hierarchy, i'd have the cripple* eliminated.

*No disrespect to the physically challenged, but he a bad 'un!

#8 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

i created a thread simlilar to this back in march lol.

No I don't want white to be the head in fact i don't want to see or know the head till bond 24 I'd like Quantum to remain a mystery for one more film.

Btw what should Quantum mean you ask

I feel Quantum should be like Smersh a combonation of two word in antoher language that trun into Quantum.

#9 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

I feel Quantum should be like Smersh a combonation of two word in antoher language that trun into Quantum.

Good luck with finding that, because I'm pretty sure there aren't any that do tha and make sense.

#10 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:02 AM

Good luck with finding that, because I'm pretty sure there aren't any that do tha and make sense.

QUANTUM = acronym of QUANti TUMuli! (Italian for what a lot of tombs!). Quite a fitting name, isn't it? :)

or in English:
QUest for ANother TUMult

or in French (in tribute to Mr Greene :()
QUintuplés ANorexiques Têtus, Ultramodernes Méchants (= French for Quintuplet of anorexic, pigheaded, ultra-modern villains)

Ahem.. Well, I think I'd better go to bed now... :)

#11 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:20 AM

Your sarcasm is duly noted.

As for who Quantum is and how they came to be, there's a lot of stuff EON could drawn on to at least for the basis of the organisation ...

- The Phoebus Cartel, a cartel made up to control the price of lightbulbs in the early twentieth century. I think it would be interesting - and a little amusing in some ways - to see how this vast criminal business empire was born out of such humble and basic origins.
- The Majestic 12, the code-name of a secret military committee convened under President Truman to investigate the Roswell Incident. I'm not saying Bond should suddenly start having a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull affair, but that the UFO-investigation story could be an urban legend started to divert attention from the true Majestic 12.
- The Bilderberg Group, an invitation-only conference of powerful businesspeople, politicians and media barons emboriled in secrecy that many believe is actually a forum to discuss a New World Order being instigated.
- The Gemstone File, a conspiracy that suggests Greek shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis worked with the Kennedys, the mafia and the CIA to create America as a superpower through drug and oil cartels, that they also kidnapped Howard Hughes, staged the Bay of Pigs invasion and the Onassis was the driving force behind the assassination of both Kennedys.
- The Rosenholz Files, a collection of two hundred and eighty thousand documents compiled by East Germany during the Cold War that ended up in American hands during German reunification, and allegedly name top policitians from Finland as being involved in undisclosed activities.
- Low-ranking members of the Houses of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Oldenburg and Romanov (or, the British, Danish and remnants of the Russian Royal Families) conspiring to boost the influence of royalty in Europe in the twenty-first century (this one isn't an actual conspiracy theory, just one I made up).

Any one of those could be taken, adapted slightly, and turned into being Quantum, or inherently related to its operations and/or origins.

#12 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:20 AM

I want Mr White to stay around Craig's era for as long as possible. Christensen is definitely creepy enough for the part. It would be splendid if he were the head-honcho, after presuming he was just another link in the chain. Much like Benjamin Linus in Lost.

#13 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

C'mon, Captain, no offence intended! No sarcasm, just a silly joke. Cause my takes are silly enough to make exactly your own point, don't you think? :(

#14 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

Sigh well at least i tried.

I like the name of the orgnization :(

Maybe there is a phrase in russian ro french or latin that works :)

I know english and very little spanish and a few phrases in other languages.

I agree with Captain Quantum represents literaly a blank page for the producers and writers to do anything they want.

I do not want to know the head till bond 24 though I like this sense of not knowing anything about Quantum.

#15 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

As for who Quantum is and how they came to be, there's a lot of stuff EON could drawn on to at least for the basis of the organisation ...

- The Phoebus Cartel, a cartel made up to control the price of lightbulbs in the early twentieth century. I think it would be interesting - and a little amusing in some ways - to see how this vast criminal business empire was born out of such humble and basic origins.
- The Majestic 12, the code-name of a secret military committee convened under President Truman to investigate the Roswell Incident. I'm not saying Bond should suddenly start having a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull affair, but that the UFO-investigation story could be an urban legend started to divert attention from the true Majestic 12.
- The Bilderberg Group, an invitation-only conference of powerful businesspeople, politicians and media barons emboriled in secrecy that many believe is actually a forum to discuss a New World Order being instigated.
- The Gemstone File, a conspiracy that suggests Greek shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis worked with the Kennedys, the mafia and the CIA to create America as a superpower through drug and oil cartels, that they also kidnapped Howard Hughes, staged the Bay of Pigs invasion and the Onassis was the driving force behind the assassination of both Kennedys.
- The Rosenholz Files, a collection of two hundred and eighty thousand documents compiled by East Germany during the Cold War that ended up in American hands during German reunification, and allegedly name top policitians from Finland as being involved in undisclosed activities.
- Low-ranking members of the Houses of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Oldenburg and Romanov (or, the British, Danish and remnants of the Russian Royal Families) conspiring to boost the influence of royalty in Europe in the twenty-first century (this one isn't an actual conspiracy theory, just one I made up).

Any one of those could be taken, adapted slightly, and turned into being Quantum, or inherently related to its operations and/or origins.

You seem to have forgotten the attempted Business Coup during the 1930s, as well as the sinister "Octopus" group that journalist Danny Casolaro was looking into before his grisly death in a motel bathroom in 1991.

#16 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

Hey, I don't claim to know all the conspiracy theories, just the good ones. There's not much on Casolaro's organisationas he seemed to be the only one aware of it, and the Business Coup could be worked into the Phoebus Cartel. Or something.

Personally, I like the Gemstone File the most, followed by Phoebus and the Majestic 12.

#17 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

There's not much on Casolaro's organisation, as he seemed to be the only one aware of it.

Well, then, work the scenario of his mysterious death into the story; it'd be just like a Dan Brown thriller! :(

#18 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

I'd love to see Mr white back for bond 23 as well he's still alive.

As far as the head I don't want to know that till bond 24.

Edited by Quantumofsolace007, 14 November 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#19 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:09 PM

There's not much on Casolaro's organisation, as he seemed to be the only one aware of it.

Well, then, work the scenario of his mysterious death into the story; it'd be just like a Dan Brown thriller! :(

As soon as you said "Dan Brown", I knew it would be exactly the wrong thing for Bond. Brown is the worst autor I have ever read, and my inspiration to write: because if he can pump out bestsellers, I sure as hell can.

#20 n8bond

n8bond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

I would like to think in my own sort of outlandish fantasy world that one Sean Connery would play the head of Quantum in the end. I honestly don't think he'd overshadow DC at this point because he seems to have the role quite firmly by the balls.

#21 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

I want to see White comes back, although I would rather not have him be the head of quantum. He is out on the field too much, IMHO, to be the head of an organization. I'll wait for the writers to dazzle me with their ideas on working that out.

#22 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

Mr. White turning out to be the #1 smells of Henry on Lost. But I'm still game.

#23 Vanya86

Vanya86

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

I envisaged Quantum as more of a cartel than a company, a small group of powerful people manipulating world events. There's no secret lairs or training camps, Quantum itself are just the power players. People like Greene and Le Chiffre work for Quantum but as subcontractors, and then the people below work for the different organisations Quantum control, probably unaware that Quantum exists.
Mr White meanwhile answers to the heads of Quantum and works as a facilitator/recruiter.

And while we're debating the meaning of Quantum, what if it's used in the context of 'quantum state', the world is in both order and chaos.
Just an idea.

#24 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:37 AM

I think there is also a suggestion that he could be the personal buffer between the members and the head honcho. Notice that White didn't say anything during the meeting. I think he was listening and then would relay what happened to the number one.

#25 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:22 AM

Maybe. I like the idea of White being a trusted lieutenant more than his being the head of Quantum, unless he were like Ra's al Ghul in BATMAN BEGINS; a figurehead, a prominent and public member (as far as public can be) who knows a lot about the organisation, but is really a decoy for the real head of Quantum.

#26 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:29 AM

Whatever he is, I want Mr White to come back, and to see more of him in Bond 23 than before. There's more menace in him that in Dominic Greene.

Quantum of Menace, anyone?