References to earlier films

2 replies to this topic

#1 Fozzco

Fozzco

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

I can't understand why this film has references to earlier films - Death of Fields (Jill Masterson -Goldfinger), Bond's disposal of guard on top of building (Shondor -TSWLM), Bond's credit card name(Robert Sterling-TSWLM) etc...

Although interesting for the Bond Fan to spot - they jarred slightly -by making you think "why have they done that??"
This had been done in "Die Another Day"(20th Film etc) so i don't see the need to have inserted these into this episode - which would have benefitted by using the screentime to explain more character background and story developement -ie Green's motive.

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

I'm not entirely sure why the references were made either, but (with the exception of Fields' death), I don't think any of them necessarily detracted from the plot.

#3 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

This is another aspect of Quantum of Solace that niggles me. Throw in a few scenes from previous films, and we have an original change of formular Bond.

There's not only scenes from previous Bonds. David Arnold reminds us of why he cannot score anything original by building each scene from a Barry motif, adds some annoying techo stuff, then blending it all together in a Kenwood food mixer.

As Roger Moore once correctly said; "all Bond movies are a re-write of the previous movies".