28 replies to this topic

#1 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:28 PM

As far as I can recall, I don't remember the words "Quantum of Solace" being uttered whatsoever during the film.

I can't recall the last time the movie title wasn't mentioned in a Bond movie.

#2 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:35 PM

Was 'Tomorrow Never Dies' exactly mentioned in the movie? Can't remember

#3 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

Did DAD had the line "die another day"? Not sure.

#4 ash7612

ash7612

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

yes die another day was used when bond finally finds out who gustav graves is: "so you live to die another day" i think were his exact words

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

As far as I can recall, I don't remember the words "Quantum of Solace" being uttered whatsoever during the film.

Already mentioned Tomorrow Never Dies, before that was The Spy Who Loved me. Then Diamonds are Forever, then On Her Majestys Secret Service (Her Majestys secret serrvice is mentioned, but they always leave out the word "on").

#6 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

yes die another day was used when bond finally finds out who gustav graves is: "so you live to die another day" i think were his exact words

Ah well, thanks! :)
It's a very bad line, BTW... poor Brosnan! :(

#7 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:23 AM

Mind you, it's hard to recall when that mention - at least when it's a phrase rather than a title/name - has been done particularly well.

DAD? Crass. TWINE, tossed away too easily. Living Daylights? Cliché. AVTAK? Pass the bucket.

Ahem:

EXT. APARTMENT BUILDING, RUSSIA - NIGHT

Bond exits and finds himself face to face with M.

M: Did you kill him?

Bond: No.

M: I'm surprised. The chance to take your revenge on Quantum and you let it slide? After all this effort to find them?

Bond: The only Quantum I needed to find, M, was my quantum...of solace.

Bond walks away. The audience kill themselves laughing. (One or two just plain kill themselves.)

Edited by sorking, 10 November 2008 - 12:24 AM.

#8 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:40 AM

M: I'm surprised. The chance to take your revenge on Quantum and you let it slide? After all this effort to find them?

Pause. Bond looks down sheepishly.

M: Now on to more important matters. We have located a direct lead to Quantum, this time in India. The suspect is a Ms. Ivana OvZoliss. We have a flight due to depart from Moscow in half an hour. Strictly no more fatalies. Is that checklist too long for you, Bond?

Bond: Not at all. Airport. India. No fatalities...

Pause

M: Yes?

Bond: ...Quantum. OvZoliss.

Pause. M nods with a slight approval. Bond walks away. The audience demands a refund.

Edited by tim partridge, 10 November 2008 - 12:41 AM.

#9 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:17 AM

Mathis: What you are searching for, my friend, is what we call in my country: "Una misura del conforto." A quantum of solace.

#10 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:07 AM

Mathis: What you are searching for, my friend, is what we call in my country: "Una misura del conforto." A quantum of solace.

Bond: Mathis you know those pills you mentioned? I don't suppose you have one that stops you talking like a stereotype...?

:(

#11 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:35 AM

I didn't read those subtitles... sneaky writers

#12 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:53 AM

M: Now on to more important matters. We have located a direct lead to Quantum, this time in India. The suspect is a Ms. Ivana OvZoliss. We have a flight due to depart from Moscow in half an hour. Strictly no more fatalies. Is that checklist too long for you, Bond?

Pause

Pause. M nods with a slight approval. Bond walks away. The audience demands a refund.

That was honestly one of the funniest posts I had ever read, on this or any message board. Bless you.

#13 Kristian

Kristian

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:02 AM

Pause

LOL. Good one, Tim.

Seriously, though... can someone confirm for me whether or not Mathis was supposed to tell the Quantum of Solace tale (the couple on the rocks) on the plane? Was this really nixed? Did the Broccolis fear we yanks would not know what 'Quantum' means? 'Solace'? 'Of'?

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:02 AM

Ahem:

Bond walks away. The audience kill themselves laughing. (One or two just plain kill themselves.)

Ah, perfection. :(

#15 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:11 AM

Ahem:

Ah, perfection. :(

That one was really funny too. I've only been on the boards for a short while but it's become obvious that the people here have an excellent sense of humour.

#16 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:22 AM

Pause

LOL. Good one, Tim.

Seriously, though... can someone confirm for me whether or not Mathis was supposed to tell the Quantum of Solace tale (the couple on the rocks) on the plane? Was this really nixed? Did the Broccolis fear we yanks would not know what 'Quantum' means? 'Solace'? 'Of'?

It was mentioned in the FAKE IMBD review which prompted some here to believe that it was cut. There is NO evidence for this whatsoever.

#17 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:27 AM

I'd give a hundred dollars to anyone who could make that phrase make sense.

#18 JohnFerguson

JohnFerguson

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:47 AM

I'd give a hundred dollars to anyone who could make that phrase make sense.

James Bond: "You couldn't be more wrong, Elliot. I've read all 267 issues, and I can assure you that Captain Tomorrow never dies."

#19 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:51 AM

It sounds good. Tomorrow Never Lies would have made a whole lot more sense, though.

#20 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

Bond: I'm going to stop you, Carver. We're going to bring it all down. Your plans for war. Your media empire. The TV networks, the newspaper. MI6 will kill them all.

Carver: Ha! You over-estimate your powers, Mr Bond. War plans may cease, stealth boats may sink, CMGN may fall - but I shall see to it that Tomorrow never dies.

#21 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

LIVE AND LET DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

????

#22 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

LIVE AND LET DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

????

I choose to see this as a direct challenge. :(

SO:

Kananga: Perhaps you'd like to make a deal, Mr Bond. Rather than suffer at the teeth of my sharks, I could simply...allow you to go. You take word back to your MI6 that these islands are off-limits - accept a pay-off from us and I'll spare England the spread of my heroin supply. The British can watch from afar, leave well enough alone, operate of policy of 'live and let live'.

Bond: (Blowing Kanaga up with a gas pellet) We prefer a policy of live and let die.

Solitaire: I'm surprised you didn't do an inflation-based pun at that point.

Bond: Me too. Mankie? Any chance of a rewrite?

AND:

Blofeld: You see, Mr Bond - my sparkling weapon will orbit the Earth forever. Providing global peace for the rest of mankind's existence. Those diamonds are forever - SPECTRE's ultimate protection.

Bond: SPECTRE's ultimate tyranny, you mean. Ah well...has anyone seen my girdle?

(Still not as bad as DAD's "Diamonds are foreveryone..." So long as you're willing to accept that the use if utterly dreadful, you can crowbar anything in. Doctor Who recently did an entire episode with Agatha Christie titles dropping in throughout the dialogue.)

#23 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

BOND : "Have you met my eight-legged friend Octo...pussy he may be, but have you met him....?"

BOND : "He is very much with the living. Daylights! I forget to put out the laundry!".

#24 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

LIVE AND LET DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

????

Could have just done LALD in the way, er, Fleming does in his novel? 'cos if its good enough for old Flem, it should certainly be good enough here.

#25 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

Funny, I thought they spoke French in France.

#26 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

If I understand that correctly, Mathis is Italian in the movie (even though in the German version, his accent sounds more like Spanish :())

#27 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

From Russia with Love is only written down in the film, not actually spoken. Does that count?
Ditto The Spy Who Loved Me, which is only mentioned (ie shoehorned in) in the theme tune!

#28 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

If I understand that correctly, Mathis is Italian in the movie (even though in the German version, his accent sounds more like Spanish :())

Mathis ended up quite 'Skiptic'. :)

#29 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:44 PM

From Russia with Love is only written down in the film, not actually spoken. Does that count?
Ditto The Spy Who Loved Me, which is only mentioned (ie shoehorned in) in the theme tune!

In both TSWLM and FRWL the words are sung in the Title tracks.