5 replies to this topic

#1 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 06:41 PM

The general questions about the future of Bond seem to be who will be Bond #6, who the Bond girls will/should be, the titles of future Bond films and the title song singers for those films. What about Moneypenny. With Samantha Bond saying she will probably quit her role as Moneypenny at the same time Brosnan leaves the role of Bond, who do you think should replace her?
Personally I don't think she should quit, she is a great Moneypenny I think and she just has that chemistry with Brosnan, she might even have one with the next Bond. If she does leave soon then my guess would be that there are too many people to think of who could take her place. They would probably be about 30-35 and hardly well-known. For example Kathy Burke. Now I know that isn't a great example as those in the UK will know her quite well, but those in the US, Oz and so on, may not know her at all. I know from her appearance on 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' she is possibly the last person to consider for the role, but what I mean is that she is not that well-known to the majority of Bond fans.
A more realistic potential Moneypenny might be ... Sarah Alexander ... who is in BBC1's Coupling.
Who do you think might be the next Moneypenny?

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 08:50 PM

Tough one Tedley (btw - love your tagline) but as to who could fill Moneypenny's shoes after dear Samantha moves on, I just don't know. Frankly (Pierce or not) I'd hope she'd stay. I think her and Judi Dench have a great chemistry.

Granted, when GE came out I had never heard of Samantha Bond, but I appreciated the irony of her given last name. Also, Moneypenny probably will have needed to take some time off after learning 007 was MIA. I'm anxious to see her reaction when Bond does return.

As to a replacement, I'm just not familiar with a lot of the actresses in Britain and I haven't thought of an American one who could pull it off. Then again, nobody did it better than Lois Maxwell.

#3 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 11:45 PM

I'm almost as interested at who will be the next Moneypenny as I am at who will be the next Bond. I hope Samantha Bond stays on for as long as possible, but (as I've said when this topic came up before) I think Rachel Weisz would be a great Moneypenny. Probably a totally unrealistic idea, but she seems like she'd be perfect in the role.

#4 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 06:19 AM

I never liked Samantha Bond. I thought she was irritating, not likable, and her feminist take on the role turned me off. Lets bring back the old days where Bond and Moneypenny flirted with each other. Lois Maxwell portrayed the role well and I wish Samantha Bond had been influenced by her.

#5 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 10:30 PM

I just hope that before Samantha Bond throws in the towel, she's given a decently written role as Moneypenny. She's capable of so much more than the puerile double entendres that she's generally saddled with.

Let see her given a part comparable to Dame Judi's turn in the limelight in TWINE.

I'm hoping we'll see that in DAD.

#6 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 10:55 PM

I heard that her part is a bit bigger in DAD. Heres hoping :)