5 replies to this topic

#1 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

What did we all think of the Minority Report "holo-table"? Personally I thought it will obviously date the movie (but it's not even comparable to the crapness of that "thing" Q uses from FYEO), however, the design was fantastic and the whole thing seemed pretty plausible, IMO. The only great negative as far as I am concerned is that the editing is so slice 'n' dicey that the filmmakers are stretching it too far expecting us to keep up with all of the information, jumping needlessly between multiple angles. It hardly looks like the easiest computer interface around as it is, so messing around with the editing angles like they did really did not help matters!

Kind of funny how there is this "no gadgets" policy all round, yet the Hitchhiker's table is more outlandishly sci-fi than an underwater car or even an invisible car...

Edited by tim partridge, 07 November 2008 - 02:39 PM.

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

MK12 did a brilliant job. :(

I loved their title cards aswell.

#3 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

Is this it for the holotable discussion?

#4 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:34 PM

Well, I rather liked it, but it looked a little bit like a "giant iPhone" ad at some point :(

#5 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:05 PM

"Iphone", exactly! I wanted Sarah Jessica Parker to walk in and say "I can't use this".

Do we think having one mega, over the top sci-fi prop is better than having lots of smaller gadgets throughout the film?

Edited by tim partridge, 10 November 2008 - 11:06 PM.

#6 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:29 PM

I may very well be alone in that league, but I'm not that much against spy gadgets. They were the major appeal of Bond when I was a kid (and in some respects, I'm still a big kid :(). Some "down-to-earth" gadgets, à la Fleming, would do Bond some good. I hope they'll e reintroduced in Bond 23.
In the "mega, over the top sci-fi prop" department, this one wasn't bad though (not too much over the top, like, say, an invisible car :)).
On the other hand, I really believe that the "Iphone" desktop will visually date the film quite quickly. A miniaturized lockpicking tool hidden in the form of a key, for instance, is timeless. And it's time for Craig Bond to start lockpicking doors like a real spy now, enough of him tearing out the lock and smashing through the door! :)