7 replies to this topic

#1 PlayItBogart

PlayItBogart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:32 AM

Has anybody else given the Nintendo DS's QoS a spin besides me?

I haven't gotten too far in it yet but I do like the approach Vicarious Visions took in making it a touch game. Being a sideways stylus game isn't just a fresh perspective, it feels like how our gadget-ridden Bond would play.

I would suggest going through the MI6 training level twice just to get the hang of the combat and mechanics before going too far in the game.

#2 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:44 AM

IGN scores the DS version 6.8 and the Wii version 4.5.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the DS version scores higher than the Wii version.

#3 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:48 AM

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the DS version scores higher than the Wii version.

Why?

They are two independent games developed by different teams. Are you saying that games should be naturally better because they have more horse power behind them? That's like saying a movie released this year has no right scoring below Gone With the Wind because modern films have a lot more technical advantages over classics.

Also, there is the issue that games are reviewed on IGN in relation to the standards of the platform that are on. A 7/10 game on the DS doesn't mean it is of the same quality as a 7/10 game on the Xbox 360, for example. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Edited by Mr Teddy Bear, 06 November 2008 - 04:50 AM.

#4 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:54 AM

Why?

They are two independent games developed by different teams. Are you saying that games should be naturally better because they have more horse power behind them? That's like saying a movie released this year has no right scoring below Gone With the Wind because modern films have a lot more technical advantages over classics.

Also, there is the issue that games are reviewed on IGN in relation to the standards of the platform that are on. A 7/10 game on the DS doesn't mean it is of the same quality as a 7/10 game on the Xbox 360, for example. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Track record tends to show that when a game is released on both consoles and handheld systems, the console versions generally get higher scores across the board than the handheld versions so it is a bit surprising.

#5 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:01 AM

Track record tends to show that when a game is released on both consoles and handheld systems, the console versions generally get higher scores across the board than the handheld versions so it is a bit surprising.

Exactly right.

#6 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:02 AM

That may be the trend, but that is likely due to developers putting all their resources into big budget console games and outsourcing the handheld version to a B-grade development team. It happens all the time with multi platform games; there is a core platform and then secondary ones thrown in as an afterthought to capitalise on the hype train the overall product will generate.

If you want to point fingers for poor review scores a majority of the blame surely has to be the developers, not the hardware the game is running on.

#7 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

Actually, the game is more entertaining thani I thought it would be :(

Edited by BlackFire, 07 November 2008 - 06:29 PM.

#8 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:47 AM

I own the DS version, but there's a lot of problems with it. For example, I just finished the "La Paz" level. I kept on dying because there wasn't any time to rest up and reboot my health. Am I the only one who has this problem?