This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Your favorite emotional scene in Quantum of Solace.

46 replies to this topic

#31 Craig is 007

Craig is 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

I actually cried during the scene where Mathis dies in Bond's arms. That was a very touching moment. And the scene at the plane, where Bond is sitting with a martini and a photo of Vesper in the bar, was very emotional. Another powerful moment, when Camille and Bond are trapped inside the burning room at the Eco Hotel, and he whispers in her ear, before he shoots the hydrogen tanks and blow their way out. That gave me chills all over my body.

Edited by Craig is 007, 09 November 2008 - 03:15 PM.

#32 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

The scene towards the end where Bond and Camille face a fiery death. The fact that Camille, echoing Bond's early advice on killing someone, wants JB to kill her instead of being burned alive is one of the most uncomfortable and disturbing scenes in the series' history. In fact it' probably the darkest scene period.

And yet...just as we think he'll do it he finds a way out. That's James Bond not Bourne right there folks.

#33 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:09 AM

The scene towards the end where Bond and Camille face a fiery death. The fact that Camille, echoing Bond's early advice on killing someone, wants JB to kill her instead of being burned alive is one of the most uncomfortable and disturbing scenes in the series' history. In fact it' probably the darkest scene period.

And yet...just as we think he'll do it he finds a way out. That's James Bond not Bourne right there folks.

That´s the scene I would mention above all others also. The scared look on her face, her voice - very well acted and surprisingly so. We are used to great acting from DC by now, but she was very much his equal in that. Then the final scene in the car. "I wish, I could set you free.."

#34 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:29 AM

Agree completely. A for me totally unexpected scene and the darkest I´ve ever seen in a Bond film.

#35 ibledblackngold

ibledblackngold

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:47 AM

After seeing the movie for the first time tonight I was not sure how to react to what I had seen. This was a good Bond movie in my opinion, however, I just didn't feel it had the plot involvement that CR had to make it a good general movie. But after reading about the more in depth meanings and emotions put into the little bits of the plot here and there I am getting the feeling that I picked these things up all along and am just now connecting them all together. For instance the Mathis and Bond scene, and the amazing Bond and Camille scene in the hotel. (My heart was about to explode) Now THAT is was makes a great movie. I have a feeling that every time I watch this movie over I will pick up more and more depth from within it.

With the alternative ending cut involving Mr.White and the trilogy option being questionable does any one feel like this puts a damper on Bond 23? I don't know if its just me but I feel like as we are getting used to seeing Bond evolve and change, the ending to QoS has put almost a wall upon anymore emotion changes within the Bond character. Its almost as if Bond has now learned his lesson and we will go back to the shoot-em-up weak plot movies we had seen before. I really hope this doesnt happen and we can see this evolution even more in 23. The franchise its at it's highest point right now, and that is simply because of the meaningfulness and movie depth for the true fans.

Also with this ending chosen, what are your opinions on the take of the next movie. (how will they approach it? etc.)

#36 Elvenstar

Elvenstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:46 PM

Adore the Bond-Mathis scene on the plane. I think their exchange there, along with Bond's lovelorn look really encapsulates the entire heartbreaking lovestory;it works much more effectively than when White talks abt Vesper and when Mathis talks about Vesper to Bond at the villa.

Fully agree! I start crying just thinking about it. Tragic and romantic at the same time.

#37 Se7en

Se7en

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:06 AM

I would have to say it is either the part when Mathis is dying and Bond is holding him or when Bond thinks about shooting Camille so that she doesn't burn alive. Truly both are very emotional.

#38 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:08 AM

Bond holding Mathis really got to me, it was very touching.

#39 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:11 AM

I agree too, I almost cry when Mathis died.

#40 Bryan Harris

Bryan Harris

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:50 AM

After Bond corners Yusef and explains to his terrified girlfriend Corinne exactly what her man has been up to and how she should get out and go square things with her bosses while he and Yusef settle up, she gets up to leave and whispers "Thank you", as if relieved that Bond didn't kill her. Understated and surprising.

#41 Se7en

Se7en

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

After Bond corners Yusef and explains to his terrified girlfriend Corinne exactly what her man has been up to and how she should get out and go square things with her bosses while he and Yusef settle up, she gets up to leave and whispers "Thank you", as if relieved that Bond didn't kill her. Understated and surprising.

I was a little confused. What happens to Yusef?

#42 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

He probably gets arrested by the two agents that wait infront of the building when Bond exits. Bond clearly states that he did not kill him.

#43 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

She said thank you for him sparing her the crap she would have faced had her relationship with Yusef progressed not because Bond didn't kill her.

#44 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

My favourite emotional scene has to be the part were Mathis gets killed, apparently Bond thought so to, he shed a tear.

#45 EyesOnly

EyesOnly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:35 AM

There is absolutely one scene I can't get out of my head, and that would be the confrontation between Bond and Yusef. There is something very Bondian, Fleming Bondian about that scene. This is 100% professional Bond here, and I ate it up. I loved everything about the scene....clothing, PPK, his speech the way he handled the scene from beginning to end.....100% Fleming Bond--the spy! LOVE IT!

#46 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:58 AM

The end when Bond drops Camille off and she speaks words which we know Bond is actually wanting to speak...

#47 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

By specifically referencing one of the most iconic of these sequences and focusing not on the glamour of the death but on Bond's distress Forster is showing the shallowness the older films often have.

My god, have you watched Goldfinger ? Bond isn't shallow when Jill is killed, he is moved by it. Just watch him when he rings Leiter, or when M's reprimand him later. Even Tilly's death is a great dramatic moment, all performed by Connery. At no place anywhere does QOS approach this. Craig's performance is the pits. This movie is the worst 007 flick ever made, and right here, It's the emperor new clothes, with fans reading in QOS things that aren't anywhere in it. It's all back to Brosnan era, where people were clutching at straws, finding the sacrificial lamb death in TND amazing, or having a tear when Bond is dreamy on the beach. A cat is a cat and a bad movie a bad movie, however much one likes it.

I accept some find QOS great, but please, don't make it look like it's the citizen kane of the 007 pictures, while demeaning the classics Connery Bonds. (not talking to you especially, but everyone).