HELP! i'm studying goldfinger for AS Film

14 replies to this topic

#1 The Girl With The Golden Gun

The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Location:Deep inside my hollowed out volcano...in the South of England!

Posted 28 September 2002 - 02:29 PM

hi,
calling all those british students who are doing, or have done, AS Film Studies at college (or any uni Film students for that matter). our 3rd unit of the course is the swinging sixties and within that we have to study Goldfinger and the Bond movies (yess!!) so, i'm just shouting for help on the cinematic elements of the movie, or any other help u might be able to offer! email me at [email protected]

many many thanks (especially to Icepheonix aka Trevelyan and Mr Asterix who made this post possible!!)

bec
aka The Girl With The Golden Gun

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 03:02 PM

You MUST get the book Goldfinger: The Ultimate A - Z by Adrian Turner. You can get it on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co...2586518-0778058

There's also a new less expensive pocketbook size here: http://www.amazon.co...2586518-0778058

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 05:44 PM

I wish I could choose a James Bond book to study for my Senior 4 (grade 12) English class/exam. We read all sorts of fantastic literature, but no Bond...

#4 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 08:34 PM

What do you want help with Girl With The Golden Gun... are we talking relating theorists to the films or what? I might be able to help... I did A Level Media Studies which has huge chunks of film studies in.

#5 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 10:10 PM

I'm in year 12 Media class and so I may not know a lot but my form tutor is also my teacher for Media. What kind of aspects of the film are you looking at? Editing, Propp, Levi-Strauss, Todorov, or anything else. I know I may not be good as I've only really started the subject recently, but I'm sure others can help too. What kind of things are you needing help with on this?

#6 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 08:23 PM

thanks for all your suggestions. i've already bought the York Film Notes for Goldfinger, but zencat, i'll certainly look into the others. maybe i should just call this Adrian Turner up... :))

i've only recently started the course. we'll be looking at GF along with "If", A Hard Day's NIght (the beatles) and Clockwork Orange, the unit is entitled "British cinema in the swinging sixties" (and yes, i know Orange was made early 1970's!!) when i find out more i'll of course let u know what aspects i might need help on, if any. it just intrigues me that with the beatles etc. there is the relationship of a group of young men contrasted against the many relationships of the lone James Bond 007... anyway, i'll keep y'all posted. thanks

#7 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 09:31 AM

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:03 PM

I think you're on the right track. Nice work.

Read my Goldfinger subtext article here on CBn. That might give you some pretty wild insights. :)
http://www.commander...es/1369-1.shtml

#9 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:12 PM

Is that the thing about stealing daddy's girl zen. I love that one. It's very clever.... makes you think about the film in a different light.

BTW GWTGG... my tip for good marks... state, don't evaluate. Watch using value judgements (like the "OTT titles" thing... that's you evaluating in your opinion... say something mlre along the lines of the highly sensual titles sequence that depicts moments from the film to tease the audience across the body of woman, showing the idea of sexuality in the Bond film and how the films centre of relationship (both sexual and emotional) with the women Bond meets.) gets you better grades if you state then relate the thing to the film.

#10 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 04:22 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Read my Goldfinger subtext article here on CBn. That might give you some pretty wild insights. :)
http://www.commander...es/1369-1.shtml

How does one notate an article on a website in a bibliography? Just curious.

#11 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 07:32 PM

mister *, when doing a bibliography just include complete website address. its best to annotate your essay (or whatever it is u need a bibliography for), giving reference to that particular website and place the annotation at the bottom of the page.

#12 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Evil Doctor Cheese
Is that the thing about stealing daddy's girl zen. I love that one. It's very clever.... makes you think about the film in a different light.

BTW GWTGG... my tip for good marks... state, don't evaluate. Watch using value judgements (like the "OTT titles" thing... that's you evaluating in your opinion... say something mlre along the lines of the highly sensual titles sequence that depicts moments from the film to tease the audience across the body of woman, showing the idea of sexuality in the Bond film and how the films centre of relationship (both sexual and emotional) with the women Bond meets.) gets you better grades if you state then relate the thing to the film.

- thanks for the tip, cheese. as i've only just started the course this "macro" study (as its called) is just a practice run. so far we've looked at Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction!! it did occur to me that i shouldn't have used such a term, but of course that didn't happen until AFTER i handed it in...d'oh! still, u learn from ur mistakes. hey, i got an A+ for my reservoir dogs micro study!!!!

#13 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 08:33 PM

Originally posted by The Girl With The Golden Gun
Tilly is subsequently shot....

Sorry to flag this GWTGG, but Tilly is the first/only victim to be felled by Oddjob's lethal bowler. An emotional moment for Bond as he seems to realize that (by being involved with both women) he's responsible for the death of two sisters.

Also, do check out Zencat's post on GF. It's quite good.

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 09:48 PM

You know Girl w/GG that when you get this whole thing completed we would be very interested in taking a look at it to post as an article in the CBn film section.

#15 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 07:44 PM

to Bryce - thanks again for the memo. i must clarify this point...THIS IS JUST A PRACTICE RUN AND A NARRATIVE STRUCTURE CHART FORMS ONLY A SMALL PART OF THE MACRO!!

I've read the GF article and felt that although it gave me a greater insight into the film and made me appreciate it more, there was no need to include it at this stage. the narrative structure chart is meant only to be brief in charting the narrative progression. i may, however, cite the essay should i come to do this macro for real, plus we'll be studying GF and other 60's bonds as part of the course anyway :)