This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

On Her Majesty's secret service is the best Bond movie ever.

63 replies to this topic

#61 ROGERJAMESMOORE

ROGERJAMESMOORE

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

It is the best bond film ever always will be.

#62 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

There just wasn't anything I found particularly menacing, evil, or interesting about this incarnation of Blofeld (I say the same thing about the DAF/Charles Gray version). His plan was good, but the man himself lacked the fear and mysterious evil of earlier versions.

What was mysterious or evil about Donald Pleasence's comedy dwarf?

He looked and sounded calmly insane. Sevalas's Blofeld looked and sounded like an everyday greedy, over-confident businessman.

Of course he does, and so do all the other Bond actors.

I completely disagree with that notion. Moore, Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig all have a great presence in their Bond films. Lazenby was decent, but he didn't match Connery nor the other actors in this category.

#63 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

There just wasn't anything I found particularly menacing, evil, or interesting about this incarnation of Blofeld (I say the same thing about the DAF/Charles Gray version). His plan was good, but the man himself lacked the fear and mysterious evil of earlier versions.

What was mysterious or evil about Donald Pleasence's comedy dwarf?

He looked and sounded calmly insane.

He played it like a pantomime villain. Nothing subtle or calm about it.

And I don't see what was 'geeky' or 'everyday' about Sevalas's Blofeld. Like Bond, he's an urbane, physically threatening, snobbish, womaniser, except with no moral conscience.

Of course he does, and so do all the other Bond actors.

I completely disagree with that notion. Moore, Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig all have a great presence in their Bond films.

As did Lazenby.

#64 Lektor

Lektor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

I love almost everything in OHMSS.

It has the...

...best bond girl in the series: Tracy Di Vicenzo: one of very few Bond girls with substance, depth and some complexity

...best actress in the series: Diana Rigg: looks, acting, everything (I might even consider her the best actress in the whole series)

...best villain in the series: Blofeld; Nemesis of Bond!

...best villain actor in the series: Telly Savalas; he's really haunting during some scenes. Example: During the "helicopter-approach scene", when he wants Tracy and how he unzip his clothes, his narcissistic and delusional mind shines through on a micro level, and his whole plan during the movie, on a macro level. I think his plot is actually insane and creepy but ingenious at the same time.

...best theme in the series: John Barry - On her majesty's secret service

...best soundtrack in the series: songs like "We have all the time in the world", "Do you know how christmas trees are grown" and instrumentals like "Ski Chase", "Over & Out", "Battle at Piz Gloria", "Bond meets the girls", "Escape from Piz Gloria" etc.

...best ski chase-scene in the series

...best montage scene in the series: Rigg, Lazenby & good old Louis Armstrong :)

...best development (romantic/dramatic) between two characters during one movie in the series: Bond & Tracy

...best love scene in the series: Lazenby & Rigg in the barn

...best emotional/symbolic scene in the series: When Tracy show up on the skates (like an guardian angel) and smiles that warm smile, while a confused and vulnerable (a first in the series?) Bond is chased and tries (almost a bit childish) to hide behind his coat. All accompanied by the wonderful chorus of "Do you know how christmas trees are grown". Noticable is that Bond gets scared for real by that person in the bear costume, it really sums up his state of mind at the time and how scared he really is. The scene shows Bond as a human, not the larger-than-life superagent. Also, the camerawork, editing, buildup is fantastic. I can watch this scene over and over again. After Tracy shows up and save Bond and extrordinary firework lightens up the sky!

...best dramatic scene in the series: Helicopter apprach/Tracy reciting James Elroy Flecker. The acting by Rigg and Savalas is absolutley astonishing. With wrong actors the scene could become campy/cheezy, but they do it perfectly. I think there's only one sort of actors/actresses that can pull off reciting a poem in a movie. Rigg could do it, so could Dench.

...best ending in the series: emotional, human, haunting and sad

maybe also best character development (Bond, Tracy, Blofeld, Draco) during one movie in the series? Also one of the best henchman/henchwoman in the series: Irma Bunt.

I consider to say that OHMSS has the best director (directing an actor who had no acting experience and get the best out of him isn't a walk in the park (I know, I've done the same), screenplay, cinematography and photography. But since seeing Skyfall, I think that movie is a heavy contender for those...

I even rank Lazenby as better than at least Craig, Brosnan and Dalton. OHMSS is THE Bond movie according to me. Would even place it top 5 on my list of movies in the same genre, and def. top 15 all movies.

Ok, now I'm done :)

Edited by Lektor, 07 January 2013 - 02:53 AM.