This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ian Fleming's The Spy Who Loved Me as a Daniel Craig short film.

10 replies to this topic

#1 JackUnion

JackUnion

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:14 AM

So perhaps this has been proposed but I was recently re-reading The Spy Who Loved Me. And though it would never make a great feature, I thought it would be interesting if the story was shot as a short film staring Daniel Craig. I like the story a lot as a sort of small James Bond side adventure. And it really plays well as Bond fighting against two horrible killers story. I find Viv' Michel's back story to be a bit uninteresting, it builds her character...but in a Bond Novel I seek action, Bond, and the Villains. But it would help add some more depth to the new Bond Character as he fights off two nasty dudes at a road side motel in up state New York. Though the premise sounds kinda horror genre campy...I think if it were approached right it could be a really good supplement to the the character as he chases after Quantum...dare I say SPECTRE. Anyway discuss amongst yourselves.

Also if you know the villains' specific physical details and persona...I for some reason see Matthew Lucas and David Walliams playing the parts...seriously...not Little Britain style.

#2 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

I think that's a cool idea. I can even see such a short film in my mind now.

#3 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Lucas and Walliams as villains? I'm not sure it would work at all, people wouldn't be able to divorce them from their comic characters. Nor would I want a short film developed from the novel. But, what I would like to see is the sequences with Bond developed into part of a full length Bond movie - with Vivienne Michel as the main girl, possibly.

#4 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

TSWLM filmed? Sounds like a pretty cool idea. I don't see it happening, though.

#5 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, I'm there, too. Act 3, maybe part of act 2, would be a nice short film. They'd obviously have to make the baddies a little more of a modern threat than the hoods that exist in the novel. I'd love it if the opening (would there be a PTS in a shot film??) were the story Bond related about catching up with the SPECTRE agent in Canada.

In any case, that alone would make for a good PTS, even if nothing else were used.

#6 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

Would make a good pretitle sequence or perhaps a great cene afte the main title sequence.

Edited by Quantumofsolace007, 12 October 2008 - 02:01 PM.

#7 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

Lucas and Walliams as villains? I'm not sure it would work at all, people wouldn't be able to divorce them from their comic characters.

Lucas - Yes, but Walliams is a really talented actor, he's done some great stuff in the past and there's no doubt in my mind that he could go on to do more serious film and TV work in the future. But really, Matt Lucas is a joke from start to finish!!!

#8 JackUnion

JackUnion

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

Good comments. I just think as a short film it would be interesting just to set it up as the novel does...from the girls first person perspective. I think that it should have some internal dialog and voice over. We always see a bond girl...but what are they thinking in their heads. I think it would help to give depth to bond girls in general. I mean they can act and talk...but now they can think.

More about Lucas and Walliams....I'm just think about them on physical appearance alone...not really on their personal acting styles. But what other actor do you know thats completely hairless and a little on the heavier side?

#9 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:41 PM

I actually kinda enjoyed TSWLM when I read it 20 some odd years ago. I would not mind seeing it as part (or a short) movie, but it won't happen because Ian Fleming requested that it never be filmed when he sold the rights to Broccoli/Saltzman.

#10 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

Sounds like an interesting idea, I'd be up for it. Not to keen on the idea of Lucas and Walliams as villains though. I'd probably go with unknown actors.

#11 Cabarita Island

Cabarita Island

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

I've just finished reading The Spy Who Loved Me again and Skyfall immediately sprung to mind when reading the shower scene in the second last chapter.