• PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

'The best Bond game since "GoldenEye".'

The new trailer is here.

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=rutbXC0QWBo

:(

Oh... My... God - These graphics are amazing!

"The Best Bond Game since GoldenEye!"

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

Rolling up to Kingly Street, my partner and I looked at each other. A quick nod of approval, and we understood what lay ahead. Ellis looked at me, and I looked back at her; we were there, and ready for business. After a long and tiring morning, we arrived at the Quantum of Solace hands-on with a new found enthusiasm. Our first mission, you ask? We needed to surpass the guard and enter the top-secret building without alarming anyone. Once this objective was completed, we were ready to reap the rewards of an enticing new treasure. Something unknown, and tremendously exciting lay ahead for us. As we cooly slipped past the helpless resistance, I wink at my apprentice, readying myself to get to grips with one of the most anticipated James Bond titles since Goldeneye: Quantum of Solace: The Video Game.

Unfortunately, some of the above may not be true. We didn’t have to slip past any defence, and I definitely didn’t wink at her. If I was that cool, I would be the guy earning millions from playing such an adored hero like Mr Bond himself. Luckily, at least one line from my over-excited account was correct; Thunderbolt had landed at the hands on, and was mightily impressed with what they saw.

As we entered the event room, it was immediately clear that this title was the real deal, and not breaking down under the hype of expectation. Fully kitted out with various single-player and multiplayer booths, the area reeked of a perfectly smooth and suave aroma. Throw in a free bar and a handful of ultra high-tech touch-screen tables, and you have yourself a pretty debonair event. So, once the initial anticipation had worn off, what did we actually see and how did it play?

Our first encounter with this mega-title was with a brand new and unseen single-player. Set on a speeding train, we couldn’t have been thrown any deeper into proceedings. With rain lashing down, and enemies all around us, it certainly echoed of the opening level in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Of course, any comparisons to a behemoth like this are usually far from the truth; however, this time this respectful analogy didn’t feel deceitful or unjust. As we make our way through the aristocratic train carriages, we encounter our first set of opponents to eliminate. A quick shot to the head, and one is down; unfortunately for us, he has brought friends, and they aren’t here to play nice. As fire reigns down, we take sheltering cover to stop us being annihilated from the incoming barrage of bullets. Switching to third person, the player can really appreciate how exact the likeness of Daniel Craig appears here. Reloading his gun, and then popping back out of cover to finish off the rest couldn’t be an easier, more seamless task.

After dispatching the inferior, it’s time to head outside and see what the roof of the train has to offer us. Once up and outside, the true scale of the title honed in on us like a flock of bloodthirsty bats. We were immediately sucked into the dramatic, and exceptionally produced atmosphere, as outside everything got far more real. As we make our way along the train, we notice that the incoming storm is having an effect on how we progress. We try and walk as slickly as possible, but nature isn’t letting us have it easy. Having to push the stick forward as directly as we can, the FPS viewpoint begins to shudder from side to side, as Bond fights through the extreme conditions. Throw into the mix electrical cables running alongside you and human opponents on opposite carriages, and you have yourself an insanely addictive and authentic Bond experience.

Once the area was clear, it was time for us to make a leap of faith from one impassable carriage to the next slightly less daunting one. Weighing up our options, we throw ourselves onto another hellish ride, only to miss and fall prisoner to the unforgiving pains of, well, being crushed by a train. As our life diminishes, we notice the screen closing up, finishing with the iconic Bond sight and a gush of mockingly crimson blood. It’s times like these that enabled us to appreciate how the license has become more ruthless, and is now a lot less forgiving than its predecessors. A quick restart and we're back; ready to propel ourselves aimlessly off the train once more. This time, we landed. Gathering our composure once more, a quick dash forward enabled us to take some cover from the endless rain. As we readied ourselves for the next firefight, we exited the refuge and headed outside. Silence. As any decent game player can understand, this means there is something big going down. Suddenly, from behind us, we notice another train pulling alongside. With enemies littering each window, we are forced to break out a machine gun rather than the effortlessly professional silenced pistol we had been assassinating with. As we were totally outnumbered, we needed a way out of the situation. Did we find it? By god did we.

Hidden behind the endless amount of goons, an angel in the darkness appeared in the form of a glinting, lustrous gas canister. Recognising our way out, we launched two bullets into its overly inviting base. Impressively, intoxicating fumes began to knock opponents off their feet, as the sheer pressure was impossible for them to endure. After five seconds of struggling for our enemies, the game was up. The entire carriage engulfed in flames, launching opponents around like a set of human grenades. Within minutes we had entered the world of James Bond, and had been blown away with what we had seen so far. Luckily for us, this was only the beginning, and more of this sure-fire hit was to come.

So, it was time for us to move on and head towards the multiplayer section of the event. For a game using the same engine as the aforementioned Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, this sure was an intriguing prospect for us. In fact, as soon as we sat down to play over LAN, those comparisons were given life once more. Excellently, the renowned golden gun that was widely loved in Goldeneye was the main focus here, as the group of journalists battled it out to gain its one shot, one kill wonder. We experienced the “Embassy” map, and I can tell you it’s hugely reminiscent of the Call of Duty 3 map set in Mayenne. This is by no means a bad thing, and threw us into the competitive combat straight away. With the choice of three different classes, we decided to go with the ever-popular assault weapon set. The choice of being a sniper on this map would have been an incorrect one, as it has certainly been built for close encounters, rather than expert precision. A shotgun was also on offer, but we decided our best way forward was to go with an automatic machine gun once more. As the game set up, each player looked at each other, totally unaware of the brilliance they were about to experience. After reviewing COD 4 and praising it’s illustrious multiplayer marvel, this was an exciting prospect for myself in particular.

As soon as the warfare kicked off we were having a hell of a time. The combat was wickedly satisfying and hugely responsive throughout. Seeing your opponent hiding in a room with the golden gun, only to sneak up on him and eliminate the threat is something very special, especially as it means you now have possession of the most powerful weapon seen in the game. With a laser sight perched on top, the gun launches a single explosive, destroying anything that lies within its grasp. Picking this beauty up means you become the main target of your enemies, as they all want to caress this beast and boost their chances of winning the match. A couple of killing streaks later, and the game comes to an end. Taking a step back for a second, we ready ourselves for another bout of the multiplayer, and begin to get a feel of the scope the title holds as a package. Smartly designed maps, an enticing single-player, and a superb elegance to presentation sticks in our mind as something virtually unheard of from a film license.

As round two begins, things only get better. With the headset covering our ears, it was all too easy to get drawn into the surroundings around us. Gunshots, grenade blasts, and the occasional screams of delight from journalists across the room perfectly highlighted just what a well-produced multiplayer experience has to offer. Immediately, the title felt familiar with friends, nodding towards Activision’s successful games of the past. Just like COD 4, this is going to be a hit online with FPS veterans. Whether or not it usurps Infinity Ward’s excellent creation from the top spot remains to be seen. One thing is for sure though; Quantum of Solace: The Video Game features one of the most impressive multiplayer modes ever seen in a licensed game, and is sure to be a huge hit with the older and younger James Bond fans alike.

Moving on once more, we were ushered to our final interactive hands on of the day. After our dealings with the train earlier, we were invited to try out the second new and totally exclusive single-player level. Set inside a science exhibition, we were pleasantly surprised at how differently it played compared to our earlier experience. With more direct encounters with our enemies, we really managed to get a feel of how well the combat system has been implemented. Impressively, if an enemy is in a bad position, and is likely to be killed, they run towards the nearest cover. As they scamper away, hurdling over obstacles in a manic flurry, they are prone to a bullet or two in the back. It’s totally refreshing to see AI that panics, just as they would in real-life, and then throw their life into major jeopardy with the hope they can save themselves. Opponents also call out to each other, and reassure their allies that they are still alive and well. This kind of detail adds to the atmosphere considerably, meaning players can almost feel sorry for those who he eliminates with such ease.

Impressively, the feel of the interior throughout the science exhibition felt a world away from the drama-inducing journey we experienced earlier. It wasn’t just the various settings that held variation though; there were also a number of different gameplay elements brought into play here. Firstly, we were introduced to a new mechanism used to unlock doors under pressure. Although extremely basic, it did help us feel like the perfect under cover agent, as we matched on screen directional commands and eventually got the all clear green light of progression. Later on in the level, the third person aspect of the title reared its head more often, as Bond is forced to balance over beams in order to move over otherwise impassable objects. Headed with a simple balance meter, this kind of design has been seen before. It’s unoriginal, but does help to break up the constant shoot-outs pretty well, and certainly adds to the thrill of playing as James Bond.

Progressing through this level was easier than the pressures of train surfing, and eventually led to a set piece of admirable proportion. As you dive into a lift the power is immediately cut off. Facing a tough task to escape, players will see the level of the building they wanted to arrive at, only for the doors to shut slightly, and offer them a tense thrill as the lift begins to creak and tilt. Seeking a quick escape, players must climb on top of the flailing elevator as soon as they possibly can. Once standing on its roof, the last part of this thrilling sequence is certainly the most impressive. Latching onto a ladder at the last second, the lift plummets into the abyss below, sending an army of flames towards the summit of the area that Bond narrowly escapes from. As a first impression on the single-player campaign, we couldn’t have been treated to a grittier, more explosive and impressive section of the game.

As our time with Quantum of Solace: The Video Game came to an end, we could certainly look back at the day with a fond appreciation of a title that is sure to enable a lot of Bond fans to live out their wildest and most extravagant dreams. With such a well-produced and highly charged single-player mode, it’s almost impossible not to sit up and take notice. Throw into the mix a meaty multiplayer that looks to be on par with the best, and a sprinkle of pure coolness for good measure, and you might have found yourself the sleeper hit of the year. Only time will tell, but this one looks set to deliver something big. Oh boy, we’re in for a treat come October 31st.

http://www.thunderbo...ew-for-all.html

Sounds FANTASTIC! :(

#3 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:33 PM

Oh my :(ing God! What an amazing game!!

Just 27 days!

#4 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

That does sound awesome!

#5 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:24 PM

Awesome! Anyone have this trailer in higher resolution? Looks great.

#6 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

looks amazing

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:18 PM

[Moderator's Note: Topics merged]

#8 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

Those sunglasses give him that Jack Bauer look. :(

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:57 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

'The best Bond game since "GoldenEye".'

#10 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:01 AM

The fact that it's been called "The Best Bond Game since GoldenEye!", makes this look even more promsing!

#11 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:43 AM

Yeah, it does. I just knew this game was going to be a treat.

"Quantum of Solace: The Video Game features one of the most impressive multiplayer modes ever seen in a licensed game." That makes it sound even better.

#12 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

In effein credible! My only problem is deciding whether to get this for the pc or the ps3.

#13 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

The fact that it's been called "The Best Bond Game since GoldenEye!", makes this look even more promsing!

I seem to remember this phrase being used to describe other Bond games over the years. However, it seems like this game has the the best shot to date of being a worthy successor.

#14 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

The trailer does look awsome. Probably anyone who sees it would want to play it :(

#15 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:49 PM

I finally played the demo. Even loaded on my daughter's dual core machine with a high-end video card I had to choke the video settings down to around the mid-level to play. I think this might have to go on a gaming console to run smoothly.

But I enjoyed the brief demo - great weapons and the engine feels great!

#16 Mojito007

Mojito007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

I finally played the demo. Even loaded on my daughter's dual core machine with a high-end video card I had to choke the video settings down to around the mid-level to play. I think this might have to go on a gaming console to run smoothly.

But I enjoyed the brief demo - great weapons and the engine feels great!

Weird. I have a single core AMD Athlon 3500+ 1gb, GeForce 8800GT 512mb and it ran smoothly on max.