26 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 04:04 AM

It's been almost forty years since premier of Dr No in London on October 5, 1962 and to celebrate CommanderBond.Net will be presenting a special tribute to the first film from our favourite cinematic film series.

Beginning September 29 and running till October 5 CommanderBond.Net will be presenting a series of special articles that all share one core thing, Dr No and the 40th Annivesary of the cinematic James Bond.

#2 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 05:18 AM

Beautiful gesture, Mr. Dykes. It would be nice if some television networks would do something similar, but I guess this tribute is something only a true-blue Bond fan would do.

#3 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 11:24 AM

yes, I plan to watch Dr. No on the 5th and all the speical features, it is the least I could do for the film that started it all.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 02:17 PM

Hey Daniel

Any chance of giving us an idea of what we can expect to whet our appetites between now and Sunday?

#5 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 03:20 PM

Just on a quick note; German station RTL which features loads of Die Another Day material on its website and has already bought the TV rights for Die Another Day is going to show Dr. No on October 05 :)

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 03:31 PM

A very cool gesture. I also am planning to watch DN the evening of the 5th. A few friends, nice dinner and some Bond.

Also, just found out that the special "Bond girls are Forever" will be airing here in the US on Nov. 6 on AMC. Check your times.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 09:00 AM

Glad you guys are looking forward to it :)

What can you expect? Quite a few articles. We've tried to look at various elements. Bond girls for instance, the film itself. We've got some promising features. Hopefully everyone will like them :)

#8 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 04:24 PM

Sounds good to me. At first, I thought that it sounded like the TBS "15 Days of 007." I guess not. Anyway, sounds promising.:)

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 05:14 AM

Well the first article has just gone up. This one isn't quite an article, however, it is a new CBn feature of the film summaries.

I have to extend a big thanks out to Mr * and Mr Moon for the designing and implementation of the film summaries. They're very stylish, and very Bond :)

#10 cool guy

cool guy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 05:21 AM

I'm definatly gonna watch DN on the 5th! This is a very great time!:)

#11 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 09:30 AM

Hey, there's a competition on German TV on October 05th :) RTL shows Dr. No at the same time as ARD shows The Spy Who Loved Me :) And there's a Bond night on ARD anyway: after The Spy Who Loved Me they're going to show Licence to Kill and Diamonds Are Forever :)

#12 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 03:42 PM

Excellent job on the article there, guys. How many articles do you plan to do? Because I had an idea: instead of one or two CBn staffers doing the articles, maybe each staffer should have their own take on Dr.No. Whaddya think?

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 07:07 AM

All the article have already been written (bar one which I'm still waiting on), so it is as it is now Double-Oh-Zero :) But there's always 50 years :)

#14 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 11:14 AM

Hope that wasn't me, Dan? :)

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 03:57 AM

Nope Paul :) Got yours :)

#16 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 04:20 AM

I am definitely going to watch my Dr.No DVD on October 5. :)

Awsome!

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 11:03 AM

And another article has just gone up. This one by 'Freemo' and it's great to see him moving away from Freemo's Friday to do an article for another part of CBn :)

#18 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 11:45 AM

Not sure quite where to post my congratulations to Freemo on an excellent DR. NO piece, which makes clear that all the elements that made the Bond series great were there right from the beginning. It was the first, and it's still one of the very best....

#19 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 12:23 PM

Thanks Loomis and yes, I argee that Dr No is one of the best. Previously I would have rated it at the middle of the pack but a recent viewing has given me a new appreciation for the first Bond film. :)

#20 HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 01:13 AM

Great articles you guys have been giving us this past week on Dr.No! I just wachted the film last night, and really liked it more then I thought I did. This movie had great acting,directing,editing ect. It was a great way to start the series.

#21 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 01:18 AM

Glad you enjoyed it HailtotheKing :) It was great to be able to pay tribute. In fact, I think we're about the only site that did. That's a sad fact thought :)

#22 BondNumber7

BondNumber7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 10:04 PM

Leave it up to CommanderBond to focus on something others might very well be ignoring. I like Freemo's article's and I find much humor in them. Plus I like Freemo's contributions to this site. Cheers!

#23 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 10:16 PM

Well look forward to other 007 Days of 007 :) They're going to become something of a trademark :)

#24 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 01:55 AM

I have to say that Dr. No is one of my favourite Bonds. I can;'t say why, but it is. Good on you CBn.

#25 Blofeld

Blofeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 03:07 AM

Hello everyone out there in 007land!
This is my very first post as a member of this great-looking forum, and I figured, what better place to begin than with a thread about Dr. No. I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one to celebrate Dr. No's 40th by watching my dvd edition of it. However, I popped it in my player on Oct.6th, which, if I recall correctly, was the exact theatrical release date in London. Dr. No is one of my personal favourite films in the series, at least in terms of the Connery films. I also own the Criterion CAV laserdisc which contains the then contraversial audio commentary track.
I must say, it's great to be able to talk Bond with a bunch of great fans from around the world, see ya on the forums folks!:)

#26 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 03:28 AM

Welcome to the site Blofeld :) I have to confess, I have no idea what the laserdisc is with the contraversial audio tracks? Care to fill me in? :)

#27 Blofeld

Blofeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 03:52 AM

Well Blue Eyes,
I honestly haven't had the chance to compare the commentary tracks on the laserdisc and dvd. My understanding is, that the commentary on the laser had to pulled out of circulation when some apparent "bad mouthing of the studio" by I think Terence Young was spoken of. This of course being done before all current dvds which include commentaries indicate the "does not reflect the opinions of the studio, it's parent companies, or it's affiliates" disclaimer quote. For all I know, the track may be exactly the same, now that so much time has past and laws have changed. Regardless, I'm quite sure that the dics itself is rare and would fetch a chunk of change on e-bay IF I were willing to part with it.