Posted Image

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

Oooh! Looks like the same set as the torture sequence. Looks like this level will be expanded. :(

#3 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

Oooh! Looks like the same set as the torture sequence. Looks like this level will be expanded. :(

It looks like it. How exciting this game is shaping up. I'm interested to see how they handle this, since in the film Bond is in Le Chiffre's custody immediantely after the car flip. And he's in no shape to do any of these heroics after his ordeal.

#4 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:24 PM

I can see why they cut the torture, but it was a pretty important part of the story, character-wise. Also, why does Bond then go to Venice if not to recover. how does he get woth Vesper ect.? I hope they can cover this sort of thing and not just throw in some arbitrary explanation. Although Treyarch did some brilliant work re-writing Spider-Man 2, to include new characters ect., so...

Also, it is a very pretty game...

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

The torture hasn't been cut from the game, some footage was included in a BTS video involving a Tuxedo booted Bond, sitting on a chair and Le Chiffre hovering over him with a rope. :(

#6 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

Yes, there will be poker and torture scene cinematics. They will not be playable, though.

#7 Melancholy Productions

Melancholy Productions

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:09 AM

That sure as hell better not be Le Chiffre firing at Bond. I hate when games, especially Bond games, resort to the gun VS gun boss battles. Best example of going against the norm was defeating Kiko in Nightfire, where all you did was press the button to drop the gangway.

#8 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

That sure as hell better not be Le Chiffre firing at Bond.

Hmm. I can't really tell if that is just another guard or Le Chiffre himself. Le Chiffre wears all black though, this guy does not. Maybe, and this being a big maybe, Bond miraculously frees himself from the torture scenario and shoots his way out - instead of Mr White doing it for him. I suppose it could also remove the recuperation period Bond spends with Vesper.

If it came to be, I guess it could appeal to the crowd that wanted Bond himself to kill the villain and get revenge for such a vile torture. We would always have the film for the original scenario.

#9 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

I can't help but feel they may have done a FRWL style butchery of the plot with this one. Imagine the films plot with the torture scene taken out and Bond killing Le Chiffre instead. Doesn't work anymore, does it? I hope they know what they're doing.

Although, it could be structured so the playable action takes place BEFORE Bond is (re) captured and tortured. Or, since there are no vehicle sections, maybe they cut the Aston crash and have Bond infiltrate the barge to rescue Vesper, get caught, and get his knackers smashed in.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but it could happen...

#10 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

Although, it could be structured so the playable action takes place BEFORE Bond is (re) captured and tortured. Or, since there are no vehicle sections, maybe they cut the Aston crash and have Bond infiltrate the barge to rescue Vesper, get caught, and get his knackers smashed in.

Maybe. We are just throwing ideas around, but I think the scenario you describe would work a lot better.

#11 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

Well I think that is indeed LeChiffre. But perhaps this is after the torture?

#12 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

It's not Le Chiffre. It looks nothing like him up close. :(

#13 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:57 AM

I hope it's not Le Chiffre. I don'y want to think I've had the climactic onfrontation given away in one shot.

Although, the trophies list awards for killing Gettler in one shot, and Opening a trap door or something with Mr White. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have one for Le Chiffre if you get to fight him.

#14 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

I hope it's not Le Chiffre. I don'y want to think I've had the climactic onfrontation given away in one shot.

I don' think it is Le Chiffre, I'm pretty sure it's just another gaurd. I think YouKnowTheName is probably going to be correct, in that Bond goes after Vesper, only to be caught. Cue the cinematic sequence that faithfully follows the film's events.

#15 Melancholy Productions

Melancholy Productions

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

I don' think it is Le Chiffre, I'm pretty sure it's just another gaurd. I think YouKnowTheName is probably going to be correct, in that Bond goes after Vesper, only to be caught. Cue the cinematic sequence that faithfully follows the film's events.

Looks to me like the same hairstyle and outfit Le Chiffre bears in that scene in the film. Oh well, guess we'll find out soon enough.

I really hope we get a PS3 demo (and Xbox 360 for those who own one) soon!...

#16 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

:(

This game manages to overwhelm and disappoint me.

Now it's doing the latter.

I sincerely hope that they haven't butchered this scene. I'm one of those, who takes a quick look at that character Bond is shooting. The character seems to have Le Chiffre's hairstyle and I will be disappointed little Bond Fan, if they're going down this route again, adding a shooting sequence, where shooting sequence does not belong.

This is why I prefer the games with original plot; they can't butcher the scenes seen in the movies... or read from the books.

I'm still waiting for my Bond game that actually has some spying and adventuring... instead of straightforward shooting.

#17 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

It is a shame that Bond games continually miss out on what Bond is all about while other games, like Hitman, use far more spy-like gameplay to great effect. I guess game devs don't think that Bond fans are intellegent enough to appreciate gameplay that involves thinking or tactics, and just want to give us piles of girls and explosions. Because Bond films don't have brains or plots ar anything. Do they...?

I know this was EAs method. EON didn't even let you point your own gun, the auto aim did it for you unless you hurt yourself. And John Cleese very kindly told exactly where to go in case you got lost in any of the completely linear levels. I hope Treyarch hasn't screwed up. I really, really do.

#18 Slapdown

Slapdown

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

I really don't think that's Le Chiffre. I was watching a video of the PC demo and noticed this:

Posted Image

If you look at his hairstyle, it's the same as the guy in the torture level pic. So it's just a re-used enemy with a hairstyle similar to Le Chiffre's.

#19 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

^^ I think you're right.

I think the Le Chiffre in the game will be wearing the all-black tux. If that was Le Chiffre in the pic, he would be wearing it. A new costume means a new character model, and that is time and effort that devs rarely put in. Hence Characters in film tie-ins usually have a smaller wardrobe. Even if they did give Le Chiffre an alternate costume, at this point in the game he should be wearing the tux anyway. ther's no point in changing it.

Also, did anybody see that shot of Bond and Vesper on the train where Bond is wearind a tux? It's in one of the BTS vids. Now, in the cinema interview, he has a suit in all the train footage. What gives? Surely he doesn't get changed mid-way through...

#20 Melancholy Productions

Melancholy Productions

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:46 AM

I really don't think that's Le Chiffre. I was watching a video of the PC demo and noticed this:

Posted Image

If you look at his hairstyle, it's the same as the guy in the torture level pic. So it's just a re-used enemy with a hairstyle similar to Le Chiffre's.

Thanks for that, Slapdown. That's a relief...

#21 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:27 AM

I'm still waiting for my Bond game that actually has some spying and adventuring... instead of straightforward shooting.

Agreed. All this time I've been creeping around Splinter Cell games as Sam Fisher, pretending all the while that 007 is the man behind the trifocal goggles.

#22 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

Splinter Cell games are fine example. But I'd prefer copying elements from Splinter Cell games and the Hitman games, that give players many different styles to play through a level.

Sure, Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell games, heck, even the straightforward shooting games that the Bond games have been so far, the biggest Bond feel I've gotten from, yes , you got it, from the Hitman games. They really give you the spy feeling. Even if you're a bald, clone assassin, with tattooed bar code on the back of the skull :(

Agent 47 also seems to have a similar dress code to Bond's. That is, whenever he's not changing into someone else's costume.

Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cells, though, are more techno-thrillers , with much emphasis on the technology. Not just on the gadgets.

But, yeah. If Activision would mix-and-match all these tried ingredients, we'd have a very good BondGame in our hands.

#23 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

^^ I said something very similar on another thread.

Why do they keep drawing inspiration from the same small pool of action-type games? I understand it's easy and obvious, but look a bit further afield!

Why does everyone just accept that hand-to-hand has to be a third person QTE? Take a lead from Condemned. Brutal FRS melee combat that feels like it packs a punch. Bioshock- great cut-scene free story telling, in first person. Look at the crane chase in CR and look at Mirrors Edge. In QOS it looks like a big QTE.

The ingredients are out there. Just because a game is based on a film deosn't mean it has to be a linear fairground ride of a game. Give us some free form. Do something different. That was what GoldenEye did...