This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Goldeneye Rogue Agent Too Much Into The Future?

9 replies to this topic

#1 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

Do you think that Goldeneye Rogue Agent has too much Science Fiction?

I mean right now, you cannot magnetically deflect bullets, magnetically "throw"/move a person, see through solid objects, or have a remote controller to activate any machinery around you.

Also the weapons are more advanced than the ones we have now. Take the Mag-Rail for example. Being able to shoot electromagnetic pulses (like in Terminator part 3) through solid objects.

What do you think?

#2 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:45 AM

Well, things like that made me avoid this title.

Let's say if the title had more Bondian feel, except that you'd be the evil opposite of Bond. That might have worked better. As it is, I'm only interested in this title because it's cheap and yet I have some doubts about the game.

Please tell me. What does Zorin and the Golden Gate Bridge have to do with the plot? Have they been just thrown in the game. How's duel against Oddjob?

If I get answer to the questions, I don't need to try the game myself :(

#3 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:38 AM

What does Zorin and the Golden Gate Bridge have to do with the plot? Have they been just thrown in the game. How's duel against Oddjob?

Nothing, Golden Gate Bridge is a fantastic multi-player map. And you don't duel Oddjob. There is a brief cinematic of a fatal altercation, however.

Anyway, this is a video game we are talking about here. Science fiction is ideal for video games. Of course you cannot deflect bullets, use force fields to throw people or look through objects with a cybernetic eye. It’s basically the whole point; it’s a form of escapist entertainment, with the objective being fun.

I know the game offers an explanation of how the eye works, but don't even bother looking deep into it, it just is. People need to learn not to be concerned about realism all the time, particularly concerning something like a video game. "Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream."

On the topic of the weapons, I think they are among the very best in any Bond game. They’re imaginative and just fun to use, particularly the likes of the Mag-Rail, Omen XR, MK2 Detonator and the Tesla EM.

#4 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:18 AM

It is, in my opinion, the game with the best effort put into it. It looks more relistic.

I mean, in multiplayer, in the "pump room", if one of you gets crushed, try looking at the dead body and notice that is moves differently than just falling forward or to the side. I think you can also get yourself crushed between the bay floor doors in the "Mining Pit." That's what happened to me once.

#5 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

It is, in my opinion, the game with the best effort put into it. It looks more relistic.

You'd better be careful Agent James. Those are fighting words on this website. I have been fighting for Goldeneye: Rogue Agent since I first played it. No one here seems to like it. I think it's because it doesn't feature Bond at the end beatig the crap out of the bad guy. I don't know.

To all the other members, this post is only in jest. I do enjoy Goldeneye Rogue Agent, but everyone else is entitled to their own opinion.

#6 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

I'm a fan of this game, and its actually the sci-fi stuff i like in it. i don't like it as much as its immediette pre-decessor (Everything Or Nothing which is by far my favourite Bond game), however i do still have fun playing it.

#7 S.P.E.C.T.R.E_Agent_44

S.P.E.C.T.R.E_Agent_44

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

I Liked Goldeneye: Rogue Agent For One Reason, The Maps. Both Multiplayer, And Single Player Have Great Maps. I Especially Liked Scaramanga's Fun House, And How They Had The Golden Gun Placed On Its Pedestal Where It Belongs, And The Bond Manikin There Too.

#8 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

No one here seems to like it.

I think it's because it's an old game (2004) That was about 5 years ago. I think there are newer games that are better nowadays like Halo3 and Call of Duty.

#9 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

YES!

Level by level things got sillier. By the time I reached Crab Key I was already fed up with shooting armored high tech enemies that don't belong in the Bond Universe. Shooting them with these nonsense futuristic weapons and getting shot at by these damn silly futuristic weapons. I think they should've kept the game more down to earth. You know, only applying the eye with different vision modes, removing the silly futuristic weapons and enemies that don't belong in the universe where Bond exists.

This is the worst thing EA pushed out of it's dunghole... After owning the game only for a few days, I already want to call it a day and take the wretched game back to the store I bought it from.

#10 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:36 AM

No one here seems to like it.

I think it's because it's an old game (2004) That was about 5 years ago. I think there are newer games that are better nowadays like Halo3 and Call of Duty.

Now, I disagree with this statement, and here is why. There are people out to this day who will never play a game that was made after 2008, but you put, for example, The Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo, and they are in High Heaven, or even still, put Goldeneye, the original for the N64, and they are nearly doing things that can not be said in mixed company. I think it depends on the person.