This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Getting to know your ofellow board member (a game of sorts).

86 replies to this topic

#31 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 08:37 PM

My favourite holiday destination is Seoul. Okay, here's my question: if you were to learn another language, which would you choose?

#32 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 08:44 PM

I speak English and German, so that's out of the question. I also speak a little Dutch (only a little). I would say Japanese, Russian, or Swedish. Heck, I probably would learn them all.

Okay. What is your favourite flavour of ice cream? Mine is raspberry, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

#33 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 08:45 PM

Dr T. why is it all the bad things happen to you involving men with loaded guns? Anyway, the closest to that my family have had is that a while back the radio was stole, they also had 2 nuts from the tyre taken off, with a third hanging off. My mum noticed it when she got home and thought the car didn't drive right. When she noticed 2 nuts were missing and 1 was half out, she carefully took it to the garage and had some new one's put in.

#34 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 08:48 PM

Oh the ice-cream! I don't really have a favourite, although I do like most things lemon. I like Lemon Torte, Lemon Merangue (?) and lemon flavoured ice-cream. I do like others but I suppose to answer your question I would say lemon. My question? If you could be in a Bond film, other than Bond who/what kind of character would you play? I suppose I would like to play a villian or even a henchman but have a feature that stood out (like Jaw's teeth, Oddjob's hat, Tee Hee's claw).

#35 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 08:57 PM

I would either like to be Q because of all the gadgets. It would be fun to mess around with them all and be able to "test" all the cars!

What languages do you speak at present? I speak English, German, and a little Dutch.

#36 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:29 PM

Favourite Colour: Pantone 485, Reflex Blue

Embarassing moment: Accidentally taking a prostitute to the Prom (Top that!)

Favourite Film: The Terminator, Time After Time

Favourite Musical Aritsts: Van Halen, The Scorpions

Ethnic Background: Western European

Favourite Animated Movie: Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm

Favourite Non-Bond Author: Douglas Adams

Favourite Actor: Bruce Willis, James Earl Jones

Favourite Actress: Mary Steenburgen, E.G. Daily

Breakfast: An Omelet or Eggs Benedict

Sandwich Filling: Meat

Horror Movie: From Dusk Till Dawn, Army Of Darkness

Coffee: Empty

Snails: Love 'em. Eat when ever I can afford it.

Favourite Holiday Destination: My parents house on the island.

Car Ripped Off At Gunpoint: no

New Language: Japanese

Favourite Ice Cream Flavour: Moose Tracks

Bond Movie Role: Felix

Languages Spoken: English, Basic, Fortran, Cobol, and a score of French words

My question: What pets do you have?

My answer to my question: 1 Basset Hound, 4 Cats

#37 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Tedley King
Dr T. why is it all the bad things happen to you involving men with loaded guns?

These men with loaded guns I've posted about aren't criminals, but soldiers. Only the tyre slashing incident could be described as bad, but that was a geniune mistake on their part (well on the part of one of them).

They're allowed to walk anywhere they want where I live and they used to use our gardens (and probably other people's too) as a short cut. So them walking through my gardens is something I saw on more than one occasion.

#38 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:58 PM

I have 2 painted turtles. :)

BTW, I have never seen any armed men in my garden and have never gotten a car ripped off.

What is your favourite type of cheese? Mine is definitely Gouda.

#39 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:58 PM

Guess I'd better post a question (sorry).

Do you fear flying ?

#40 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:02 PM

I don't fear flying in the least. I love to travel and my favourite place to get from Point A to Point B is by airplane. I also just find it fun to fly. I love flying.

Restating my question: What is your favourite type of cheese? Mine is Gouda.

#41 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:05 PM

Favourite cheese? boursin.

#42 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:11 PM

Question: Did you get thumped on the head a few times by a drunken lout a few hours after you had been to see TWINE? (I did).

#43 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:15 PM

No, I have never been thumped on the head a few times by a drunken lout after seeing TWINE.

What hasn't happened to you Dr. Tynan. First, soldiers walk around your yard on a regular basis and then you get thumped after seeing TWINE. You should write a book about your life. :)

I can't think of a question at the moment.

#44 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:44 PM

Coffee? Any. I love it
Snails: Never had 'em, wouldn't mind trying 'em
Holiday? Probably Cannes or Chamonix. I just loved it there.
Car ripped at gunpoint? No.
New Language: French or Japanese.
Ice Cream? Mint Chocolate Chip
Bond Movie Role: Q, M, or Blofeld.
Pets: One Calico Cat named Zoe.
Cheese? Gouda
Fly? Yep. I love it.
Drunken Beating after TWINE? Nope.

My question? What car do you drive? Mine is a 2000 Chevy Cavalier.

#45 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 03:10 AM

In fairness, it

#46 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 06:11 AM

Favourite Colour: DAD Blue :)

Embarassing moment: Too many to name.

Favourite Film (non Bond): Sunset Blvd

Favourite Musical Aritsts: Mozart

Ethnic Background: All American White Boy

Favourite Animated Movie: Spirited Away

Favourite Non-Bond Author: Paul Theroux

Favourite Actor: At the moment...Jude Law

Favourite Actress: At the moment...Angelia Jolie

Breakfast: A slice of ham covered in Tobasco!

Sandwich Filling: Well roast beef

Horror Movie: The Bride of Frankenstein

Coffee: Black and strong.

Snails: Yes, and I like 'em!

Holiday destination: Swinging London, baby!

Now my question: Name two

#47 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:38 AM

Guilty pleasures: Vincent Price films and non-vintage champagne

Q: What do you get the most satisfaction from?

#48 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:07 AM

Favourite Colour: Blue, Zencat was nice enough to term the one I like too, DAD Blue!

Embarassing moment: Ha! Now this is a good one. Yes Jim, it's related to a girl. It was a few years back now and I was on holiday in a little place called Mildura (as he lives there, Freemo is both insulted and smiling at the same time :)). Anyway, it was New Years Eve and as Mildura has a great night life (read: one main street where everyone goes) I walked up and down it. Of course, my parents were in toe, behind me, being somewhere in my teens I was too cool to walk with them. So there's this pretty blonde in front of me, I say pretty, I mean damn shaggable. And, as I do, I look at her. And she looks back, and keeps looking even as I walk past her. So at this stage, she's standing next to my parents, whom she hasn't connected with me. So she's nice enough to turn to her friends and say "God, I'd shag him" [I say shag, but the word beginning with F would only censor here]. So yes, I'm mortified, and got one of those awful lectures a few hours later from my mother. You know the type? Well from dad, I think it was a pat on the back.

Favourite Film (non Bond): Casablanca

Favourite Musical Aritsts: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, Count Basie and Jamiroquai

Ethnic Background: Maltese mother, English father

Favourite Animated Movie: A Bugs Life

Favourite Non-Bond Author: Stephen Kings (particularily Hearts In Atlantis)

Favourite Actor: Anthony Hopkins tie Hugh Grant

Favourite Actress: Keira Knightley

Breakfast: Sultana Bran

Sandwich Filling: Peanut butter (love the stuff!)

Horror Movie: Harry Potter. I wasn't scared, but I was horrified at the prospect of how **** the film was.

Coffee: At a cafe. With a cute girl :)

Snails: I used to like to step on them when I was a kid. Would I consider eating one? How much would you pay me to do so?

Holiday destination: Depends. London and places with a nice beach, good surf, good snorkling and good sun!

Car Ripped Off At Gunpoint: no

New Language: Love to learn French or German

Favourite Ice Cream Flavour: Chocolate Peppermint

Bond Movie Role: Bond, James Bond

Languages Spoken: Queens-English (Australian English is a horrid addition to this world), Maltese (swear words only :))

What pets do you have?: Goldfish, believe it or not. I had a pet dingo once, her name was Tan. Got her when I was five and I had to have her put down last year after she had a stroke. I haven't got over that yet, so no pets for me for quite a while now.

Guilty pleasures: I really can't answer that one sorry!

What do you get the most satisfaction from?: What are these forums rated again? Okay I'll be careful. Women and success in various things.

My question:

Car You Want (And Can Seriosuly Afford)?: An Audi TT

#49 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:55 AM

It was a few years back now and I was on holiday in a little place called Mildura (as he lives there, Freemo is both insulted and smiling at the same time ). Anyway, it was New Years Eve and as Mildura has a great night life (read: one main street where everyone goes) I walked up and down it. Of course, my parents were in toe, behind me, being somewhere in my teens I was too cool to walk with them. So there's this pretty blonde in front of me, I say pretty, I mean damn shaggable. And, as I do, I look at her. And she looks back, and keeps looking even as I walk past her. So at this stage, she's standing next to my parents, whom she hasn't connected with me. So she's nice enough to turn to her friends and say "God, I'd shag him" [I say shag, but the word beginning with F would only censor here]. So yes, I'm mortified, and got one of those awful lectures a few hours later from my mother. You know the type? Well from dad, I think it was a pat on the back.

Never a dull moment here in Mildura, your Dad must have been so proud. :)

#50 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 09:54 AM

He was. Tell me, is Mildura like that all the time? I may have to pay it a visit next New Years :)

#51 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 09:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Favourite Colour: Grey
Embarassing moment:
Well, this one's quite funny. On my mate's 14th birthday 7 odd years ago there was (me, lach, greg and sam), being the young "hard" fella's the four of us were, and considering another one of our friends parents who lived 4 houses up was away, we decided the 4 of us that it was time for our introduction into the strong alcohol... We started off quite harmlessly it seemed at the time with a glass of vodka and lift each (the vodka filled up a 1/3 of the highball glass) we wondered why it tasted a little strong. Anyway after that, we decided to head out for a walk and drink as we went (august in Oz isn't that cold) and so since the vodka was finished. We opted for opening our mates dad's 2 litre bottle of Jack Daniels to celebrate Sam's 14th. Well we hit the road and didn't have anything to mix the JD with so resorted to swigging it from the 2ltr bottle. By the time we got to a girls house from school (who was quite a looker and friend of ours) who lived a few blocks away, we were beginning to feel what we called "slightly drunk," (read VERY drunk) and our mate Lach confessed his feelings for this girl and EXACTLY how he would like to let her know. (R18+). After 5 minutes of this, we proceeded to the park a few hundred meters from her house were the 4 of us kept drinking and ran around like idiots for what seemed like half an hour, but was really 5-10 minutes. Anyway we left, got back to a walkway near Sam and Greg's house were the 4 of us had just finished swigging the JD straight, well... Lach went down big style and greg passed out unconcious, I was left looking at the stars for a while. At the same time all I can hear is lach calling out "I WANT MY MUMMY" at the top of his voice for 10 minutes, then everything went blank and I remember a torch.... Cut to next morning and i'm at home asleep.

Lachlan's insistant calling out for his mother had resulted in concered neighbours calling the police, whom after arriving quickly threw me into the back of a "paddy wagon" and drove me home. Greg nearly died and Sam's father who's b'day it was spent the night looking after him (his dad's a DR.) Lachlan is to this day trying to live down his nickname of "mummy's boy" and Im stuck with the "paddy van man" title. But after spiliting 2 ltrs of JD straight and having alcohol poisioning one good thing came about, I don't get hung over anymore :)

Favourite Film (non Bond): Casablanca

Favourite Musical Aritsts: NoFX, Bad Religion, The Ataris, No Use For a Name, No Fun At All, Good Riddence, Strung Out, Rancid, Lagwagon

Ethnic Background:Ozzie

Favourite Animated Movie: eh.. The Lion King I guess was pretty cool.

Favourite Non-Bond Author: Andy McNab

Favourite Actor: Bogart, Grant, Gable (simply because there films are always good)

Favourite Actress: Jennifer Garner, Gillian Anderson, Catherine Bell

Breakfast: Nil

Sandwich Filling: Vegemite

Horror Movie: None. Though I imagine if i ever saw xXx...

Coffee: Black, 2 sugar's

Snails: friendly creatures

Holiday destination: Whitsundays, cause it only costs airfare.
Car Ripped Off At Gunpoint: No thankyou.

New Language: German, began learning it. Then got put in the class with my mate Sam. Any chance of learning a thing suddenly went out the window.

Favourite Ice Cream Flavour: Vanillia, Chocolate

Bond Movie Role: Well... Bond thanks.

Languages Spoken: English, Australian English and very average Ozzie English

What pets do you have?:2 cats

Guilty pleasures: Smoking, drinking, cars and birds
What do you get the most satisfaction from?: please see above.

Car You Want (And Can Seriously Afford)?: CLK 55 AMG.

My question; Favourite Simpson's character: Homer.

#52 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 12:49 PM

Blimey, didn't know we had to do the lot.

Colour: Always bet on black

Embarassing moment: London Underground, cramped train, baby on lap, me in wheelchair, baby starts leaking, an "aroma", remainder of passengers clawing for air. Although on reflection, they might have thought it was me, such is the way minds can "work"

Film (non-Bond): The Wages of Fear

Musical artists: Officially - 9 year old daughter and her recorder. I must be encouraging. Unofficially - Napalm Death

Ethnic B/grd: Mother Jamaican, Father White West Indian

Animated film: Because I've had to sit through it so many times, The Lion King. I have lost any critical faculties where that's concerned.

Non-Bond author: Charles Dickens

Actor: Klaus Kinski

Actress: Faye Dunaway

Breakfast: Vitamin pills and numerous morphine based supplements, at the moment.

Sandwich filling: Rare - dripping blood - roast beef with horseradish and fried onions

Horror Movie: Les Diaboliques

Coffee: Double espresso, no sugar

Snails: Dripping in garlic butter. Tip top.

Holiday destination: North shore Jamaica (family home)

Carjacked: Nope - don't drive anymore

New language: Creole French would be fun.

Ice cream: Banana

Bond film role: Dr Kananga/Mr Big

Languages spoken:French, itty bitty bit German, Russian, Lawyer

Pets: I wanna dog. Wife says no. Boo. And hiss. Otherwise, children's hamsters, namely Hodgepile, Dresden and Keith.

Car you want: Want the foot back first...

Satisfaction: Can't get no...

Simpsons character: Sideshow Bob

Another question: Your prize possession?

#53 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 04:05 PM

Coffee, black.

Snails, yes, both escargot and Chinese-style.

Vacation? Any -- I love to travel.

Car tires ripped off, no.

QUESTION: How many times have you been in love?

#54 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 04:12 PM

Colour: No idea.

Embarassing moment: I don't want to go into it, but it involved much alcohol, chundering and nudity.

Film (non-Bond): Far too many to mention, but HEAT (the De Niro and Pacino one, not the Burt Reynolds flick) and THE BIG LEBOWSKI are among my favourites of recent years.

Musical artists: The Stone Roses/Ian Brown, The Smiths/Morrissey, New Order/Joy Division, The Beatles, Oasis.

Ethnic B/grd: Anglo-Saxon (I think).

Animated film: Anything from Disney's classic period, e.g. DUMBO; you can keep all the shoddy-looking stuff they do nowadays on computers.

Non-Bond author: Leonard Maltin.

Actor: Donald Pleasence.

Actress: Uma Thurman.

Breakfast: Usually just coffee and fags, unhealthily enough.

Sandwich filling: Avocado and crispy bacon.

Horror Movie: DEAD OF NIGHT, THE EXORCIST, HALLOWEEN, THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE, THE WICKER MAN.

Coffee: Black, very strong, no sugar.

Snails: As Jim says, dripping in garlic butter.

Holiday destination: Saigon, Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai. I've been fortunate enough to holiday in several interesting places this year.

Carjacked: Never.

New language: Vietnamese.

Ice cream: Only genuine ice cream bought in Italy.

Bond film role: Tiger Tanaka.

Languages spoken: French, Mandarin, some Japanese.

Pets: I like dogs although I am not currently an owner. Wouldn't mind having a few snakes a la Slash from Guns N' Roses.

Car you want: None. I haven't driven for eight years.

Satisfaction: Now and again.

Simpsons character: Homer, whom I fear I am increasingly beginning to resemble.

My prize possession: My LICENCE TO KILL DVD.

How many times have I been in love: Maybe twice, and infatuated probably about ten times.

Another question: Where were you when you heard about 9/11?

#55 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
Horror Movie: DEAD OF NIGHT, THE EXORCIST, HALLOWEEN, THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE, THE WICKER MAN.

Ooh! Ooh! The Wicker Man is one of my all-time favorite movies! I love that movie.

Car you want: None. I haven't driven for eight years.

That's unusual. Why is that?

Another question: Where were you when you heard about 9/11?

I was on the Tappan Zee Bridge. If I had thought to turn my head to the right, I'd have seen it.

#56 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 05:04 PM

Well, I guess the main reason why I haven't driven for such a long time is that for the past few years I've lived mostly in the centre of London, where owning a car can be a real liability, and I've also spent a lot of time overseas.

#57 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
Well, I guess the main reason why I haven't driven for such a long time is that for the past few years I've lived mostly in the centre of London, where owning a car can be a real liability, and I've also spent a lot of time overseas.

Oh, I see. People in New York City often don't own cars as well. In fact, I owned a car when I lived in NYC and it was a TOTAL pain in the neck.

#58 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:38 PM

I'd rather not answer all of the questions.

Ethnic background - White European

Snails - I've never had them, I don't think I want to.

Languages - English (that's all).

Ice cream - Chocolate, then Yellow Man.

Music - I'm an eighties man.

More later.

Question: Did you ever set off the fire alarm in your school?

#59 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 09:15 PM

I've never set off a fire alarm at school, then again my school is meant to be the best boy's school in Newham (London). Although now part of a mixed school (the same boy's school and it's partner 6th form with an all girls school) are both one of the best at getting A lever results in Newham. I don't think many would dare do such a thing, they wouldn't last long in either well respected schools!

Q: Which Bond song would you sing at a karaoke?

I guess I might have to sing Tomorrow Never Dies or even The Living Daylights as the others I'm not 100% on the lyrics and also I have a deep voice so can't get too high, although I can just about do Crow's TND!

#60 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 09:27 PM

I didn't set off the fire alarm alarm at my school either.

Bond song I would sing at a karoake? All of them, except "Jump up" and "Three Blind Mice". The chances of me singing at a karoake are slim.

Question - Have you ever had any of your Bond posessions stolen?